Athens @ Gallia Academy 12-13

Maximus the Merciful
Waterboy

Re: Athens @ Gallia Academy 12-13

Post by Maximus the Merciful »

Jump Stop:

You are soo wrong. Coaches that lose many games in any given season are under the microscope. Their every move is analyzed and scrutinized. The more they lose the more they are criticized. Their methods and every act is evaluated in detail by the so called beer can coaches and disgruntled parents up in the stands. This coach becomes defensive. By the end of a losing season his armor has been severely dented. Most times this losing coach is quick to criticize and blame others for his "woe is me" misfortunes unless he is God like.

When a coach wins, he's euphoric. He feels invinceable. He's more daring and confident. He feels he can take on the world. His mistakes will most likely be overlooked. He get's out in that coaching fast lane and makes mistakes. Mistakes made while losing are now acceptable while he is winning. He's more energetic. He's sharper mentally. The same mistakes he made while losing will be ignored as long as the winning continues. But when and if the winning subsides, watch out, it's deja vu all over again.

Therefore he is not the same.

Basketball is a very simple game. It's not brain surgery or rocket science. Play good defense. Rebound. Beat the other team down the court on offense and if not, set up for a good shot with court balance. Don't let the other team beat you down the court. Enjoy the game. It was meant to be enjoyed. Don't make it misery for the kids. Be aggressive and not passive. Be quick and be strong. Treat your kids like gold. Treat them fairly as best you can. Don't punish the ones that have worked hard to hone their skills and don't punish those that by some way have developed more talent than others. Not real complicated.

Good luck to all coaches in Southeastern Ohio. Enjoy while you can. Not all are as lucky and skilled as the Persins, Osbornes, VanMeters, Caldwells, etc., etc. To steal a line from Koondogger: "Just my thoughts fellas"

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Outstanding post.

Jumpstop
Waterboy

Post by Jumpstop »

totallyagree with your thoughts. I dont think coach mcneal was at all defensive last year when he was getting his hat handed to him from zanesville, chilli,...etc. I know he is close to 300 wins, so i think he at least knows a little about the game. Anyway i shouldnt have said anything. good luck to all.

Return to “Boys Basketball”