Southeast District Tier Rankings

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Southeast District Tier Rankings

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Thought this might be an interesting way to rank teams without over-analyzing every little thing. Obviously, team win/loss record is only one factor in deciding what tier a team is placed. More importantly, who have you played and who have you beaten. Of course I have overlooked a few teams who probably could make cases to move up or down a tier. Also, the teams are not in any order!

Tier 1
1. Chillicothe (D2)
2. Portsmouth (D3)
3. Logan Elm (D2)
4. Ironton (D3)
5. Chesapeake (D3)
6. Warren (D2)

Tier 2
1. Huntington (D3
2. Waverly (D2)
3. Piketon (D3)
4. Peebles (D3)
5. Unioto (D2)
6. Lucasville Valley (D3)
7. Hillsboro (D2)
8. Oak Hill (D3)
9. Fairfield Union (D2)
10. Fairland (D3)
11. Vinton County (D2)
12. Marietta (D2)

Tier 3
1. Eastern Brown (D3)
2. Manchester (D4)
3. Lynchburg Clay (D3)
4. North Adams (D3)
5. Circleville (D2)
6. Washington CH (D2)
7. Whiteoak (D4)
8. Fairfield (D4)
9. Wellston (D3)
10. Jackson (D2)
11. Belpre (D3)
12. South Webster (D4)
13. Racine Southern (D4)
14. Athens (D2)
15. Sheridan (D2)
16. Minford (D3)
17. Nelsonville York (D3)
18. Logan (D1)
19. Wheelersburg (D3)
20. South Gallia (D4)

Tier 4
1. Southeastern Ross (D3)
2. New Lexington (D2)
3. Portsmouth Notre Dame (D4)
4. Eastern Pike (D4)
5. Zane Trace (D3)
6. Greenfield McClain (D2)
7. Miami Trace (D2)
8. Federal Hocking (D3)
9. Symmes Valley (D4)
10. New Boston (D4)
11. Gallia Academy (D2)
12. Westfall (D3)
13. Coal Grove (D3)
14. Paint Valley (D3)
15. South Point (D3)
16. Rock Hill (D3)
17. Reedsville Eastern (D4)

Tier 5

1. Ironton St. Joes (D4)
2. Portsmouth Clay (D4)
3. Western Pike (D4)
4. Portsmouth East (D4)
5. West Union (D3)
6. Adena (D3)
7. Waterford (D4)
8. Miller (D4)
9. Meigs (D3)
10. Trimble (D4)
11. River Valley (D3)
12. Alexander (D3)
13. Northwest (D3)
14. Portsmouth West (D3)
15. Green (D4)
16. Crooksville (D3)
Last edited by jimmy chipwood on Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Re: Southeast District Tier Rankings

Post by EasternDspy »

Belpre waxed Marietta.Marietta is tier 3

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

What was the score?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Greenfield smoked Jackson....but has little on the resume and few wins....therefore a tier below.

Jackson is 2 tiers behind Chillicothe and they needed a 27 foot buzzer beater to get us....but they deserve to be two tiers up.

Wheelersburg might need to move down one.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

A win is a win though...and Chillicothe does play one of the toughest schedules in the SE..

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

But on the flip side Jackson is a improved team that can cause trouble down the stretch.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I agree with Jackson and Chillicothe's tier ranking.

EasternDspy
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by EasternDspy »

Why is a 4-5 Marietta team tier 2?

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Sorry Ironman92 I read ur comment wrong...

George Jones
Freshman Team

Post by George Jones »

Belpre beat Marietta by 8 and Southern beat Belpre by 14 but Marietta is tier 2 and Belpre and Southern are tier 3?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Has Marietta beat a couple good ones maybe.....

underthemound
Freshman Team

Post by underthemound »

Marietta wins- Fed Hock, @Dover, Cambridge, Athens and Meadowbrook.
Loses- Zanesville, @Coshocton, @Rosecrans, @Belpre and New Philadelphia.
Lost one game they shouldn't have and they have a couple good wins. This team will be a tough out come tournament time.
EDspy will just try to put Marietta down as much as possible, but it's okay he's just salty about losing to a "tier 5" team.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Wheelersburg at 1-7 is Tier 3 based on 2 or the "quality losses? However Portsmouth West (I'm assuming that's the team you are referring to) is Tier 5 even though they have a better record at 2-6 and more importantly beat Wheelersburg head-to-head. I just don't understand how anyone can rationalize such disparity between the two. While has lost overtime games to Valley and Waverly, their only win has been a tight contest against a very weak Franklin Furnace Green team and they've also been absolutely waxed by Portsmouth for one of their 7 losses. I know it's rare, but the Pirates just aren't a typical Wheelersburg team this year.
Last edited by Jesco White on Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson hasn't been good on the road but beat Burg pretty easily.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Wheelersburg has not won games this year but they have played an extremely tough schedule and competed pretty well with everybody on that schedule except Portsmouth (L31). Lost by 2 to Waverly and Valley. The reason I had them Tier 3 (and one of the last spots) is because they are very competitive because of their coach and the fact that they still play defense. If they were to play the majority of Tier 4/5 teams on the list there record would improve greatly. The Portsmouth West game is a poor loss for the burg and is the main reason they are hanging on to one of the last spots in Tier 3.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

jimmy chipwood wrote:Wheelersburg has not won games this year but they have played an extremely tough schedule and competed pretty well with everybody on that schedule except Portsmouth (L31). Lost by 2 to Waverly and Valley. The reason I had them Tier 3 (and one of the last spots) is because they are very competitive because of their coach and the fact that they still play defense. If they were to play the majority of Tier 4/5 teams on the list there record would improve greatly. The Portsmouth West game is a poor loss for the burg and is the main reason they are hanging on to one of the last spots in Tier 3.
Wait a moment....your original post says that the teams are not in any order, now with Wheelersburg's placement towards the bottom of Tier 3, their place in "order" is actually being listed as a validation? I'm confused. Plus by that last statement above, you've got West 14th out of 16 in Tier 5, which would make them 69th out of 71 in the SE. Really? I'm sorry, but I'm asking you to clarify, are they ranked in order or not?

