Ironton @ Chillicothe 1/20

Ironton vs Chillicothe who wins the rematch

Total votes: 0

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Ironton @ Chillicothe 1/20

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Ironton 9-3(5-1) visits Chillicothe 8-2(5-1) in a key SEOAL matchup and a tripple header with the Freshmen starting at 5:00pm. Should be another good game between two very good teams.

GO TIGERS........

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Re: Ironton @ Chillicothe 1/20

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I'd have to give Chilli the edge playing at home and since they are playing some really good ball of late.

irontontiger20
Waterboy

Post by irontontiger20 »

this is obviously the biggest game so far in the league..should be a good one..coach lafon will have them ready!

GO TIGERS!

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Chillicothe's smothering defense will win this one.........

Cavs 60
Tigers 52

randymac
Waterboy

Post by randymac »

Chill by 15 minimum. Fresh team with lots of games under their belt. Last meetig CHS had only played twice in three weeks. They were very rusty and and on the road. Blew a ten point lead because of lights out shooting from Ironton. Chill's Defense is as good if not better than last year's team. I do not always agree with Coach K but he knows how to teach kids defense. I do not even think this will be close.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I think the way Chillicothe is playing right now, the Cavaliers are in the driver's seat for the SEOAL South title with Ironton and Portsmouth coming to Hatton Gymnasium. CHS's defense is outstanding.........news flash........and their offense is starting to jell, although their defense will always be their calling card.

I look for Ironton to play hard like they always do.............

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

It's Game day, lets go get another big win against those Cavs.

GO TIGERS........

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

Chillicothe seems to be playing together now so this might be along night for the Tigers

ItownBrowns
Freshman Team

Post by ItownBrowns »

Has the makings of a very good game. Both teams are obviously talented. Chilli is playing very good ball right now, they need this win for conference standing, they are at home and of course a little payback to I'town. Ironton also needs this win. They need it for conference standing obviously also to keep from losing 2 straight. Playing on the road against top competition always tells you alot about your team.
While my gut tells me Chilli may win this game both teams are going to be playing their hearts out. At some time in this game Ironton will have to overcome some adversity and tough breaks. If they can keep their composure and see it through they should do well. Either way should be a very entertaining game with a boatload of enthusiasm and intensity.

ZvilleBlueDevil
JV Team

Post by ZvilleBlueDevil »

Chillicothe in this one..........

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

ALMOST GAME TIME
On the radio on WIRO 1230 AM
On the net: http://www.800wvhu.com/pages/hsbroadcasts.html
Click on the TIGER face in the middle of the page.

I'm starting a separate thread for UPDATES.
The Huntington highlanders game is coming on right now at 7:05 - don't despair Tiger Fans - when the Tiger/Cavs pre-game show starts, the feed on WIRO will switch to that game, but if you click on the webcast link right now you'll hear the wrong game - just be patient!
7:20 - Fighting Tiger Countdown just now coming on WIRO radio.

96stroker
JV Team

Post by 96stroker »

Final score yet?

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

chillicothe 58 - 35....held ironton 8 2nd half points

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Also posted the same on the other thread going.

Just returned from the "Hat" to see the rematch of the South Division leaders. Cavaliers take care of business on a sloppy slugfest. As I have stated all along, Chillys defense is what wins. Some on the other thread say the Tigers offense has went anemic, however, you just faced two of the best defensive programs in Ohio (period). Zanesville and Chilly both will D you up.

I thought the Tigers had more energy and wanted it more in the 1st qtr. However, as the game wore on and the turnovers mounted, Chillys defense took over. Compared to the first game where Lamb dominated on the glass, he was not a huge factor there tonight. He is a player and I love his game. Also Green got hot for 3 3-balls early and then disappeared.

One question for the Tiger faithful. Coach L. plays alot of players for you guys, but it seems Lamb and Green were out for long stretches. I did not see any other strong rebounding presence or instant offense on the floor.

As for the Cavs (from our official Stat guy), we held the Tigers to 26% shooting from the field. However, we did not fair much better with a mid 30%. WE missed layup after layup after layup. However, our D again bailed us out. From the free throw line we were only 12-21, but better then the 9-21 down at Ironton. Going forward that will not do. In the end, the game came down to my keys. Rebounding, Defense and turnovers. The Tigers probably hadd the edge on the boards (espcially offensive early), as we were defending the 3 ball, but I believe the stats will bear out we had the edge (simply due to the shooting % of the Tigers).

