Freshman Team

St. Joe vs Coal Grove on Dec. 12

Post by lakers12345 »

Any thoughts about this game?

PLEASANTFLYER
JV Team

Re: St. Joe vs Coal Grove on Dec. 12

Post by PLEASANTFLYER »

Well I hope The Joe comes out focused and are willing to take whatever cg gives them. We are gonna be outsized again-I'll probably be saying this for most games.The shots are bound to start falling.We're 2-0 and building confidence and I feel like they can play with anyone on their schedule. Let's go Flyers !

GO FLYERS!!!
Last edited by PLEASANTFLYER on Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

BubbleGumTiger
SEOPS Hippo

Post by BubbleGumTiger »

good luck to the Purple and Gold..........3 and 0 would be a great start........

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

I would think that this will be a much more challenging game than the Rock Hill game. however, you never know. If St Joe hits theri shots, they will be in most games and have a shot to win those games.

Good Luck Flyers.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

score?

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Coal Grove won by about 10 or so but I don't remember the exact score.

I do have one question to ask though. Is it common for a team to send its players into the other team's huddle during a timeout or a deadball or is this something just done by Coal Grove? I personally thought it was uncalled for and bordered on unsportsmanlike but when I saw CG do it during the JV game and then during the Varsity game I wondered if it was a common practice.

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

i am not surprised^^^

where was game played

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

at St. Joe at the current Ironton High School.

irishdomer
Waterboy

Post by irishdomer »

Those were not official timeouts taken by the St. Joe Coach they were deadball moments or when a player fouled out for St. Joe, so it is perfectly legal. The official even told St. Joe's coach to get his kids back on the floor. I think that it was a smart ploy by the Coal Grove staff. By the way The Grove's defensive intensity was unbelievable last night as St. Joe had all kinds of problems figure out the 1-3-1 Zone. Harvey is an outstanding talent for the Flyers, but I for see many teams letting him getting his 20-25 points a game and taking their chances with the rest of the lot. Good Luck Flyers I have the utmost respect for your school and kids.....but Lets GO GROVE.

BlindWhiteHat
SEOP

Post by BlindWhiteHat »

Irishdomer, your answer pretty much tells me that it is coached for the Coal Grove players to do that since you said it was a "smart ploy by the Coal Grove staff". I'm sure it is legal or the officials would have stopped it. Plus, I realized it wasn't a time out because the St. Joe players were on the floor when it happened. I have never seen any other team do that so I wondered if that's a common practice or not. My personal opinion is that while legal, it borders on unsportsmanlike behavior probably because my approach is more old school.

I agree that the CG defense made things tough on St. Joe all night long. They never did seem to get many good shots at the basket. I thought that Wayne Sparks played very well. He's a great kid and a super athlete.

Joe Strummer
Freshman Team

Post by Joe Strummer »

BWH; don't know if the pun was intended, but "common" is an apt term for this practice.

allsport12
Waterboy

Post by allsport12 »

In referring to the untaken timeout, if a player fouls out, you have 30 seconds to get a sub in. Most coaches use this as a timeout. For both sides. As fot the CG staff "coaching" their players to interupt the huddle, in my opinion that is "Bush League". It is legal for teams to hold their hands up and shout at players shooting free throws, but it is not very ethical or accepted. Just my opinion.

FSUfly#13
Varsity

Post by FSUfly#13 »

I read the article already on Ironton Tribune, and I know what the problem is. In order for Saint Joe to win then Basedow and Gagai are going to have to put up some points. It's not a good sign if all you see is 0 0 0-0 0 beside their names. They didn't even get to the line. Those 2 seniors are key players for the Flyers, and are capable of scoring. McCown can score, but in my opinion he is needed more as a defensive player. He can frustrate offensive players in a half-court set. Young and Riley are getting some good experience, and it is going to take a while for them to settle in. Harvey, Blackburn, and Blair seem to be putting up the usual numbers, but they really need Gagai and Basedow to get in double digits. I know Coach Sheridan will get things going, and the Flyers will get rid of those butterflies. Once they gain more chemistry on the court they will be hard to stop. Good luck Flyers!

J-Bird
Freshman Team

Post by J-Bird »

I don't see anything wrong with sending a player over to get in the huddle and listen to a play. If it isn't a sanctioned time out and the ref is trying to get the huddled team back on the floor. Send a player over to listen to what is going on. It is perfectly legal. If you find a loop hole in the system to gain an advantage, might as well take it. If no one likes it then I say make it a rule. Some may call it bush league, but I say it was a smart play on coal groves coach. He didn't do anything illegal, just playing by the rules.

irishdomer
Waterboy

Post by irishdomer »

J-Bird that is exactly how I felt about the situation if I was the coach of St. Joe I would've listened to the official and got my kids on the floor and he wouldn't have had to worry about the ingenious tactic used by the Coal Grove coaches. I think this should just be a learning lesson for the Flyers and move on.

tabasco
Riding the Bench

Post by tabasco »

Wait until that happens to Coal Grove. They will be up in arms. That little coach will be jumping up and down on the floor. Maybe SJ should try it out when they play at CG. My guess is their alumni ref's will be working that game and not allow it.

irishdomer
Waterboy

Post by irishdomer »

tabasco wrote:Wait until that happens to Coal Grove. They will be up in arms. That little coach will be jumping up and down on the floor. Maybe SJ should try it out when they play at CG. My guess is their alumni ref's will be working that game and not allow it.

Go ahead and try it I don't think that it matters and as for "Alumni Ref's," since the arrival of Ward as the head coach I am unaware of any "Alumni" calling any games at Coal Grove. To me this all smells of sour grapes. This topic is over as far as I am concerened, move on and get ready for your next opponent.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

May be legal but it doesn't make it right. Very unsportmanlike and shows no class!

bucksfan76
JV Team

Post by bucksfan76 »

tabasco wrote:Wait until that happens to Coal Grove. They will be up in arms. That little coach will be jumping up and down on the floor. Maybe SJ should try it out when they play at CG. My guess is their alumni ref's will be working that game and not allow it.

i think CG had some alumni refs working some football games this year as well at least the one that i attended

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

might not b alumni refs but probly some of wards pals from across the river... lol.
goinig into another teams huddle in that situation might not be against the rules but as ohters have said it is bush league. increases cahnces of an altercation also

Return to “Boys Basketball”