Chillicothe @ Waverly on Tuesday 2/17

MoonTang
Waterboy

Chillicothe @ Waverly on Tuesday 2/17

Post by MoonTang »

Already looking to Tuesday....Chilli @ Waverly.
No one gives the young Tigers much of a chance.

Predictions?

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Re: Chillicothe @ Waverly on Tuesday 2/17

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Cavaliers may be playing on tired legs. We are looking at 8 games in 14 days. This will be number 6. We played our 5th in 8 days tonight with a big 70-67 overtime win against a very strong and athletic Reynoldsburg (OCC) team.

IMO, the Cavs will still be struggling from tired legs, so the game will be won on the defensive end. The Cavs cannot overlook Waverly with a huge league game looming on Thursday. I also except to see more of young Malik London (Freshman). He has had an impressive debut to this point. After missing most of the season, he is playing with energy and making some heady plays. He has been getting about 1 1/2, but I expect him to get probably 2 quarters on Tuesday after playing 1-2 quarters on JV.

If Waverly can handle the defensive pressure and equal the Cavs on the glass, then this will be a tough game. The Cavs (until tonight) have not played real well on the road. Though it is only 15 miles down ST. RT 23, we will be in hostile territory. Hopefully we get a nice contingent of the Cav faithful making the trip.

From an individual standpoint, I am looking forward to an athletic matchup between Roback and either Gregg Vanvolkingburg or Ronnie Smith. My guess is that will be a physical matchup. Also, with Harrison Martin hitting at 20 plus a night, it will be interesting to see how we match up with him. Also, Seth Dawes has been averaging a double/double over the past 6-8 games. With his inside/outside game, the Tigers may have a tough time there. In the end, the guard play may decide things. With the 4 year starter Caleb Knights guarding the freshman Kretzer, I expect Caleb to provide some typical lock down defense. Finally, Mike Turner (who has been on fire) will match up with the Remy. I fully expect Knights, Turner and Thompson (off the bench) to put plenty of pressure on the Tigers backcourt. If the bigs bring the ball up for the Tigers, then the Cavs will end up with a rebounding edge, as both Knights and Turner can go get it on the glass. Also, the Cavs will not let the Tigers reset their offense when the break the press.

Look forward to spending the evening in Tiger country on Tuesday and then the Wednesday morning followup over a cup of tea or coffee with some of Pike County's finest people.

GO CAVS!!!

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I think the Tigers have the bigger challenge with some of those match-ups. Also, with only 9 players on the roster everyone knows the Tigers are not very deep.
I would imagine the Cavs will bring pressure similar to, probably even worse, then what the Tigers saw Friday night at Valley. The Tigers better handle it better than they did Friday night.

MoonTang
Waterboy

Post by MoonTang »

Hitchbone,

Nice evaluation going-in. Thanks for the input.

Tigers too are playing a 7 game 14 night stretch.
It's gotta be tough on these kids....late nights +academics.
Thank goodness for a day-off school on Monday....much needed R&R for both parties.

I'm looking for an explosion of athleticism from both teams. Perhaps the best display of D1 recruits (football, baseball, basketball, soccer) in one location.

The last thing I want to see is an ugly, out-of-control, lose-your-head type of atmosphere. I think both the Chilli fans and Waverly crowd are above this.

Not as huge a game for the Cavs as is for the Tigers. Could be a defining game for the young Tigers....heading-in to the tourney vs. McClain.

Great Teams win BIG Games.
Go Tigers / Go Cavs!

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

Tough game should be a good crowd Tues. at the gym Hawhee built.
One of the reasons I liked watching Robertson start Sat. night for the tigers, with the bigs bringing the ball up court for Waverly gave them more rebounding. Very good point Hitchbone.
And I hope we have a good unit come in to ref this game, (maybe they can bring Tink and Felix in for this one j/k) last nights officiating with Huntington was horrible, the one ref has his hands ready for the t when he walks into the gym. I don't blame Rick for getting lit up one bit, Travis kept his composure how I dont know.
Good luck to both teams and heres hoping for a Tiger victory.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Hopefully the refs will let the kids play. I am through for the decade bashing any official, however, last night in Reynoldsburg we had the pleasure of getting a top notch crew. Much different then we see in the SEOAL in terms of allowing the kids to play, but not letting it get out of hand.

As for the game, I know the Chilly kids may be peaking to Thursday (Zanesville), but IMO, Coach K. does as good a job as anybody and better then almost all of keeping the kids in the moment. I am sure Monday's practice will be all about the Tigers and what we need to do. I also think this will be a good test for the Tigers as they get ready for both Wheelersburg and Greenfield McClain. I am not sure you will find more then 2-3 better defensive teams in the Southest in terms of year-in and year-out defending.

