Federal Hocking Lancers

lightsout1
Waterboy

Federal Hocking Lancers

Post by lightsout1 »

With Howdy and crew now in Stewart, whats the prediction for the Lancers? I understand they have some size and decent guards, but only coming off a 4 or 5 win season last year? Thoughts...

Steegal
Freshman Team

Re: Federal Hocking Lancers

Post by Steegal »

Howie would have won many more games with what they had last year. Let's just hope he can repair the damage from the last coach quickly. He turned EHS around the first season he was there, so let's hope he can do the same with FH.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

I look for the Lancers to be a much improved team this year. They will be the biggest team in the league by far. FH is loaded at the C and PF positions with Chris Saylor 6'11'', Mark Sheets 6'8'', and Austin Russell 6'3", along with Max Carney 6'2" and Clayton Steele 6'1". The one weak spot I see in this team is depth at the guard position, with Shawn Parsons and Corey Rex being the only guards with Varsity experience. Nevertheless, with Howie at the helm combined with what I consider to be a down year in the quality of the TVC Hocking, I look for the Lancers to make a strong push towards a league title.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

Nelsonville-York had tons of height last year - but it got them nowhere except the bottom of the TVC-Ohio. Of course, Howie makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE and we'll all find out if he can make it work in Lancer land. I find it very interesting that Caldwell had absolutly no height at Eastern the past few years, using 6'1 Titus Pierce and 6'0 Devon Baum at the center position in 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 respectively. I want to see what he can do with size underneath the basket. The last time I seen Howie with size was back on 2002 when he had Cody Dill and Robbie Cross - and that team faired pretty well making it all the way to the Fairgrounds.

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

93Bulldog wrote:Nelsonville-York had tons of height last year - but it got them nowhere except the bottom of the TVC-Ohio. Of course, Howie makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE and we'll all find out if he can make it work in Lancer land. I find it very interesting that Caldwell had absolutly no height at Eastern the past few years, using 6'1 Titus Pierce and 6'0 Devon Baum at the center position in 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 respectively. I want to see what he can do with size underneath the basket. The last time I seen Howie with size was back on 2002 when he had Cody Dill and Robbie Cross - and that team faired pretty well making it all the way to the Fairgrounds.
Nelsonville-York was a tall team last year, but they did not have a 7 footer and a 6'8'' backup. I don't look for the Lancers to light up the scoreboard this year, but I don't think there will be any team that will be able to score in the paint on them.

noreply66
SEOPS Hippo

Post by noreply66 »

How do they grow them so tall?

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Howie = Big Difference-maker.
I look for Fed Hock to do well this season.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

WitnessProtection wrote:Howie = Big Difference-maker.
I look for Fed Hock to do well this season.
Stomper sure can coach I will say that. I hear he is good at getting kids to focus on basketball too if you know what I mean. ;-)

meigs_pride
Waterboy

Post by meigs_pride »

They are lacking ball movement and transition game. I don't think their height gives them any more advantage over anyone else. Especially when their timing on rebounding is off and their coordination of bringing the ball down for the rebound isn't that great. They will struggle, even with Howie!

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

They couldn't beat Federal Hocking smaller teams when he had Dill and Cross. Howie is a point guard coach and I'm sure he'll find some freshman or soph. that he'll develop to step in and help at the guard position.

