Chillicothe 68 @ Portsmouth 42 Final

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Chillicothe (2-2) @ Portsmouth (5-0) 1/2/09

Post by trojandave »

Have seen the Cavaliers twice, and Portsmouth can expect CHS to pound the boards and play very hard D. For the Trojans to win, they must play well and nothing less than that..........hopefully PHS can avoid having a bad offensive quarter like the 2nd period vs. Wheelersburg(7 points).

This is a very big game in the SEOAL South standings, since Portsmouth is already 2-0 in South play.

GO TROJANS!!!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Portsmouth is looking to end a 9 game winning streak in the series between PHS and CHS, which Portsmouth leads 40-36. The Trojans' victory over Wheelersburg was its first since 2001 and only the second in the entire decade.......the Burg leads the series 17-13. Portsmouth ended a 13 game Ironton winning streak last February with a 69-51 win at Ironton. Although I don't have the exact figures on the IHS--PHS series, Portsmouth is ahead something like 81-55.

Hopefully our kids can come up with a very good game to end this drought against the Cavaliers.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

trojandave,

Big one down on the Scioto Friday night. Unfortunately, I am going to have to miss this one. Holiday Seasons always send me north bound for one weekend. I will be checking in via text and everything else.

As for the game, I expect this will come down to two things.

1) Does P-Town show up and play solid D. and rebound.

2) Can Chilly make a shot.

Real simple, there is plenty of talent on both sides of the ball. Portsmouth has the confidence and home court going in. However, the Cavs as you stated have won a few in a row in the series. However, through out the records and everything, it will be a good game. Mark it down, the Cavs will play good D. We have not given up much all year. The 3 ball has hurt us when guys get hot, but other then that, we are giving up 45 ppg. That includes the Jackson contest last night, but the first 3 games were in the 50's.

Offensively, based on what has been shown, the Trojans have an advantage. The Cavs do not want an 80 pt affair in this one. I would love to see us hold you guys in the 50/60 range. I think the boards can be even, but I like our ability to rebound from all 5 positions. Finally, which team can put together 4 solid qtrs. Since the North College Hill game the Cavs have not. We have been up and down.

Oddsmakers have to put the Trojans as a strong favorite and this old Cav would not disagree, but I look forward to my boys laying it all on the line and making this game come down to the 4th quarter. So far, we have lost 2 tough ones in the 4th. Lets see what Friday holds.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 D2 STATE CHAMPS!!!

WTIGER 80
Freshman Team

Post by WTIGER 80 »

what a great rivalry this one is. I remember being at the gam in Portsmouth in 1978 when Craig Tubbs hit a jumper from above the top of the key to win it for Portsmouth in the old gym. Wiener Williams was one of the officials and the other was Ron Borden. Portsmouth went on to win the state championship that year in St. John arena . I had a chance to see the semi and final that year. I didn`t go to Portsmouth but my dad took me to the games. We were up in the rafters. Portsmouth had a great tem that year with Craig Tubbs, jeff Lisath(Piketon`s Current head coach) and 2 others that all went on to play college Divison 1 BBall.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

WTIGER 80 wrote:what a great rivalry this one is. I remember being at the gam in Portsmouth in 1978 when Craig Tubbs hit a jumper from above the top of the key to win it for Portsmouth in the old gym. Wiener Williams was one of the officials and the other was Ron Borden. Portsmouth went on to win the state championship that year in St. John arena . I had a chance to see the semi and final that year. I didn`t go to Portsmouth but my dad took me to the games. We were up in the rafters. Portsmouth had a great tem that year with Craig Tubbs, jeff Lisath(Piketon`s Current head coach) and 2 others that all went on to play college Divison 1 BBall.

wtiger,

I remember that top of key shot by Tubbs as well. He had a good ole fashioned battle going with Chilly's Joe Glassco. What a game and what a rivalry at that time.

GO CAVS!!! 2008 DII STATE CHAMPS!!!

FaberGrad62
JV Team

Post by FaberGrad62 »

Wasn't it in 79 that they beat the Burg in double OT in the sectional finals at Valley? Man what a classic that was. I think I was just a pup but can remember that game as I was almost pushed through the glass doors before the game even started. My dad and I had gotten there early and was right up front, against the door. When they decided to open the doors, for some reason they only opened two and I got stuck up against the glass as people was pushing to get to the two open doors. Dad elbowed about 3-4 people and got me out and into the open door. The door was starting to bow in when they finally got everyone off of it.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

should be a great game.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Hitchbone64: Portsmouth does play better defense than last year........and is much better offensively than a season ago..........the addition of Tory Horne in the backcourt teaming with Andrew Bendolph has given PHS a solid guard tandem.........together they are averaging 30 PPG, with Anthony Williams leading Portsmouth with an 18.9 PPG avg. Jacob Stevens and Zack Link round out the starting 5, and they have given the Trojans solid, consistent play.......Stevens hit a big 3 pointer vs. Wheelersburg in the 4th quarter. With Nate Cadogen, Forrest Johnson, and Corey Allison coming off the bench, PHS has had some very good minutes from those 3 kids.

I wouldn't say the Trojans are a strong favorite.......but I like our chances if we play D, compete on the boards with the Cavaliers, and push the ball up the court. We have proven, though, that we can run an effective half court offense if need be.

I expect Chillicothe to at least do 2 things.........play very sound defense, and crash the boards. I know the shooting has been subpar, so hopefully our kids will not give CHS very many open looks. An open shot always improves a player's shooting pct.

See you somewhere along the basketball trail.............

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Trojandave...Have officials set a makeup date for the Portsmouth-Northwest postponement?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

4 mins to go in the 1st period, its 6 to nothing Chilly over Portsmouth

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Williams hits a 3 its 6 to 3 chilly leads.

Dawes hits a three its 9 to 3

Horn pass to Williams down low and he scores 9 to 5.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Heres a link if anyone wants to listen.

http://www.mainstreamnetwork.com/listen ... n=wnxt-fm&

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

End of 1 its Chilly 13 Ports 12

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Horn just got hot and hes made several baskets one from way down town for 3. The score is Portsmouth 17 chilly 15

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

chillicothe 25 portsmouth 23....halftime
that was a quick 1st half

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Both teams apllying alot of pressure on defense. Its half time and Chilly leads 25 to 23 Williams got into foul trouble and was out most of the second period.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Chilly starts the second half on fire and have scored 9 strait points its 34 to 23

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

chilli 34 - ports. 23........timeout ports.....maybe the cavs will finally have a decent 3rd qtr

nice buck pic ozzie......you get it ?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Its on the wall!!!

At my brothers house. :oops: :oops: :oops:

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Chilly up by 16 right now the Trojans are having all kinds of problems.

Chilly 46 Port 30

End of the 3rd period.

If the Trojans could get hot the can come back but its not looking good.

Return to “Boys Basketball”