Who's the real Tigers? McClain vs. Waverly in Sectional dual

MoonTang
Waterboy

Who's the real Tigers? McClain vs. Waverly in Sectional dual

Post by MoonTang »

Who's the real Tigers? McClain vs. Waverly in Sectional dual.....what are your thoughts?

MoonTang
Waterboy

Re: Who's the real Tigers? McClain vs. Waverly in Sectional dual

Post by MoonTang »

I give the edge to the 13-7 SOC Waverly Tigers.
Waverly's losses have been to Oak Hill, Valley, Wheelersburg, Piketon and Minford (like to have this one back)....these are ALL elite teams in their own right. Plus Waverly has had huge wins recently over Chillicothe, Vinton County, and Huntington.

No one seems to give the SOC enough credit. McClain has a good record and has earned obvious respect from sectional balotting as a #4 seed.

I've seen McClain play this year....not a powerful scoring team...just a balanced attack from any number of players. Perhaps their best offense is their defense. Up-in-your-face, hand-checking, intense, no-look, forcing-turnover type of defense.

Hopefully Waverly will prepare.....a good shooting night for Waverly could make ALL the difference.

Predictions?????

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

Waverly has the size and athletic advantage but as you said, McClain brings pressure defense. Waverly has faced this allot in preparation. The orange and black Tigers have handled it well in some games and not so well in others.

Waverly has to use their size and athletic ability to their advantage. I was shocked at the lack of use of Robertson and Kelly in the Burg game, especially after what they contributed in the Chilly game. Robertson played a huge role in a great 2nd quarter for the Tigers in that game against the Cavs.

pcohio
Varsity

Post by pcohio »

Where and when is the game?

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

Friday 6 pm at Southeastern High School

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

Waverly will have to play the best game of the season to beat McClain. Van Meter is the only coach in the area that I think is better than Barrick at Wheelersburg- He is worth 10 points himself and like him or not he seems to own the ref's. If I had to have one man lead a team in a big game it would without a doubt be him-he has gotten more out of his players than anyone can imagine. There have been a lot of teams preparing to play them thinking "they are not that good" only to leave thinking "how did they beat us?"

If it is a real low scoring game it will benefit McClain. Anything over 55 points and I see Waverly winning. I would give Waverly the edge in terms of schedule- the SOC was very solid this year and I also think it will help them that they played Chillicothe and Wheelersburg in the last two games and seen some good defense.

Waverly has a big size advantage- but they better take it a posession at a time or they will be watching from the convo rather than playing in it.

Prediction: Waverly 55 McClain 51. Roback has a big night for Waverly. When he has played big in big games we have won- and won them all! I look for McClain to focus on 6'7'' Lundin in the middle, 6'4'' Martin in the paint, and 6'5'' Kretzer on the wing- that leaves Roback room to move.

Good luck to both teams- whoever wins this game will win at least one in the convo!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

McClain is a much better team than they were when they played Portsmouth........and I figured they would be with Coach Van Matre.......one thing that has always been a staple at McClain......DEFENSE.......will once again make its appearance against Waverly. WHS has more firepower than GM, and if they play at the level of the Chillicothe game will be tough to beat.

MariettaPride21
S

Post by MariettaPride21 »

well naturally its marietta idk what you guys are talking about

G&B from huddle
JV Team

Post by G&B from huddle »

McClain has always prided itslef on its defense. But Chillicothe played the same style of up in your jersey, hand-checking type defense and Waverly came back from 7 down in the fourth quarter to win. And Waverly went to Vinton Co. and handed the Vikings second loss at home in three years. If Waverly plays like they did those two nights they will a tough out for anyone.
If Waverly plays like they did against Northwest (2nd time) or Huntington Ross it will be along for the young Waverly kids.
This is will be the fourth time since 2000 these two teams have met in the sectional tournament. This will be a classic. Get to the gym about 3 pm the place will be packed!!!

pdracing23
Riding the Bench

Post by pdracing23 »

I believe for Waverly to win this game they really need to establish Victor and Harrison in the post early in the game. If Waverly can do this i believe van metre will go to the 2-3 match and kretzer will have a field day.

I would be interested in knowing what Coach Robertson's record was against Coach Van Metre as a player at Washington Court House? I know it really doesn't have anything to do with this game just interested.

pmow3
Varsity

Post by pmow3 »

Waverly and Westfall will be very interesting. I listened to Greenfield's coach talking about this matchup. He was saying their team defense against Waverly's size would be key. I think McClain should play up in Waverly's face on defense and use that to their advantage against Waverly's ball handlers. This is a great matchup on Friday.

toast
All State

Post by toast »

I look for a low scoring game, possibly in the 30's or 40's. I believe for Waverly to win they will need their best defensive performance of the season. They can't afford to give up any easy baskets (Greenfield loves to go backdoor) and we must limit them to one shot on their offensive possession. Waverly will need to match Greenfield in defensive intensity to come out on top. Points will be at a premium.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Waverly by 6...

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

I just dont know anymore, you watch waverly play one night and they look like world beaters the next night your at a loss for words, or its even in the same game one quarter they are dominating the next getting dominated.
Good defense well we have seen good defensive teams all yr, so Greenfield shouldnt be anything different other than schemes. Competition, well Waverly has played pretty much all southern ohio has to offer, Oak Hill, Piketon, Chillicothe, Burg, Vinton County, Valley etc. (not saying there arent other good teams out there) some good results some bad, so what do you do flip a coin on this game because you dont know which Waverly team will show up?
If the Good team shows up they are a load and will win this game going away, if the bad team shows up its gonna be quite the battle.
Heres hoping for the Good Team to show up.
Waverly 54- Greenfield 42

bucki4life
Freshman Team

Post by bucki4life »

I don't care which team shows up for Waverly -they will never beat McClain by 12 if they do I will be shocked- like to see it - but one thing to remember for Waverly- if they would beat McClain then when they get to Convo it would be several games in a row that I think they have really seen some great defensive teams- it can't do anything but help them!

Purple Cobras
Waterboy

Post by Purple Cobras »

Look for McClain to throw out several different defensive looks & disguises to confuse the young Waverly guards. Probably will settle in a 1-2-2 zone & chase the ball as if it were man. Offensively, McClain will need to be patient. They'll go right at the big guys from Waverly and shoot more than their share of free-throws. The ability to drive & kick, then spot up for 3 will be crucial as well. I got McClain in this one if they can work to get a 2:1 foul ratio.

crazymidgets
All Conference

Post by crazymidgets »

2-1 ratio at the line I dont see that happening as much as Waverly lives inside the paint, i dont know the stats but I would guess Waverly has owned this stat all yr, Harrison will be at the line all night just like every night, and if Greenfield zones Waverly will own the boards and Kretzer will get serious good looks and he doesnt need much space. As long as Waverly knows their roles they will win this game.
GO TIGERS

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

Can anybody posts Waverly's schedules with results? Maxpreps/Yappi are incomplete and are missing lots of games this year. Thanks in advance.

GoIrish34
Waterboy

Post by GoIrish34 »

OUT COACHED!!!!!

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

^^^
Quality post, since you were obviously at the game to post so quickly.

Return to “Boys Basketball”