Wheelersburg @ Federal Hocking 1/3/09

therepublican
Varsity

Wheelersburg @ Federal Hocking 1/3/09

Post by therepublican »

Any words on how this game should play out? FH beat Rock Hill and Burg beat Ironton....

alabama mike
SE

Re: Wheelersburg @ Federal Hocking 1/3/09

Post by alabama mike »

I am trying to find info on FH now. So far, nothing but a roster. I may check out the Ironton Tribune to see if they have an article from the game Tuesday night, the Athens Messenger has nothing.

If I had to bet, I'd put my money on the Pirates simply because they play defense for 32 minutes. Hopefully, the free throws will fall if/when we get to the line.
Last edited by alabama mike on Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tazman
Riding the Bench

Post by tazman »

Hopefully the boys can win their 3rd straight. They have been playing better lately fortunately and i think they're beginning to play smart which means a lot. Wheelersburg is one tough team though. I hope the boys can pull it off but they will have to play a solid 32 minutes of good quality basketball. Justin Stanley will have to play one extremely phenomenal game to handle the big sophomore from Burg. Good Luck Boys !

Burg by 8 sorry boys

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Because it's the TVC I'd like to see Federal win but with Wheelersburgs past history and trip lately to the State Tournament plus the win at Ironton Wheelersburg may win this one by 20 plus. Lancers work hard for 32 minutes, go Lancers.

Catch One
Freshman Team

Post by Catch One »

Wheelersburg is young like Fed Hocking, and the game is at home.
But they have Stegman, tuff inside and Criagmiles who can shoot the 3 ball.
Plus this team just beat Ironton one of the best teams in the state.
If the boys play good "D" and be smart on "O" this may not be like the Fairland game. Rock Hill stayed close to WB and Fed beat Rock Hill, But I think Fed will have to play alot better to stay close to Wheelersburg. Go out and play hard FED. Just play your game.
Go Lancers.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

Catch One wrote: Rock Hill stayed close to WB and Fed beat Rock Hill, But I think Fed will have to play alot better to stay close to Wheelersburg. [/color]

Has Rock Hill and Wheelersburg played ??

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

BigOrangeOne wrote:
Catch One wrote: Rock Hill stayed close to WB and Fed beat Rock Hill, But I think Fed will have to play alot better to stay close to Wheelersburg. [/color]

Has Rock Hill and Wheelersburg played ??

No, Wheelersburg and Rock Hill are not scheduled to play each other this season. In fact I don't recall them playing except maybe in tournament during the past 15 years. The only SOC team that Rock Hill has played so far this season was Waverly though they will eventually face Oak Hill and Minford. Waverly beat Rock Hill 61-33.

Fairland was a common opponent between Rock Hill and Federal Hocking though--maybe they are confusing that.

Rock Hill game schedule so far:

DEC. 9
ST. JOE
AWAY
6:00 PM - JV
7:30 PM - Varsity
L
60-57 OT Game

DEC. 12
SOUTH GALLIA
HOME

DEC. 13
WAVERLY
AWAY

DEC. 16
FAIRLAND
AWAY

DEC. 19
CHESAPEAKE
HOME

DEC. 23
GALLIA ACADEMY
HOME

DEC. 30
FEDERAL HOCKING
HOME

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

JayKay
Riding the Bench

Post by JayKay »

I think the outcome of this game depends on how both teams play. If burg plays to their full potential than I have to go with burg. FH could upset them if they play an outstanding game. But personally I think burg would have to be a little off theirs. Unfortunately I think burg will prove too tough to get around. But I sure hope the lancers prove me wrong. Best of luck to the coaching staff and players of FH.

Catch One
Freshman Team

Post by Catch One »

Catch One wrote:Wheelersburg is young like Fed Hocking, and the game is at home.
But they have Stegman, tuff inside and Criagmiles who can shoot the 3 ball.
Plus this team just beat Ironton one of the best teams in the state.
If the boys play good "D" and be smart on "O" this may not be like the Fairland game. Rock Hill stayed close to WB and Fed beat Rock Hill, But I think Fed will have to play alot better to stay close to Wheelersburg. Go out and play hard FED. Just play your game.
Go Lancers.