2short2dunk
Waterboy

Post by 2short2dunk »

gymrat88 wrote:I look for the Lancers to be a much improved team this year. They will be the biggest team in the league by far. FH is loaded at the C and PF positions with Chris Saylor 6'11'', Mark Sheets 6'8'', and Austin Russell 6'3", along with Max Carney 6'2" and Clayton Steele 6'1". The one weak spot I see in this team is depth at the guard position, with Shawn Parsons and Corey Rex being the only guards with Varsity experience. Nevertheless, with Howie at the helm combined with what I consider to be a down year in the quality of the TVC Hocking, I look for the Lancers to make a strong push towards a league title.
Hey gymrat....you forgot a senior guard with varsity experience..Josh Coen. His defense and intensity will flourish under Howie. Plus, he can knock it in from three point land. He will have an impact.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

You can't stop Federal Howie, you can only hope to contain them!!!!!!
That's silly. :lol:

gymrat88
JV Team

Post by gymrat88 »

2short2dunk wrote:
gymrat88 wrote:I look for the Lancers to be a much improved team this year. They will be the biggest team in the league by far. FH is loaded at the C and PF positions with Chris Saylor 6'11'', Mark Sheets 6'8'', and Austin Russell 6'3", along with Max Carney 6'2" and Clayton Steele 6'1". The one weak spot I see in this team is depth at the guard position, with Shawn Parsons and Corey Rex being the only guards with Varsity experience. Nevertheless, with Howie at the helm combined with what I consider to be a down year in the quality of the TVC Hocking, I look for the Lancers to make a strong push towards a league title.
Hey gymrat....you forgot a senior guard with varsity experience..Josh Coen. His defense and intensity will flourish under Howie. Plus, he can knock it in from three point land. He will have an impact.
Most definitely, my apologies to Mr. Coen. I agree with your assessment. He is a great on ball defender.

newlex/sheridan
Varsity

Post by newlex/sheridan »

Who the heck coached them last year? A team with a near 7 footer and a 6'8 in the TVC and they won 4 ball games? Yikes

Steely Dan
SEOP

Post by Steely Dan »

93Bulldog wrote:Nelsonville-York had tons of height last year - but it got them nowhere except the bottom of the TVC-Ohio. Of course, Howie makes a HUGE DIFFERENCE and we'll all find out if he can make it work in Lancer land. I find it very interesting that Caldwell had absolutly no height at Eastern the past few years, using 6'1 Titus Pierce and 6'0 Devon Baum at the center position in 2009/2010 and 2010/2011 respectively. I want to see what he can do with size underneath the basket. The last time I seen Howie with size was back on 2002 when he had Cody Dill and Robbie Cross - and that team faired pretty well making it all the way to the Fairgrounds.
Yes, and the last time that I saw a Howie coached team with some size, was around 2003 and 2004 with Dill and Cross, plus the much hyped Cozart at the shooting/point/everything guard, and the much smaller Fed Hock team handed their heads to them in 2004 when Dill was a senior, at Reedsville and in Stewart. There was no slamming the ball over any Lancer in those games, the way I remember it. Joe Butcher just seemed to have Howie's number, if memory serves me right.

Hope that Howie can work some magic at the Fed, it has been a few down years for a historically successful, and proud program. Let's see how it plays out this year.

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Will there be some freshman or soph. move up and contribute to the Lancers?

2short2dunk
Waterboy

Post by 2short2dunk »

greatone wrote:Will there be some freshman or soph. move up and contribute to the Lancers?
So far Alex Nichols and Pete Crum have been improving with every scrimmage...both sophmores. Most likely the pair will split jv / varsity minutes.

Steegal
Freshman Team

Post by Steegal »

You can trust one thought for sure. Howie will dominate the TVC Hocking now that he is at a school that truly promotes the basketball program. He will get the boys of FH to focus solely on basketball and win many championships in the process. So beware anyone who tries to get in his way. :12224

warriorfrosh
JV Team

Post by warriorfrosh »

Looking forward to seeing how the Warriors match up with the Lancer size this Friday at Athens.....thought we were scrimmaging Eastern but I guess it was changed at the last minute....the Warriors have looked pretty good so far in the pre-season, have solid senior leadership and some youngsters who can play ball...but we haven't gone up against that kind of size....the tallest Warrior is 6'3" Windland, Patton, and French)...

freethrow
Varsity

Post by freethrow »

Federal won't stand a chance

Return to “Boys Basketball”