Div. 4 Tourney Match-ups!

BALLER1
Freshman Team

Div. 4 Tourney Match-ups!

Post by BALLER1 »

I know we are 2 weeks away from the first sectional games, but lets get some thoughts on the match-ups! I know there is bitterness about the draw, but lets try to keep that out of the threads! Lets talk about each match-up, your thoughts, teams strengths, advantages, etc.

Lets all get excited that tourney time is finally here!!!

Welston games-

2-23 @ Wellston HS

8)South Gallia vs 9)St Joes @ 6:15
Winner gets 1)Oak Hill on 3-3 @ 6:15

7)Symmes Valley vs. 10)Miller @ 8:00
Winner gets 2)Southern on 3-3 @ 8:00

3-2 @ Wellston HS

4)Eastern Pike vs. 5)Eastern Meigs @ 6:15

3) Waterford vs. 6) Trimble @ 8:00

2-23 @ Valley HS

7) South Webster vs. 10) Green @ 7:00
Winner gets 2) Manchester on 3-3 @ 8:00

2-24 @ Valley HS

8) Clay vs 9) Paint Valley @ 6:15
Winner gets 1) Western on 3-3 @ 6:15

6) Notre Dame vs 11) New Boston @ 8:00
Winner gets 3) East on 3-2 @ 8:00

3-2 @ Valley HS

4) Fairfield vs 5) Whiteoak at 6:15

There are the games, what are your thoughts?

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Re: Div. 4 Tourney Match-ups!

Post by friday_nite_fan »

BALLER1 wrote:8)South Gallia vs 9)St Joes @ 6:15

Serious HOSE job on this one!!!! I just hope this doesn't kill the morale of the Rebels. They have finally found their rhythm at the right time of the year and then get one stuck in them by the TVC coaches (every coach from the TVC voted SG for the 8 seed). Ignorance at its finest happened in Jackson yesterday folks!! Good luck Rebels and don't let it get you down...

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Post by frank-n-beans »

Stop bitchin' everyone. If you wanna be the man, you gotta beat the man. My team will be one and done but I'm not complaining. If you're pi$$ed because you have to play "X" team then you know you weren't good enough to begin with. LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

BTW, I got Webster beating the 'hounds and goin' to the 'Convo.

Bassmaster
S

Post by Bassmaster »

Survive and advance is the name of the game in the second season :!:

catscoachmac
Riding the Bench

Post by catscoachmac »

I didn't get a response when I commented on another thread, so I'll try again. Does anybody find it odd that there are 7-8 days between the 1st and 2nd round of the Sectionals. I may be completely mistaken, but I was thinking when I played, (mid 90's) that we played those 1st 2 games in the same week. Am I losing it or is this a relatively new-look schedule?

Sawdust
Freshman Team

Post by Sawdust »

It does seem to be drawn out a little more but it will give the teams a little more time to prepare, and that's a good thing. You aren't losing it yet coach, too young for that. I, on the other hand, can't remember what I just said! ;-) ;-) ;-)

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

poor scheduling. at tournament time there should never be more than two or three days between games. the entire tournament is too drawn out. first week sectional, second week district, third week regional, fourth week state. it shouldn't take two or three weeks to finish a sectional. in some areas a team might have to wait 10 days to play their first tournament games.
sectionals should be held at the school with the better seed.

catscoachmac
Riding the Bench

Post by catscoachmac »

I agree with Sawdust in that the extra prep time could be nice; however, on the otherhand I think tourney time is more about rhythm and carrying momentum from 1 game to the next. I think if I'm a player I would want to ride that "MO" into the next game a couple days later and not have to wait a week or more. Smarter folks than I make the schedules though.
Side note and this may not be the thread to discuss this, but as far as I know the Green Bobcats and South Webster Jeeps have rescheduled the regular season game that was cancelled due to snow. Wonder if they will still play that game considering they've drawn one another for round 1. What do you do in this case bleacher coaches? Sandbag and not show all your cards, or pull out all stops trying to send a message and risk not having any surprises when it matters most?

Lightle04
SE

Post by Lightle04 »

I think being this late into the season you would try to build some mo for the tourny and go alout if the other coach for the other team hasnt watched film on you by tourny time to no your team theres a problem with him.So i say play the game to win.

Operator
Riding the Bench

Post by Operator »

Catscoachmac,In reguard to the Bobcats and Jeeps playing in a regular game before tournament you would treat it just like another game except for the fact that you will have a film to watch of them. At this point you aren't going to make any major changes in what you are doing. You can make adjustments from watching film but you need to try and be as good as you can at what you do as team.Also,try to play defense better thatn you have all season.You won't advance if you don't. Make the other team have to prepare to beat you.Just my opinion

catscoachmac
Riding the Bench

Post by catscoachmac »

Yeah, I like where your head's at Operator--especially in regard to D! I think I go at it like you discussed too. That way as you analyze your film it's relevant to what you actually do. I'm really excited for this matchup.

