Division 3 Sectional at Jackson

Jesco White
S

Division 3 Sectional at Jackson

Post by Jesco White »

The Division 3 Sectional at Jackson is loaded this year, to say the least. Here are the unofficial records of all 11 teams that will be in that Sectional tournament. Please post corrections to any errors I make in records.

Chesapeake 7-1
Coal Grove 8-2
Ironton 9-1
Minford 6-3
Oak Hill 7-2
Portsmouth 8-2
Rock Hill 4-6
South Point 5-4
Valley 7-2
West 2-6
Wheelersburg 1-7

Based on those records, 8 out of the 11 teams currently have winning records. There are 4 OVC teams, 5 SOC 2 teams, 1 SEOAL team and 1 Independent. It will be interesting to see what role, if any, conference affiliation plays in the seedings.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Re: Division 3 Sectional at Jackson

Post by danicalifornia »

The 5,6,7 seeds are gonna have fun attempts to get out. Its absurd how strong this sectional is, especially in comparison to the Athens sectional.

minford17
Varsity

Post by minford17 »

As good as this sectional is, they ought to move it to the Convo

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

Every year teams go home from this sectional that belong in Athens playing... danicalifornia makes a great point other D3 sectionals are so weak in comparison its not even close.. In return you get those weak teams out of a weak sectional and return becomes snooze fest blow outs during the first round of the games at the convo.. They should really look at how these sectionals are broken down.. No where near even !!

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Right now IMO

1. Peake
2. Ironton
3. Portsmouth
4. Valley
5. Oak Hill

I don't think any of the top 4 can be beaten by other teams in this sectional....and outside of Fairland in Athens....not sure any other D3 team would be above a #5 seed at Jackson

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

#3 Portsmouth would beat #3 at Athens by 40.

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

Ironman92 wrote:Right now IMO

1. Peake
2. Ironton
3. Portsmouth
4. Valley
5. Oak Hill

I don't think any of the top 4 can be beaten by other teams in this sectional....and outside of Fairland in Athens....not sure any other D3 team would be above a #5 seed at Jackson
Couldn't agree more Ironman92, I do however think the 5 seed comes down to Oak Hill, Minford, or Coal Grove.. If I am any of those teams I would want to face Valley before the other top 3 teams with a chance to make it to the Convo.. I know Burg is struggling now but who would want to face a Barrick coached team come tourny time. If things play out it could be the 1 seed in this district that faces them..The breakdown of the sectionals right now in D3 is a joke..

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'll bet a zillion dollars as of right now if Norm wants it....they'll be the 5.

OH IO 07
Freshman Team

Post by OH IO 07 »

Ironman92 wrote:Right now IMO

1. Peake
2. Ironton
3. Portsmouth
4. Valley
5. Oak Hill

Fairland is D2 now.

bballin
JV Team

Post by bballin »

Ironman92 wrote:I'll bet a zillion dollars as of right now if Norm wants it....they'll be the 5.
LOL... This is true despite Oak Hills record come tourny time..

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Ironman92 wrote:I'll bet a zillion dollars as of right now if Norm wants it....they'll be the 5.
I agree completely. He was the exact person I was thinking of when I mentioned the possible role conference affiliation will play in the seedings, because Oak Hill is the wild card with being in the SOC and Norm having spent a couple of decades in the OVC.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

After I started this thread last night, I broke down each sectional and laid out a mock District bracket based on how I see the teams at this point. I've got all three District Champions coming out of the Jackson sectional with Chesapeake beating Huntington in one District Final, Portsmouth beating Peebles in another District Final and an Ironton-Valley rematch in the other District Final (edge going to Ironton, but obviously my heart wants to pick Valley lol). In fact, I think that only the Ironton-Valley match-up would be within 10 points of those three mock-Championship games.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I don't think any of those would be within 10

With 3 teams advancing out of the district and the 3 best teams in the same sectional....

Very good teams that are district worthy will be left out and teams that would lose to those teams by 10-15 points will be in the Convo.

Oh well, the best will eventually advance anyways, but it's ignorant to not be fair for every team when being fair would be an easy do.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

I think the SE district needs to do what every other district does, make it a super sectional.

Yes, we're spread out, but that's why you find central places to still hold the sectionals. It wouldn't be that hard and Waverly/Jackson/Athens could still hold them in D3, just some teams might have to travel a little further.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think all 70 coaches would agree they'd rather be treated fairly and maybe travel a little extra (maybe less) than play a little closer and teams that advance to the districts are largely due to where they are located.

Right now EVERY team in Athens should be ecstatic at their chances compared to what they would be if it was "even".....teams at Waverly will have pretty fair district berths....but none IMO would get out of Jackson.

If you seeded all SE District D3 teams #1-#32?....where would the first Athens sectional team fall?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

1. Peake
2. Ironton
3. Portsmouth
4. Valley
5. Huntington
6. Peebles
7. Oak Hill
8. Piketon
9. Minford
10. Coal Grove
11.Zane Trace?

Not higher than 9th IMO

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

There are some average to good teams in that sectional, but 9th would be the highest I'd have any of them. I highly doubt 4 of them would get out if it was a super sectional and it would be a heck of a lot more fair overall.

Jesco White
S

Post by Jesco White »

Nelsonville-York would be my highest seeded Athens Sectional team and I'd have them somewheere in the 8-10 spots. I'm not sold on Oak Hill, Coal Grove or Zane Trace as being better than them.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I'm not convinced either.....but they could very well be seeded there pretty fairly.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

At least D3 in Southeast gets 3 now...up until couple of years ago only 2. It was tougher for everyone then. Regionals were 2 from Southeast, 1 from Eastern, and 1 from Central. Now 3 from Southeast and 1 from East. Think reason get 3 now is because there's so many D3 teams in Southeast. Sure glad Central District not involved anymore as most times the school was one of the private schools from Columbus.

Return to “Boys Basketball”