Wheelersburg at Waverly January 16

soccerfix
Varsity

Wheelersburg at Waverly January 16

Post by soccerfix »

With Oak Hill getting beat by Minford this game is for the first half champion. It's suppose to be frigid outside Friday but steaming in the Hawhee Palace. Can't wait for tip off.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Wheelersburg at Waverly January 16

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

The Pirates will have to play much better than they have the last two outings if they expect to beat a very solid Waverly club on the road. Everyone will need to step up their game if they want to escape Waverly with a win and secure 1st place at the halfway point of the season.

Good luck Pirates!!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

The Tigers are playing pretty good ball as they continue to improve and build confidence. Teams cannot focus on one player as the Tigers are very balanced. Now that Kretzer is healthy and has his legs back he is stroking the ball from downtown.

I'd look for the Tigers to push the tempo against the Pirates.
If Lundin can stay out of foul trouble and do a decent job on Stegman I look for the Tigers to prevail.

What is Burgs league and overall record?

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

tigers2010onhuddle wrote:The Tigers are playing pretty good ball as they continue to improve and build confidence. Teams cannot focus on one player as the Tigers are very balanced. Now that Kretzer is healthy and has his legs back he is stroking the ball from downtown.

I'd look for the Tigers to push the tempo against the Pirates.
If Lundin can stay out of foul trouble and do a decent job on Stegman I look for the Tigers to prevail.

What is Burgs league and overall record?

8-2 (5-1 in conference)

loses at oak hill and at portsmouth

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

In Wheelersburg 4-1 league record are two wins by the skin of their teeth. Two last second wins at Minford and at home last night against Northwest.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

A win is a win regardless. We can't read too much into that. Burg has always found a way to win. Maybe some think they should have beaten those teams more handily but they are decent ball clubs.

Burg 5-1 (8-2)
Waverly 5-1 (7-2)

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

soccerfix wrote:In Wheelersburg 4-1 league record are two wins by the skin of their teeth. Two last second wins at Minford and at home last night against Northwest.

burg is 5-1 in conference not 4-1.

Dec.12 @ West W 74-55
Dec.16 Valley W 55-41
Dec.19 South Webster W 40-26
Jan. 6 @ Minford W 47-46
Jan. 9 @ L 35-53
Jan. 13 Northwest W 45-44 O.T.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

tigers2010onhuddle wrote:A win is a win regardless. We can't read too much into that. Burg has always found a way to win. Maybe some think they should have beaten those teams more handily but they are decent ball clubs.

Burg 5-1 (8-2)
Waverly 5-1 (7-2)

i agree 100% it don't matter if it's last second or a blowout as long as you get the 'W' thats all that matters

yabbadabbadoo
SEOP

Post by yabbadabbadoo »

soccerfix wrote:In Wheelersburg 4-1 league record are two wins by the skin of their teeth. Two last second wins at Minford and at home last night against Northwest.

Okay and your point is? A wins a win. Doesn't matter if it is by 1 or 100. Sure, they might have been sloppy, but with all that the Burg lost from last year and with only returning one starter from that squad, I'll take an 8-2, 4-1 record any day of the week.

Good teams find ways to win the sloppy, ugly games. They were down 9 last night and found a way and they were down 46-40 to Minford and won 47-46. I'd venture to guess that Coach Barrick is pleased with the way his young squad is playing. Could be better back I think he'll take it.

They gave Portsmouth all they wanted at there place and they beat a good Ironton team at Ironton.

No one expected this team to be this good this year, with them being so young, but when you enstill in them a winning attitude and they have been around winning teams most of their basketball lives, it is hard to get away from that. These boys will give you just a little more effort to get that win. That was never more evident in the win at Minford. They were down in the waning seconds, but not out. Yeah, it might have been by the skin of their teeth, but they pulled it out.

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

This will be a good game- i think it will be electric in the gym as Waverly has drawn really well and the Burg travels well. This game is got to be a surprise to everyone because a lot of people had the burg rebuilding and Waverly to young to be in this position.

I think this ends up a two point contest that could go either way. Waverly just needs to take it a game at a time and if they are lucky enough to come away with a win they just need to feel like the first half of the year is over and go out and start over again and see if they can win the second half too! No one expected the Tigers to be in this position and I think the kids like being the underdog.

Valley will be in it to the very end, as will Minford and Oak Hill. The winner of this game between Waverly and Wheelersburg will have a one game edge but they both know the second half of the year is going to be brutal. I honestly don't remember the league being this balanced in a long time.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Waverly has the advantage of being: home, taller and more experienced than the Pirates.

