Coach fired for running up score 100- 0

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: Coach fired for running up score 100- 0

Post by Ironman92 »

After the 3rd qtr and my team already has tried to unnoticably let them score without success, I'd ask the other coach if it was OK that if later in the game if they hadn't scored that I would draw up a play with them pressing for us to shoot in the opponents basket to get them on the board.

Though I can't imagine having a shutout at halftime and not just playing your 5 worst players the entire 2nd half....surely their best would score against the 5 worst sometime during the half.

Either way....any coach that coaches should love kids...and no coach that loves kids would defeat a team 100-0. Too many things could've been done and still win like 85-6 or something ridiculous, but not 100-0.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Maybe Clay had done something similar to them within recent memory.

I don't condone doing it to that extent, but there is usually a reason behind running the score up.

rivercat
Freshman Team

Post by rivercat »

Maybe I'm behind the times but incidents like this illustrate why sports are not as enjoyable to watch as they used to be even though skill levels have increased. It used to be a coach wouldn't full court press with a substantial lead in a basketball game, steal bases when up 15 runs in a baseball game or throw the football when up 30 points in a football game but those things happen often now. Nowadays basketball players who knock a player down with a hard foul will step over him rather than help him up and football players will do a dance routine when stopping a running back for a 4 yard gain. It's unfortunate that some of these tendancies are filtering down to the high school level. I would hope that this firing would show coaches that sportsmanship as important a teaching point as fundamentals.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

It's a nice hope....but it won't happen.

The good coaches don't allow the things you mentioned and the ones that do....welll they may know their X's and O's....but they know nothing about sportsmanship.

BUCKEYE NUT
Riding the Bench

Post by BUCKEYE NUT »

THIS IS REALLY NOT ABOUT VALLEY, AND COACH V. IT IS ABOUT ANOTHER TEAM. COACH V. IS A VERY GOOD MAN AND COACH AND LOVE'S CHRILDREN. THE SCORE WAS VALLEY 72 CLAY 29. CLAY WAS LEADING 11 TO 2 WITH THE KEATON KID HAVING ALL 11 POINTS AND WAS TAKEN OUT OF THE GAME AND SAW ONLY ABOUT 5 OR 6 MINIUTE THE REST OF THE GAME. COACH V. PLAYED 12 PLAYERS IN THIS GAME AND SHOOTING 3'S IS SURE A LOT LOWER PERCENT SHOT THAN SHOOTING LAY UP. YOUR GRIP IS NOT WITH VALLEY BUT WITH IN YOUR OWN SYSTEM. CLAY TALENT IS VERY SIM AT THE PRESENT, BUT I AM SURE COACH TRAINER WILL GET THIS PROGRAM UP TO PAR IF HE IS GIVEN A CHANCH BUT I THINK THE HAND WRITING IS ON THE WALL AND A CHANGE IS ABOUT TO BE MADE. 100 TO 0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE TEAM WITH 0 SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING IN OHSAA LEAGUE BUT IN A INTRAMURIAL BALL WITH IN THERE OWN SCHOOL.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

So the kid had all 11 points and was taken out and hardly played again in a blowout?

Obviously taking 3's is a lot lower percentage than layups.....but I've never been on a team leading by a great deal and the coach say to make sure you only shoot 3's so we don't rub it in...it's typically a layup or don't shoot.

And I doubt the team from another state is in the OHSAA.

sportsmr
Freshman Team

Post by sportsmr »

Sounds like they need to play better.

BUCKEYE NUT
Riding the Bench

Post by BUCKEYE NUT »

I JUST NOW READ THE ARTICAL AND IT HAPPENED IN TEXAS AND WAS ALSO A GIRLS TEAM. THE SCHOOL WAS FOR KIDS WITH LEARNING DIABILTY, HOW SAD, THEY HAD NOT WON A GAME FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS. AND YES THE KEATON BOY WAS TAKEN OUT FOR NO REASON AT ALL AND ONLY PLAYED ABOUT 5 OR 6 MINIUTES THE REST OF THE GAME, HE COULD HAVE KEPT CLAY IN THIS GAME. I HAVE NO IDEA WHY COACH TRAINER SIT HIM ON THE BENCH. IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A LOT DIFFERNT GAME HAD HE NOT PULLED A TRICK LIKE THAT. HE WAS NOT IN FOUL TROUBLE AND FROM THAT POINT ON CLAY LOOKED LOST ON THE COURT, IT WAS A SAD SITURATION.

BUCKEYE NUT
Riding the Bench

Post by BUCKEYE NUT »

I AM A CLAY GRAD, BUT I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING VALLEY BASKETBALL AND THERE IS NO BAD BLOOD BETWEEN THESE TWO SCHOOL. SPORTSMANSHIP IS BEYOND REPROCE AT BOTH OF THESE SCHOOL. I AM PROUD BEING A OLE PANTHER BUT AT THE TIME I AM ALSO PROUD OF VALLEY INDIANS. IN A COUPLE OF YEARS CLAY PROGRAM WILL BE BACK AT THE TOP, JUST THE WAY IT USE TO BE. CLAY IS JUST HAVING GROWING PAINS.

Trojanbuckeye
Riding the Bench

Post by Trojanbuckeye »

I just read this story on CNN.com and I read the coach & players response to the running up of the score. It seems to me that he was fired because he defended his girls and spoke against the school district. The district said the girls should be ashamed of themselves, that the school was, and the coach defended his players.

We all know instances of a score being run up, no matter what sport. What the final outcome should be is what do the kids come away with.

The team that was beat had not won a game in 4 seasons, the team that won was beat 3 years ago 86-22 and decided enough was enough.

Who knows the answer....

BUCKEYE NUT
Riding the Bench

Post by BUCKEYE NUT »

YES IGNERT1, I KNOW WHAT THEY SAY BUT I AM A OLD MAN AND CAN'T SEE TO GOOD AND ALSO CAN'T SPELL TO GOOD AND I AM NOT YELLING AT ANY ONE, JUST LIKE TO CHAT ON HERE A LITTLE. THANKS FOR TELLING ME ABOUT MY USE OF THE UPPERCASE, BUT IT JUST MAKES IT EASER ON ME.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I do not think he should have been fired........maybe the team went a little over the top with the score, but what about the other team? They decided to field a team and play official games........they have a responsibility to get better just as much as the winning team has a responsibility to show good sportsmanship.

Does the losing team want people to continue to feel sorry for them or are they going to work hard enough to make sure this never happens again?

Once again.......they decided to field a team.........maybe they shouldn't schedule teams like this in the future until they have upgraded their program.

ocho stinko
JV Team

Post by ocho stinko »

trojandave- are you serious? we are talking about 14 , 15, 16 year old kids for heaven sakes. even at the pro and college level they call off the dogs. The coach should have been fired after his comments were made. the school apologized then he refutes their apology. I think we forget this is high school sports.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I have trouble with my blinking pattern when trying to read the posts in all caps.

jacksonoaks
Freshman Team

Post by jacksonoaks »

Coach should have never been fired.
i do not know any coach that is going to tell his team not to score.
nothing should have been done to the girls or the coach,
if the other team did not want to get beat so bad, maybe they should not have had a team.
you only get better by playing better teams.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

You can get better shooting in the backyard.

I agree the coach should not have been fired and definately nothing should happen to the girls.

Return to “Boys Basketball”