Fairland vs Fed Hock

athens78
All State

Re: Fairland vs Fed Hock

Post by athens78 »

That's why I say he'll look for something closer at some point. According to what Federal People say about the jv team it may be longer then a couple years.

BBSHOOTER
Waterboy

Post by BBSHOOTER »

IT'S (IMO), NOT A GOOD THING TO COACH YOUR KID, IT'S USUALLY NOT FAIR TO THAT KID, AND HIDDEN AGENDA'S USUALLY ARE THE REASON. NOT TRYING TO BUILD A PROGRAM AT ALL THE COACH LEAVES WHEN THE KID LEAVES. THERE ARE EXCEPTIONS TO THE RULE BUT NOT MANY. BUT IT SEEMS TO BE ALL OVER THE PLACE IN SOUTHERN OHIO. THEY (OHSAA), SHOULD MAKE IT A RULE NO ADMINISTRATION COACHING AND NO PARENTS, CONFLICT OF INTEREST. THIS ISN'T DIRECTED AT THE LANCERS, JUST LOOK AROUND, IT'S EVERYWHERE! WHAT DO YOU THINK?

allsport12
Waterboy

Post by allsport12 »

Alot of schools around dont allow administrators to coach. As for parents, thats not a valid point IMO. What happens if a coach is at a school for 10 years and boom, his son is a freshman in that program. Does he then I have to move schools or take 4 years off? That rule is not a good one.

BBSHOOTER
Waterboy

Post by BBSHOOTER »

THAT COULD BE AN EXCEPTION TO THE RULE IF THE COACH WAS ALREADY IN PLACE, THIS COULD BE EASILY DONE. I KNOW OF TWO SCHOOLS THAT HAVE THE ADMIN. RULE BUT IT'S NOT ENFORCED, MAKE IT OHSAA RULE, SO THEY HAVE TO ABIDE BY IT.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I just have to go back to the Federal Hocking situation. Parents need to stop blaming past parent coaches. They should have had their kids away from the Xbox and out working on their game if they wanted more playing time last year or the year before. Remember some of these kids concentrate on football and baseball and work most of the year on that other work on basketball. Since 2003 Federal has had some talented players. Quinn, Hornsby, Butcher, Chadwell, Garrett, Tate and on and on. Before that Pettit had great players also and won the league and Butcher and Vales just kept it going. My understanding is that Federal don't pay any of their junior high coaches starting this year, so it's hard to build a program and your only going to get parents coach in that situation. The bottom line is that the talent level is down. This group isn't as talented as years past and that includes from freshman up. It happens.

Catch One
Freshman Team

Post by Catch One »

athens78 wrote:I just have to go back to the Federal Hocking situation. Parents need to stop blaming past parent coaches. They should have had their kids away from the Xbox and out working on their game if they wanted more playing time last year or the year before. Remember some of these kids concentrate on football and baseball and work most of the year on that other work on basketball. Since 2003 Federal has had some talented players. Quinn, Hornsby, Butcher, Chadwell, Garrett, Tate and on and on. Before that Pettit had great players also and won the league and Butcher and Vales just kept it going. My understanding is that Federal don't pay any of their junior high coaches starting this year, so it's hard to build a program and your only going to get parents coach in that situation. The bottom line is that the talent level is down. This group isn't as talented as years past and that includes from freshman up. It happens.

Your Wrong
The Talent is Still There!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Sorry to disappoint you but the talent isn't there. Thompson, Stanley Torrence and Clark are no way as talented as Quinn, Garrett, Hornsby, Tate, Chadwell, Butcher and Tolson, Whiting and the rest and they don't seem 1/4 as dedicated. They do seem pretty good at baseball and football though. I'm beating a dead horse here because you can't convince parents that their kid isn't as good as past players or teams.
How many years has it been that the Lancers lost two game in a row and four of the first five? How long has it
been since Nelsonville beat the Lancers and how long since they beat them at Federal. You'd have to go back several years. Also Waterford. How long has it been since they beat the Lancers?

I do think Coach E is a good young coach and that he will do a great job but not at Federal Hocking. Who else will they beat this year? Miller twice maybe. It will be hard for them to win at Miller. If they win 5 games this year it will be a good year for them.

Catch One
Freshman Team

Post by Catch One »

(MIDRG) Maybe so But lets try and keep it possitive.
These KIDS have been getting dogged all year.
Lets try and give them some credit, maybe that 1/4 can get up 3/4 and maybe all the way. Lets stop driving them down.
Play hard Lancers, And you do have Talent.
Go Lancers

JayKay
Riding the Bench

Post by JayKay »

The starters were not giving 100%. I have no idea why. But Coach E needs to figure out why he isn't getting that 100%. I do commend him for benching players if they weren't playing with everything they had. I hope that sent the message that he will sit their butts down for lack of effort. I heard one player missed a game bus and sat half a game (different game). Maybe Coach E has a commitment issue with a couple of his players? At any rate, he's showing the entire world that either a players gives him 100% or he sits. Nothing wrong with that.