Wheelersburg has the better coach and an X factor that is hard to define.

Waverly would have to be favored in this contest.

As a whole the SOC talent is VERY young this year.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

yabbadabbadoo wrote:

Okay and your point is? A wins a win. Doesn't matter if it is by 1 or 100. Sure, they might have been sloppy, but with all that the Burg lost from last year and with only returning one starter from that squad, I'll take an 8-2, 4-1 record any day of the week.

Good teams find ways to win the sloppy, ugly games. They were down 9 last night and found a way and they were down 46-40 to Minford and won 47-46. I'd venture to guess that Coach Barrick is pleased with the way his young squad is playing. Could be better back I think he'll take it.

They gave Portsmouth all they wanted at there place and they beat a good Ironton team at Ironton.

No one expected this team to be this good this year, with them being so young, but when you enstill in them a winning attitude and they have been around winning teams most of their basketball lives, it is hard to get away from that. These boys will give you just a little more effort to get that win. That was never more evident in the win at Minford. They were down in the waning seconds, but not out. Yeah, it might have been by the skin of their teeth, but they pulled it out.

they are 5-1 in conference not 4-1. read up a couple posts

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

OK, I made a mistake Burg is 5-1 not 4-1 in the conference. I guess those wins do mean something.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP

Post by Mad-Dogg »

soccerfix wrote:OK, I made a mistake Burg is 5-1 not 4-1 in the conference. I guess those wins do mean something.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

outsider79
Waterboy

Post by outsider79 »

I think Wheelersburg should be the favorite in this game-but by the smallest of margins! Why? Schedule strength! The Pirates have played Portsmouth and Ironton where Waverly has only played Piketon (non-league) that is very good.

I really think both teams are fairly even -but Barrick is the best coach in the SOC and might be the best in southern Ohio (behind Van Meter of McClain) Robertson could be one of the better young coaches but I think we should wait until the end of the year to judge.

The Tigers looked pretty good against Valley but they still had a couple of kids that turned the ball over a lot- but overall they protected the ball when they had to- They got very good play off the bench by Ryan Robertson and Devin Kelly. Robertson is a scrapper and he plays like a senior- he is very strong and athletic and while he doesn't have the height of Victor he does give them quality minutes. Kelly is a youngster who has seemed to improve each game.

Wheelersburg struggled at home with Northwest but they probably wouldn't have if they don't get into foul trouble. Hank Leslie is tough and without Stegman to guard him it was incredible that Wheelersburg went into overtime without him and still won.

Both teams will be amped and the place will be packed and the result should be a very fun night to be at a ballgame.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

Most years home court doesn't mean much in this match up. There have been many years when Waverly played a more compeitive game or came out of top at the Burg while not fairing nearly as well at Waverly. With Stegman in the middle, Burgs history, and with the Tigers winning only winning a few games last year Waverly is clearly the underdog.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

What's last year's record have to do with these Tigers? Wheelersburg has one returning starter, Waverly has two. New season new game. I'll give Wheelersburg the X factor, they're like a kid on the playground that you beat up after you let him up he comes back for more.

Tigersports
Waterboy

Post by Tigersports »

This game will be a must see. I do not know enough about Burg to give a favorite, but i will say coach Barrick is a great basketball mind. The Tigers will enter into the Palace friday to a electric crowd and hopfully the Hooligans are in full force.

Remy needs to continue to do what Remy does limit TOs, shoot open shots, and defense all night long. D.Ro will be the best athlete on the floor and needs to show he is on another level defensively. Victor control the paint limit stupid fouls and get some putbacks. Kretz- freshman really? Unreal to this point, still improving just keep shooting and be unconsious shoot , shoot and shoot more and continue to limit TOs and play aggressive defense. Harrison as i have said since beginning of fall, Martin is the straw that stirs the drink for the Tigers just take your time and hit the freebies from the stripe.

Should be a great night for Hoops in the best basketball facility in southern ohio, great concessions, and great school spirit should be in the air.

All that being said and since i do not know much about Burg i will never go against my Tigers
Waverly 72- Burg 65 comes down to hitting FTs down the stretch.

Tigers2010 hope that voice is well rested because we are expecting alot from you as well big game .

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I've been battling this cold/head congestion/sore throat/coughing junk that's been going around. I can't seem to shake it but I'll be READY TO GO Friday night!

With road games remaining at Minford, Oak Hill, Valley & Burg the Tigers need to win this home game bad.
The top 6 teams in the league can beat each other on any given night, gotta win the home games and steal some on the road.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

I'll take Burg by 6........49-43.

Return to “Boys Basketball”