Waverly 08-09

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Waverly 08-09

Post by bucki4life »

The S.O.C. will be very good this year with Burg, Oak Hill, Valley, and NorthWest. Where does Waverly fit in since they lost a few seniors and lost a transfer to Pike Eastern.

Is it safe to say that when the holiday classic gets here that Waverly will be the 4th best team in it? For some reason i think they like the "underdog" role and may really surprise some people.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Waverly Basketball looking to improve

Post by trojandave »

I really don't know what Waverly has coming up from the JV and freshman teams but I do believe that the Tigers have a quality coach at the top in Travis Robertson. I would look for WHS to have some good point guards in the future because Coach Robertson was a very good one himself at Washington Court House.

tiger2012
Riding the Bench

Post by tiger2012 »

I think Waverly will be a lot better than last year. Even though they graduated almost the whole varsity team last year they didnt have a lot of basketball players on the team, just athletes that could play any sport in the world and be good at it. The tigers return Roback and Martin who started on the varsity last season and a pretty good sophmore and freshman class. Kretzer is goin to help the tigers out a lot. He is the real deal. I also heard the foreign exchanged student can play some ball too. All in all i think the tigers will compete for the SOC this year if they continue to work hard and play to their potential.

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

I had heard the rumor about a foreign exchange student at Waverly who is about 6'8". However, I will be the first to admit that my source was someone I know who is very capable of fabricating some things. It sounds like this foreign exchange student does exist after the last post. How tall is he?

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

Who transferred to Eastern Pike?

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

Thornsberry i belive he is a sophmore

crossover
Waterboy

Post by crossover »

Yes Jordan Thornsberry is a sophmore and is now playing ball at Eastern. I was told that the exchang student is about 6'8 and could dunk the ball anyway you want him to and that he could also stroke it from the volleyball line. I was told this by people from waverly so my thoughts are overated!

AndyDufresne
Waterboy

Post by AndyDufresne »

By OHSAA rule, foreign exchange students must be placed in a school randomly, and not targeted by a school for a specific reason (ie being a really good basketball player). Was this the case at Waverly?

bucknut 23
Varsity

Post by bucknut 23 »

Eastern Brown has another Australian this year. From what I've seen he can play and is about 6'6".

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

The exchange student is not 6'8" but he does jump well. I would guess he is about 6'6"- No one knows if he will be good enough to start- but I am sure they will use him. Waverly will have some size with Roback 6'3", Martin 6"3", Kretzer 6'4", and Victor (Exchange student) 6'6".

I wish them luck for the upcoming season!

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Captain Jack wrote:Would a kid who is a good basketball player living with an assistant basketball coach be suspected of not being placed at random?

That is what I call "pot" luck :-)

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Are you sure that Martin and Roback are the same size? Seems like Roback is a couple inches shorter, but both are impact players on the floor. I look for the Tigers to be better this season as well, no idea how the exchange student is, but Kretzer is very good and if they can get good guard play, watch out!

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Don't know about the guard play but i will tell you this-coach Robertson will not put up with poor guard play- I wouldn't be surprised to see three or four different kids getting a chance and maybe never settling on one but whoever is hot that night.
I know they played a lot of basketball over the summer and I think Travis and Willie think they will be better than others think, so they must be OK with what they have coming with guards.

Waverly goes 10-10 if the big kid is average- and they could go 13-7 if he is real good. Kretzer alone is worth 5 more wins, he is a great shooter. They will be a lot funner to watch this year. The future looks very bright for the young Tigers, the freshman class is good (record something like 10-6 last year- beat Chillicothe, won year end tourney, and did all of this without Jake). Don't forget Harrison is only in 10th grade.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

bucki4life wrote:Don't know about the guard play but i will tell you this-coach Robertson will not put up with poor guard play- I wouldn't be surprised to see three or four different kids getting a chance and maybe never settling on one but whoever is hot that night.
I know they played a lot of basketball over the summer and I think Travis and Willie think they will be better than others think, so they must be OK with what they have coming with guards.

Waverly goes 10-10 if the big kid is average- and they could go 13-7 if he is real good. Kretzer alone is worth 5 more wins, he is a great shooter. They will be a lot funner to watch this year. The future looks very bright for the young Tigers, the freshman class is good (record something like 10-6 last year- beat Chillicothe, won year end tourney, and did all of this without Jake). Don't forget Harrison is only in 10th grade.

Who is Kretzer? He must be a heck of a player if he is going to get the Tigers 5 more wins????????

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

THE TWO WAVERLY UPPERCLASSMEN GUARDS ARE NOT SCORERS BUT THEY ARE QUICK AND THERE WON'T BE A LOT OF TURNOVERS. LAST YEAR GUARD PLAY WAS PATHETIC. THE EXCHANGE STUDENT WAS THE PIECE OF THE PUZZLE THAT WAS MISSING. THE EXCHANGE STUDENT IS STAYING WITH THE TALENTED AND GIFTED TEACHER AND HER HUSBAND IS THE EIGHTH GRADE BB COACH. HE MIGHT THINK HE'S AN ASSISTANT!

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Kretzer played AAU basketball with Devin Kelly and they quickly became best of friends. He can really play and will help the Tigers and will give the freshman class a boost.

As far as the 8th grade coach goes-he does help with the varsity and JV and works hard at it - I think the exchange student is in a good home and will learn a lot.

What people need to remember is that the SOC is going to be loaded this year. Might be as strong as the league has ever been. If the guard play was bad last year it wasn't from lack of effort on the players part or the coaching- and I am sure the effort will be there this year too. Can't wait till hoops!

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Who is in the playing rotation for the Tigers in 2008?

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

Ryan Robertson
Harrison Martin
Derek Roback
Jake Kretzer
Victor Lundin (haven't seen him play, but have heard)
Rheadon Remy
Isaac Blanford
Phillip Tackett

Return to “Boys Basketball”