The Tigers coaching staff gets to face three "legends" in their own right. I would imagine that the combined win totals of Coach Kellough, Coach Barrick and Coach VanMetre are way up there. However, I wonder if adding those three's win total would add up to the 1000 Coach Pat Summitt from the Tennesee Vols just accomplished.

Also, after sleeping on last nights game, I also want to note that the Cavs without a doubt played their best road contest of the year. That is good news as we travel to Waverly on Tuesday. The crowd should and will be pro-Waverly, but hopefully we get as strong as a contingent as we did in Reynoldsburg last night.

GO CAVS!!!

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

Is this a Freshman-JV-Varsity tripleheader? If so, what time does the freshman game start? If not, I assume the JV game starts at 6:00. Thanks in advance.

baller3
Riding the Bench

Post by baller3 »

yes this is a triple header with the freshman game starting at 5.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Somebody tell Kellough that Malik doesn't need to embarrass the Waverly reserve team. Save him for the varsity.

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

Malik has only played high school ball for two weeks he needs all the time he can get to get in a rythm for the tournament. I wouldn't wanna be a JV player on any team CHS plays though.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

soccerfix wrote:Somebody tell Kellough that Malik doesn't need to embarrass the Waverly reserve team. Save him for the varsity.

Malik will probably play one quarter of JV on Tuesday. As stated he needs to get all the work he can. He is only a freshman and this is all new to him. Minutes are extremely important.

GO CAVS!!!

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

I hate to say it though,but I will anyway the difference is the athletes Chillicothe has more and better basketball players. After sitting in Renoldsburg Saturday on the edge of my seat of course,I seen a coming of age with the CAVS by grinding it out to win,it won't be close on Tuesday sorry to say!!!

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

I am the one that got on here and said Valley would beat us and I doubt we beat Chillicothe- however, I really think we play really well in this game- look for us to show big improvements. Good luck tigers!

We have to keep the turnovers down!

Crazy Legs
Freshman Team

Post by Crazy Legs »

I am going to go out on a limb and say Waverly by 4 they play the game of their life Chilli is tired and I think might over look this game for the upcoming two vs Zanesville. Waverly has to be physical in order to do this though? Dont' settle for the outside shot..

Waverly 56
Chillicothe 52

:o

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

I would rather see Chilli save their legs than win this one by 20 points. I would be fine with a 10 point win and a quarter and a half of work from the Starters. Maybe 1 quarter from the starters on thursday vs the vill and be ready for Saturday. That is the ONLY thing that matters right now.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Wouldn't it be nice that for once Waverly could get a group of officials that could serve up some "home cooking." Waverly is the only place that the home team gets homered consistently at home.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

If Waverly does upset the CAVS I'll cut my right arm off
Crazy Legs wrote:I am going to go out on a limb and say Waverly by 4 they play the game of their life Chilli is tired and I think might over look this game for the upcoming two vs Zanesville. Waverly has to be physical in order to do this though? Dont' settle for the outside shot..

Waverly 56
Chillicothe 52

:o

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

I hope I'm looking for an one armed man after the game. I'll be there to comfort you.

Ptown Playmaker
Varsity

Post by Ptown Playmaker »

Tired legs or not, the Cavs get the victory.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

As we count down to this game (22 hours and dropping) I am reminded of something Coach Thad Matta said to the team during the private State Championship Ring Cermony last year. He let the kids know that every game they played this season they would have a bulls eye on their back. After reviewing the first 17 games, I do not believe any one team laid down for the Cavs.

I fully expect Waverly to come out with guns blazing. Even though it is not Senior night, it is the last home game of the season. My guess is there will be some emotion and momentum on the side of the Tigers. With that said, it will be key for the Cavs to get off to a good start. I am not sure if Travis will run the 1-3-1 zone, but if we are hitting like we did Saturday night, then I like our chances inside and out.

I know some thing the Cavs may rest some of the kids, but Coach K. never backs down until he has a solid lead. IMO, he has played more combinations over the past 4-5 games including a 3 guard set. With Waverly's size, I doubt we see that, but you never know. It will be interesting to see how the Cavs come out (Full Court, 3/4 or just scrimmage area D). In any event, it will be intense and my guess is Knights will be all over Kretzer. This will probably be the young freshman's toughest matchup of the year (defender on him). This will make Kretzer a better player in the long run.

In summary, anything can happen, but the Cavs will go about this business like and hopefully do what is needed to get out of Pike County with a W. and get ready for Z-ville in two back-to-back marquee games.

GO CAVS!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”