Portsmouth West @ Waverly 12/16

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Portsmouth West @ Waverly 12/16

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

This one could get ugly, but I hope not.

Go Siders!

Thoughts?

TAR HEEL FAN44
SE

Re: Portsmouth West @ Waverly 12/16

Post by TAR HEEL FAN44 »

How is West doing so far?

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

I don't think this one gets ugly- because Waverly is so young- they are still learning- look for all of thier league games to be fairly close.

I like Waverly t o win but it should be a 8-10 point game.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Bucki4life sounds like Waverly is going to have a disatrous last half of the season. You're predicting a win Tuesday that will make the young Tigers 3-0, so with your prediction of a 10-10 season they'll go 7-13 to finish the season. Maybe you know something about Victor being deported.

sidersports
Waterboy

Post by sidersports »

if this is a running game i think we will be fine, got to do abetter job on defense to many lay ups given up versus wheelersburg, also we need to start making shots and free throws so we can pull teams out of there zone and use our speed

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

If West doesnt play better defense, it will get ugly. I know offense comes and goes but defense MUST be a constant.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

alabama mike wrote:If West doesnt play better defense, it will get ugly. I know offense comes and goes but defense MUST be a constant.

Very True. DEFENSE wins championships! West has struggled out of the gates and played lacking defense in all three games. They were able to come back and beat Notre Dame and New Boston but Coach Barrick and the Burg was not going to let that happen. Hope the boys can pick up on the defensive side of the ball and get shots to start falling.

outsider79
Waterboy

Post by outsider79 »

Soccerfix, i don't know about bucki4life's prediction of 10-10 but i will tell you this- Waverly beat a decent team (Minford) and a horrible team (Rock Hill)- I doubt Waverly beats Minford on the road and they don't get the chance to beat Rock Hill again so I don't know if 10-10 is such a bad prediction. They get drilled Friday against Oak Hill then loose to Burg twice, Valley twice, Northwest once, Minford once, Vinton County once, Huntinton once, Chillicothe once, Oak Hill again- guess what that is 11 losses and thats saying they sweep Ports. West and that may not happen.

I could very well be wrong on the above losses- but it is not out of the question. Anything above .500 would have to be considered a very good year!

You may be counting your eggs before they hatch!

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Outsider, you obviously havent seen Waverly Play. They will not get drilled by Oak Hill. It will be very competitive and if VIctor can stay on the floor Waverly will have a shot at least at home. The minford game wasn't really even close. I cant see Minford beating them even at Minford. We aint losing to anybody twice other than maybe Oak Hill. The only other team on our schedule we will struggle to beat will be Chillicothe. In the rest of the games we will be the favorite or at least competitive. We are a lot better than people assume.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

I hope you guys are correct and we win more than 10 or 11 games I think that would be great! However, the last thing we should be doing is getting on here and posting things like 15-5 -- they have won two games---

Kids like to read things about their teams and I think you are better off to forcast the season in a conservative way instead of what you are hoping for!

Does Waverly have the ability to win a lot of games?-YES- But it remains to be seen if they are going to be as good as we all want them to be!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Come on guys, we have won two games. Minford is a decent ball club but there are many teams on our schedule who are MUCH better. Let's not be like fans at other schools and start getting all cocky. We have proven nothing yet.
Outsider79 makes valid points and it is hard to get a clear picture of allot of teams at this point of the season. This week will answer some questions with some key games coming up.

Something we need to remember about the Minford game: Aaron Oesch picked up fouls 3 & 4 (technical) in the 3rd and had to sit for an extended period of time and Caleb Cowgill came out with an injury. We outscored the Falcons 27-8 that period to go ahead 52-36 after 3. Minford did cut that lead to 8 before starting to foul.

Those are some bold statements Tiger4life. You really think we are the favorites against Piketon (should that match-up take place) & Vinton County?

I agree with Tiger4life on one thing, Waverly's success depends on Victor staying in the game.

I'm sure the coaching staff is not allowing our young Tigers to get all cocky and think they are the best thing since sliced bread. Keep working hard to get better and take no one lightly.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Vinton County is down and Piketon has not been impressive at all. As I said we will be competitive with them and have a great shot at winning. I am sorry to be so positive.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Nothing wrong with being positive. I think everyone has liked what they see in the Tigers so far but you can't conclude anything by it. 10-10 is very possible as is 15-5. At this point you could say that 20-0 is possible because we haven't lost yet.

As I said, this week should answer some questions about the league. West and Oak Hill come to the jungle. Valley travels to Burg and hosts West. Northwest is at Oak Hill and Minford. Burg hosts South Webster and Minford travels to South Webster. Some key match-ups.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

tiger4life wrote:Vinton County is down and Piketon has not been impressive at all. As I said we will be competitive with them and have a great shot at winning. I am sorry to be so positive.

Tiger4 life,

You seem very confident that Waverly will be in the finals.....are you giving them an automatic "W" against Eastern-Pike?

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

soccerfix wrote:Bucki4life sounds like Waverly is going to have a disatrous last half of the season. You're predicting a win Tuesday that will make the young Tigers 3-0, so with your prediction of a 10-10 season they'll go 7-13 to finish the season. Maybe you know something about Victor being deported.

Soccerfix, the math is '7-10 to finish the season.'

As to the game, this one can go either way but I expect that the odds favor a Waverly win.

Ukfanatic
Varsity

Post by Ukfanatic »

Eaglesnest, I did not mean any disrespect to Eastern. I was just answering tiger huddle's question if he thought we would be favored against Piketon.

DaRecGuy
Freshman Team

Post by DaRecGuy »

West might not beat anyone again this year if they don't start getting BACK on defense. Burg was beating them down the court Friday with TWO guys, not just one!!!

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Let's keep expectations realistic. This team is young and not real deep. Take one game at a time and hope come the 4th quarter we're still in the game. The league is good this year and our non-league schedule is tough. Waverly vs Eastern game is a toss-up.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Drrabitt: Sorry math was never my best subject. I hope Waverly never loses 13 games again!!!!!!!!

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Looks like the winter weather might be the winner on Tuesday.

Return to “Boys Basketball”