I mainly bring up the Pirates because I've actually seen them play. Have you? I'm confident that their own fans would agree with me here. They can defend ANYONE, as is a trademark of a Tom Barrick team. However, they lack an overall ability to consistently score the basketball. I had personally expected that trend to not be as prefelant against the likes of Green and even West. While the Pirates had more offensive success against the Bobcats and Senators, failing to score 100 points in the 2 games combined is hardly burning up the score book. Given that fact, I'm not as sold as maybe I should be that their record would be tremendously better than West's against the same level of competition (since they play in the same league, level of competition isn't too far off). Given the FACT that we can't switch schedules and can only speculate on that grading point and the FACT that West beat the Pirates head-to-head, ranking the Pirates ahead of the Senators is just a huge head-scratcher to me...even more so when their are two tiers between them.

I'm far from being a West guy either. However, I really have to believe that you are ranking them based more on reputation alone which is something that drives me insane about the BCS in college football (hell, even the AP and Coaches Polls in both basketball and football). It seems like head-to-head match-ups are less and less important to people these days.

I know it seems like I'm badgering you about this and I apologize for that. I don't mean to come across too strongly. I know these are just your opinions and I promise I do respect them. I just enjoy the back and forth of it all.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

I apologize for my spelling errors above. My computer is not letting me edit them for some reason.

On a funnier note, after finishing with my rant on this topic, I read over the first boys AP Poll. I invite anyone and everyone to take a look at it, maintain a straight face, then come back here and tell me that my stance on the AP Polls as listed above is wrong. Having had a vote in the Ohio AP Poll at one time, I can tell you first hand how much of a joke it is to try and rank the top teams in every division throughout the state. It will NEVER be accurate from top to bottom, just as trying to rank an entire district from top to bottom can only be done by actually watching ALL of the teams play. Otherwise, it's just kind of a waste of time....unless you enjoy a LOT of conversation on the topic. I think that's why I enjoy pfloyd's Elite Eight so much. He takes the time to watch every team (when possible) play at some point in the season. He has a thick skin to defend his rankings. And, he just loves high school hoops and discussing it. He's always open to others' opinions.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

The tiers are not in order!!! I was merely saying that WBurg is one of the weaker teams in that tier right now. No, I have not seen either team play. Let me guess, you saw Burg when they played West? Right. I got news for you High School teams are not always consistent from one game to the next. I am sure that you werent at the Burg vs Valley/Waverly games were you? There is no doubt in anybodies mind that Burg has trouble scoring but if you seriously think West is better than Wburg right now I cant help you and you have blinders on. Ask somebody from Waverly or Valley who they would rather play between Portsmouth West and WBurg?

Lastly, I guarantee your response to this will be that P.West already beat Wburg. Dont even bother I know who won the game and I also know the scores of all the other games that both teams have played.

el savior
Freshman Team

Post by el savior »

Marietta should probably be tier 3. I've seen them play a few times and they would not beat a tier 2 team. (How they beat Dover I have no idea)

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

jimmy chipwood wrote:The tiers are not in order!!! I was merely saying that WBurg is one of the weaker teams in that tier right now. No, I have not seen either team play. Let me guess, you saw Burg when they played West? Right. I got news for you High School teams are not always consistent from one game to the next. I am sure that you werent at the Burg vs Valley/Waverly games were you? There is no doubt in anybodies mind that Burg has trouble scoring but if you seriously think West is better than Wburg right now I cant help you and you have blinders on. Ask somebody from Waverly or Valley who they would rather play between Portsmouth West and WBurg?

Lastly, I guarantee your response to this will be that P.West already beat Wburg. Dont even bother I know who won the game and I also know the scores of all the other games that both teams have played.
First, please relax if you are as upset with my comments as you seem. I already told you that I come in peace and this is all in good fun. I enjoy the conversation. I respect your opinions and none of this is personal.

Now, I can answer all of your questions, and you couldn't be more wrong about me. I saw Wheelersburg the first time against Waverly while I was scouting for Valley. So, no, I didn't see them play West; yes, I did see them play Waverly; and I don't need to speak to anyone from Valley because I am someone from Valley. Who would I rather play, definitely West. You are 100% correct when assuming that. See, I'm not a bad guy with blinders on at all. I believe the reason Burg has more success against the upper-tier teams is due to the defense they play and the way they are coached. I don't say that as a knock against coach Bradford at West, rather as a compliment to coach Barrick. Unfortunately, Burg's lack of offensive productivity, in my opinion, fails to separate them from the lower tier teams. And, that, is my main point...that the Pirates aren't worthy of being placed in the top half of teams in the SE this year.

Again, I'm sorry if I offended you. That was never my intention. As a coach, I try to be very objective. In fact, while scouting other teams, it's my responsibility to be objective. I assure you I respect your opinion and I hope you respect mine as well. I understand where you are coming from with your judgement of the two teams. I hope by giving you a little bit of my background, I've given you enough of a reason to see where I'm coming from too. It's ok for us to disagree. Sound ok?

Return to “Boys Basketball”