Operator
Riding the Bench

Post by Operator »

It will be a tough game for Green. The Jeeps are a little better than their record because of the compitition they have played. I saw the Clay game the other night and they destroyed Clay

cbaseball33
Freshman Team

Post by cbaseball33 »

clay gna come redy in the toirnaments 4get the regular season when the the tournaments come it s a all new season

U know?
Riding the Bench

Post by U know? »

Well here's another thread about SG that's getting deleted soon. It never fails. SG's always put down in a very bad way!!!

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

South Galia is a fairly decent basketball team but if they want to get respect they need to stop playing half a dozen christian schools and play more games against D3/4 teams from Southeast District. For example - try to schedule some home/away series with some of the Soc 1 schools and beat them convincingly - that woud be a good start.

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

South Galia is a fairly decent basketball team but if they want to get respect they need to stop playing half a dozen christian schools and play more games against D3/4 teams from Southeast District. For example - try to schedule some home/away series with some of the Soc 1 schools and beat them convincingly - that woud be a good start.

Jimmy, I see your point and I respect your opinion. Even though we dont play a half dozen games against Christian schools we do play four. It would look better on paper to play schools local that are well known by everyone on here.

I have not said anything about the draw after Sunday besides we accept our challenge, but I will add this one thing. Everything said about SG is about our schedule. We have proven in the past tourneys that we were more than ready to play and deserving of what we got, like last year being the 10 seed and losing to Waterford who was the 3 by 1 point. Do I think it was our schedule that got us voted down to the 8 seed and to advance out we would have to play a state ranked Oak Hill team? NO! I do think us beating a team like Buffalo convincingly when most everyone lost, like the 6 seed Trimble losing to the last seed Miller by nearly 20, should have helped us some. It would have probabaly helped us more if we would have lost that game by 50 rather than win it. Like I said, I dont think our schedule had much to do with it and I will just leave it at that.

So just think as if your a Senior on the Rebel Basketball team. Your team has been on a winning streak, playing your best ball of the year right before the tournament. You beat a pretty good team in Buffalo pretty handidly when pretty much everyone else besides the 1, 3, and 10 seed loses. You would feel pretty good about your chances at a 5-7 seed, right? Then your coach comes in Monday to tell you that you are going to play a play-in game to play Oak Hill. How would you feel?

I am not whining or anything about what we drew. Am I a little upset about it? Sure I am but I will get over it like I do anything else. It would have helped if we didnt start out 2-6 and yes that is our fault. But the way we are playing now is like night and day and I think a few people at Jackson Sunday realized that.

Good Luck to all the teams in the tourney. Should be a good one!

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Monster, I agree with most of what you said - but in the back of my mind I still believe coaches see/know that 4 of your wins are against Christian Schools. Nothing against these schools but frankly, they play on another level - probably closer to average JV teams. That is just the truth - im sorry. Also, early in the year the scores arent even close almost as if S.G wasnt even able to compete with teams. Losing to East by 19, Symmes Valley by 17, and only beating New Boston by 2 at home doesnt speak well as far as my premise of scheduling more of them. I believe you when you say they are playing well now but early on was attrocious. Where they playing well when they beat New Boston by 2?

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Post by The Gloaming »

friday_nite_fan wrote:
BALLER1 wrote:8)South Gallia vs 9)St Joes @ 6:15

Serious HOSE job on this one!!!! I just hope this doesn't kill the morale of the Rebels. They have finally found their rhythm at the right time of the year and then get one stuck in them by the TVC coaches (every coach from the TVC voted SG for the 8 seed). Ignorance at its finest happened in Jackson yesterday folks!! Good luck Rebels and don't let it get you down...

Blah....the same thing happened to Alexander in D3 except they actually deserved a #1....South Gallia is a good fit for the #8...who have they beat that makes you think they deserve better?

Mercerville Monster
All Conference

Post by Mercerville Monster »

The New Boston game is when it started turning around, but it clearly wasnt our best ball. Everyone was beating New Boston like that as well. They lost to the 3 seed in the valley bracket the same way. They said they had lost something like five games by a margin of 1-2 points. But the Friday before the drawing, Symmes Valley gets beat by them by 11 and ends up the 7 seed.

I can see where you are coming from Jimmy, but I just think some of them knew in the back of their mind that we were playing better ball than alot of people at this point of the season, and rather than worry about us they put us in the play in game with the winner getting Oak Hill. Does it help their chances? Sure it does. But I personally think it is wrong.

But like I said before. We will accept it and play our hardest like we do every year and try to give ourselves a shot.

friday_nite_fan
Varsity

Post by friday_nite_fan »

The Gloaming wrote:South Gallia is a good fit for the #8...who have they beat that makes you think they deserve better?

Who did Davidson beat last year in the regular season to deserve the #10 seed in the NCAA tourney?????????? Why weren't they a 13, 14 or 15??? It really didn't matter did it because they steamrolled their way through the tournament. Not saying SG will mow people down in the tournament, I'm just saying who you play in the regular season means NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What will all of you people do if SG gets in the SOC and you can't badmouth our schedule anymore? Will you start downgrading that conference since we would be a member?? I know you people would have to say something because it has become a ritual on SEOPS to laugh at our kids and communities accomplishments....

Return to “Boys Basketball”