I also agree with Taz that this Federal team is better than their record. They may not have a deep pool of talent, but they do have players with real ability. Their overall record this year is going to be lackluster, by Fed standards. But it can be a positive year if the players use it to feed their determination. Real life lessons usually come disguised as defeats. True character is when a player gives 100% in the face of great odds. I'm looking forward to seeing these young men give it 100% (as a group) regardless of the score or record.

Keep at it Coach. You will get there eventually.

Foxworthy
Freshman Team

Post by Foxworthy »

Christmas Sabbatical. GW............Midrangegame stated the point.................if the coach is in place for several years, his kid comes rolling through.........plays, graduates..........coach stays on for several more years.........no problem. Kid starts 7th grade, parent shows up, leaves the year kid leaves or so.....not a good idea. IMO............

No negative toward past FH coaches, great people and community members, just not good for all the kids as a whole!!

Now as Catch One said, be positive. I believe in these kids in their coach. Athens 78, if I was a little younger I'd throw rotten tomatoes at you..........maybe you will motiviate the team..........why can't you find a positive???

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I think the positive is Coach E. Hopefully for Federal he will get them to work in the off season.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

FW- I'm curious..

Since you also are obviously a "great person and community member", what type of activity do you use to donate YOUR time.

Are you- a cub scout, boy scout or brownie leader, PTO officer, Sunday school teacher, 4H advisor, Athletic or Academic Booster, class advisor, or cheerleading advisor?

I'm not trying to determine your identity, just trying to figure out what you give back to the community and how many years you did this before your son participated and how long you intend to continue after your son moves on.

Before you reply that coaching basketball is different, allow me to agree with you. Coaching is different because HS coaches spend 20-30 hours per week doing their volunteer jobs.... And the salary paid to FH coaches is pretty much the same as volunteering.

If you are so dissatisfied, maybe you should write a letter to the administration or consider city rec ball in Athens.

As you know, I have never said anything negative about these kids- ask Catch One. I'm just tired of all the bashing of Coach Butcher and Coach Vales.

Coach E is my friend and he works very hard- but he does not work any harder than Joe Butcher or Bob Vales did.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Well said GW. How long will he donate his time and how long will he continue once his kid or relative is gone. Good post.

Foxworthy
Freshman Team

Post by Foxworthy »

WHOAAAAA.........GW. Obviously I hit a nerve that was not intended to be negative. While no, I will not reveal my identity I'll answer some of your questions.

My day job is a professional and I've been a Lancer basketball fan from way back when???? Names like Danny Hall,Jr., Chuck Robinson, Dan Bise, Joe Butcher...............saw these guys play in HS. Before that I remember listening with intent to the regional finals between Ames-Bern and Ross Southeastern (I think my memory serves me right on this one) on the radio with 3 names I remember, Ball, Jago, McPherson..........I was pretty young then but know that was one of the best teams to roll out of A town. Have attended many a game in the late '70's , '80's and '90's clear up to the present time. Was an avid fan of the 1990-1991 superstars that lit up DC McInturf Gymnasium..............and followed with great enthusiasm the girls program that same year that was led I believe by Kim Chadwell around that time. Cheered on the likes of Whitting, Tolson and Cottrill under Coach Pettit and supported avidly the 2000 teams and enjoyed every minute of it including the fine leadership from Coach Butcher and Coach Vales.

Community volunteer........been involved in a myriad of activities over the years with kids and families.

Through this experience and observation, and being a parent.........it is IMO, and this is IMO, doesn't mean I'm absolutely right and everybody else is wrong, I strongly believe that parent ran programs on the HS level is not a good idea for many reasons that I'll not go into on this forum. To try and list coaches that have coached kids is fine but Gabriel at Alex stayed long after his son graduated and he is building a strong program from biddy league up...........How can you lump in Howie Caldwell who has seen all ends of the spectrum from state tourney team to last in the league....now there is staying power and investment in that community!!!!

And yes, in the past 5 years I have spoke to someone in the FH administration twice, urging them to steer away from parent ran programs.

So you can do with this what you want. For me I'm going to back these Lancers in 2008/2009 100% and ALL their coaching staff. I do believe Coach Ellcessor, if given a chance, can make a difference in this program in the long haul if he will stay with us. It won't happen in a season or maybe even two............but I think it can happen. If you have good fundamental programs in place you can still be competitive even in those "off" years when your athlete pool may not be huge. Kids that have good fundamentals and decent athletic skills can still be competitive if brought up in the right program. Again, IMO, programs that are super competitive in the early biddy league years and ignore fundamentals will be programs that will go bust on the HS level. Those same programs have a tendency to "pull certain kids through" and ignore others who may bloom on the JR. High/ early HS level but get "pre-labeled" if parents are not open to including a large group of kids in the district in positive, instructional early experiences. Just look at Chesapeake and Logan Elm as a couple good examples.

Conversation closed. Go Lancers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”