Kudo's to my two main men (Seth Dawes and Caleb Knights). I believe Dawes led us in scoring with a workmanlike 17 (and he even missed a few FT which is not like him). Knights lead the team in rebounding, assist and steals. He also helped disrupt the perimeter offense of the Tigers once we got comfortable with the offense they ran. Also, hats off to Michael Turner. He is quietly becoming a player. Double digits in points. A few steals and big time energy. Had he not missed a few layups, he might have had 16-18 points. Finially, I thought the rest of the guys bought energy on defense. Greg V. played well despite foul trouble and Ron S. had some nice blocks and controlled the boards in the 2nd half.

Good luck to the Tigers the rest of the way. The will make a nice run in the tourney and as always I will be pulling for them and all SEOAL members in the postseason.

GO CAVS!!!! DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!!!

ItownBrowns
Freshman Team

Post by ItownBrowns »

Was not at the game but from what it sounded like on the radio I was close in my idea of how this game would go. Game was very intense with alot of energy. When you are on the road and things start going south as they usually will at some point against good teams your true colors usually come out. How a team handles adversity tells you what kind of makeup they have. Ironton did not rise to the occassion when down. Their confidence went down and their mistakes went up. To quote Falco from the replacements movie its quicksand. The harder you fight the worse it gets. At critical times this team needs to go back to basics and focus more on execution and less on intensity.
Congrats to Chilly they played a superb game. I expected them to play much better this meeting and they did'nt dissapoint. Fine program having another successful year. They are the class of southern Ohio basketball. Best of luck the rest of the year and I expect them to continue to improve and fair very well come playoff time.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

ItownBrowns wrote:Was not at the game but from what it sounded like on the radio I was close in my idea of how this game would go. Game was very intense with alot of energy. When you are on the road and things start going south as they usually will at some point against good teams your true colors usually come out. How a team handles adversity tells you what kind of makeup they have. Ironton did not rise to the occassion when down. Their confidence went down and their mistakes went up. To quote Falco from the replacements movie its quicksand. The harder you fight the worse it gets. At critical times this team needs to go back to basics and focus more on execution and less on intensity.
Congrats to Chilly they played a superb game. I expected them to play much better this meeting and they did'nt dissapoint. Fine program having another successful year. They are the class of southern Ohio basketball. Best of luck the rest of the year and I expect them to continue to improve and fair very well come playoff time.

itownbrowns,

Thanks for the love and respect. The Tigers will bounce back and make a run. I think the two game rut will be over quickly.

GO CAVS!!!

ItownBrowns
Freshman Team

Post by ItownBrowns »

I agree with ya hitchbone, I do believe I'town will recover. It still seems as though I'town is still struggling to find that good cohesivness. If everyone stays healthy they'll get there, hopefully about the time playoffs start. Thats always a good time to peak. I'm just glad Chilli and I'town are in seperate divisions. It gives all of us in southern Ohio and the SEOAL more opportunites to represent up north.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Chillicothe's defense is phenomenal.......Ironton is a good team, and the Cavaliers put a second half blanket on them..........CHS is looking more and more like a Final 4 team.......yes, I said Final 4!!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

trojandave wrote:Chillicothe's defense is phenomenal.......Ironton is a good team, and the Cavaliers put a second half blanket on them..........CHS is looking more and more like a Final 4 team.......yes, I said Final 4!!

trojandave,

As always you are probably the wisest man in these parts (san PFloyd) in regards to knowledge of these teams. However, my beloved Cavs have alot of work to do before we stake any claims. Coach K. has told me for 4 years that Defense wins and gets you there, but once you get to deep in you have to make shots. We are improving but it is one game at a time.

I will say that this is one of the best defensive teams I have seen period. The committment, the unity and the rebounding is excellent. We were more athletic last year, but we gambled and got beat. This team is seemlingly always in position (though Coach would strongly disagree with that). What it brings is a chance to be in every game.

GO CAVS!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”