Portsmouth West @ Wheelersburg 1/20

Who wins this game?

Total votes: 0

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Portsmouth West @ Wheelersburg 1/20

Post by Mad-Dogg »

lets get some thoughts on this game. burg won the first meeting in december 74-55. i'm gonna say burg by 20+
Last edited by Mad-Dogg on Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

satis5
Waterboy

Re: Portsmouth West @ Wheelersburg 1/20

Post by satis5 »

Burg wins big 65-35

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

I watched the first Burg/West game on ZoneSports the other night and West has no offensive sets at all that I could see. I have never seen such a helter skelter offense in my life. It seemed like they would just bring the ball down and chuck up a three pointer without making more than one pass and most times it was the player that brought the ball up the court.

West also seemed to want to do a lot of double and triple teamimg the ball as it came up the floor which usually left a couple players wide open for easy buckets. You're not going to win many games that way.

Bricker seemes to be a really good player, but I didn't see much from the rest of the team. If the Burg keeps playing with the defensive intensity they have for the first half of the season they should win this one fairly handily.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Burg by 25......

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and go with Burg. Burg_Grad_77 pretty much nailed it. No set plays on offense, double or triple team on the press. Two or three good passes against our press, and a easy layup. The only difference from the first game is we've lost a couple seniors and three juniors. So it could get ugly. Alfie needs help Austin, Grooves, and Pendleton need to be in doulble digits for us to be close. And cut the turn overs in half. But stranger things have happened.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

The last game they played was very early. One would hope that both teams have improved since then. West has some talent, it just needed some direction to make them competitive.

Black@Orange is correct though about 'any given night'. Stranger things have happened.

But that said, this is the most likely win remaining on Wheelersburg's schedule. It just gets tougher from here.

Interested In All
Riding the Bench

Post by Interested In All »

It is probably unlikely that a Barrick coached team will lose to our struggling Senators,but now is the time for West to pull together and work hard down the stretch for tournament time.Their seeding will be tough and I'm sure we will be very low and play a tough opponent but thats adversity .Play hard

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

You never know what you are going to get with West. Burg had better be ready to play tomorrow night after two, emotional games against NW and Waverly. BurgGrad77 nailed the scouting report for West, plus they play very little defense. Burg should win but that is why you play the game.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Final score?

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

It was 56-42 Wheelersburg. The Burg had a huge lead going into the 4th quarter, but Barrick took out the starters and West put up 25 points in the 4th after only scoring 17 through the first three quarters of play. West scored 2 points in the 1st quarter, 15 in the 2nd, 0 in the 3rd, and 25 in the 4th.

Very sloppy ballgame by both team, but I think that has a lot to do with Wests helter skelter style of play.

coop
SEOPS

Post by coop »

Good business like win for Burg tonight.....sets up a BIG game with Valley @ Valley friday night.

Burg is 7-1 in SOC2 play and Valley is 6-2 right on the Pirates heels..

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

ignert1, Bricker proabley had has least productive night of the season , and Brug wins by 14. Congradulations to Burg, on stopping Alfie. Very sloppy game by West. Way to many turn overs, missed shots around the boards. It would have been nice if Pendleton could have drawn some fouls in the 2nd qaurter. Nothing was falling for us on penatration, Steggman(spelling) gets in foul trouble we might have a chance. Steggman is really impressive. I know that Burg does'nt have any seniors, but alot of times tonight we had 2 freshman,2 sophmores, and Alfie. Our younger players have very little varsity time. But I do think they are getting better. It will be nice to have a couple of practices with our new varisty team. Barrick did take some starters out in the 4th, but I don't think it was all at once. And he did put some back in after a couple (mini runs), and a few turn overs. Brug must play better than they did tonight, down the strecth. We score only 2 points in 1st and 3rd quarters and lose by 14? Should have been worse.

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

Wheelersburg only can take out four starters at a time. So there will always be at least one on the floor. They only really have a nine player roster. The most that Wheelersburg led by was 26 (41-15) and that was early in the fourth quarter. That dropped to 16 and went back up to 20 and then dropped again in the final minute or so to the final margin. Wheelersburg led by 20 with 1:36 remaining (54-34).

All nine players for Wheelersburg ended up scoring in the game.

The last of West's 15 first-half points was a nice half-court+ 3-point shot at the buzzer at the end of the second quarter. Must have used up all their luck because they couldn't hit anything in the third. Either that or they were saving all their luck for the fourth. ;-)

West's scoring by quarter was 2/13/0/27 = 42
Wheelersburg's was 12/13/14/17 = 56

THE'GENERAL'
Freshman Team

Post by THE'GENERAL' »

by not seeing this game but also watching burg versus valley and west early, it seems wheelersburg has 9 varsity players that knows how to play the way coach barrick wants them to play. they wouldnt be on the varsity if they couldnt play so dont take away from west for only getting beat by 14. i am sure coach barrick isnt happy with giving up 27 points in the fourth. i am glad that west just didnt give up with all the youth playing for west now the future looks bright. people going to have to understand that they are going to have bad quarters where they score very little just need to work harder on defense and not give up as many points when your not scoring.

Black@Orange
Freshman Team

Post by Black@Orange »

Guys, don't get me wrong the better team won last night. The new West varisity team has been together since friday. So I think that it could a confidence builder for our youngsters. To be down by 10 at half, and lose by 14, to the conference leader. I feel bad for our seniors that this season could'nt have been better. And I don't always agree with Coach Smith, but lets take the season for what it is. Lets back our team and hope this is a building block for the future.
GO SIDERS!

P.S. Nice gym, nice band, and nice student section. Even with the loss, nice evening of HS basketball.

Cameron34Crazie34
All State

Post by Cameron34Crazie34 »

All I have to say is that West is lucky that Barrick is a respecatble coach and didn't run the score board up on us last night. You are not going to win to many ball games when you only score 2 points in the first and get outscored 14-0 in the third. Burg could have won by around 30 if Barrick would have allowed it. Another thing is that I really enjoyed being in the new school, even though it was BURG! :lol: I loved the student section at the begining of the game, man was they rocking. As the game went on the student section set down due to the game being a slow low scoring game. For West to win they need to get out of the gates alot better than we have in any game this year. West has won 2 ball games and they were down pretty much the whole first half in them too. I hope that this young guys playing varsity this year can builid off this year and post some good seasons in the next couple of years.

Burg is impressive to be so young. With no Seniors and be on top of the SOC is really impressive. Big man is really good. And the way they play defense is also impressive. I love to watch a good defensive team, I just wish it was West.

GOOD LUCK TO THE SIDERS ON THE REST OF THE SEASON!

drrabbit
All State

Post by drrabbit »

>>GOOD LUCK TO THE SIDERS ON THE REST OF THE SEASON!<<

Amen to that. I hope you win all the rest of your games--unless you meet the Pirates in the tournament and then I have to root for Wheelersburg of course. But until that happen...

Return to “Boys Basketball”