Sorry I was wrong, it was Ironton and Fairland I was thinking of.
But Rock Hill did beat Fairland.
Ironton vs Wheelersburg went into overtime.
Just maybe!!!!!!!!!
Anyway good luck Lancers.
Play your game.....................

fedhocker
Riding the Bench

Post by fedhocker »

This should be a battle. Hopefully Coach E has the boys playing hard nose. Wheelersburg is a powerhouse and has been for years. Good luck Lancers!

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

I believe this will be the first ever regular season meeting between the two. I know of one time that they met in the sectional at Athens HS in 2001. Burg beat them as Andrew Burleson dropped in 39 points to lead the Pirates to the victory. Not sure if they have played any other time.

Burg will be Burg. This years team is nothing flashy. They won't put up a lot of points and they will play some of the best defense around. They don't have any real superstars, yet. They play very well together as a team.

Good luck Pirates. 1-1 so far on that tough 7 game stretch, with the first 5 of the 7 on the road.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Burg by 15.

Foxworthy
Freshman Team

Post by Foxworthy »

Best of luck to the Lancers. This is going to be a tough game but I believe the Lancers can shine. Part of the battle is telling yourself you can do it...........you can play with the 'burg.........the target is on their back and don't let them forget it.

Don't mean to stir the pot here Catch One but I hope the Lancers play the "Lancer and Coach E game," that is what you are referring to correct? "Play your game" means a team game with TOUGH defense, AGGRESSIVE offense, and carrying out the game plan from the bench?? Correct me if I'm wrong, just a little confused on this frequently used comment of "just play your game." Since I'm a new poster perhaps I missed the meaning of this term back aways, no negative intended.

Go LANCERS!! Good luck to all the players, Coach E and Coach Amos!! These coaches are doing a GREAT JOB steering this ship!!

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

In the three games I was able to track, the Lancers lost all three: Nelsonville York 70-66, Racine Southern 47-32 and Charleston W.Va. Catholic (no score).

Foxworthy
Freshman Team

Post by Foxworthy »

a_c_m..........The Lancers lost to Trimble, Nelsonville-York, Waterford, Southern, Fairland. They have 3 wins against River Valley, Charleston Catholic and Rock Hill. In their last 4 outings they are 3-1. The first string was benched by Coach E mid-way through the third quarter at Fairland and sat the rest of the game. We used to call this "tough love" and I believe has served the Lancers well in their last 2 outings.

This team struggled early to find it's offense, putting up some really low shooting percentages. They were in all of those games they lost and except for the Fairland game enjoyed leads in all of them (2 or 3 in double digits) but would hit a "cold quarter" and bury themselves to far to recover.

From a fans perspective FH had only one returning starter and have just 2 Srs. playing so that lent itself to lots of youth who didn't see much floor time on JV or Varsity in 2007/2008. Also a new coach with a new system and high expectations which I believe has been great for this team. It has taken some time for everyone to adjust to each other but I believe they are over the first hump of many they will see this season which is always the case when a new coach/system is implemented.

From what I hear Coach Ellcessor is building on the good years and fine leadership of past coaches Vales and Butcher and striving to take this team and program up to the next level. He'll bring alot of enthusiasm and expectations to the game Saturday night. I believe his team will too! If they loose it won't be without a fight!

Go Lancers!!!

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

ACM, thanks for the scores. I plan on being at the game tomorrow night.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Thanks foxworthy for the corrections! I had the Chas Cath game backwards I guess. For some reason I thought they lost that game. It was a good win for the Lancers.

seasick80
All State

Post by seasick80 »

GO BURG! Play tough D, be disciplined on offense and take those open shots. Fed Hocking has not played a team like Burg so far so use that to your advantage and push them really hard. Good Luck!!

therepublican
Varsity

Post by therepublican »

GO BURG! I think burg will come to play. They are coming off a great win at Ironton and should be ready. Not sure exactly what FH has up their sleeves, but they should still have a tough time with the BURG. Good luck Pirates and play hard!

Return to “Boys Basketball”