SEOAL - All League Team

Hitchbone64
All Conference

SEOAL - All League Team

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Not sure when the SEOAL announces the All-League selections, but I have not seen a thread on it. With the regular season in the league now concluded, I would love to hear some comments on who is deserving after an exciting year for the league in which until the last 7 days or so, nobody was sure who would win the North and South. I will leave Chilly players out of the discussion since I am biased, but here is a few names that I would throw out. Mind you we only saw the North play once, and twice against the South teams. I am basing this on what I saw on the court against the Cavs, hence I am only posting a few names in the North.

South:
Williams (Portsmouth)
Lamb (Ironton)
Newsome (Jackson)
Dobbins (Jackson)
Bendolph (Portsmouth)
Horne (Portsmouth)

North
Pratti (Zanesville) North POY
Angle (Logan)
Hebbs (Warren)

Blu_n_Whyt
Freshman Team

Re: SEOAL - All League Team

Post by Blu_n_Whyt »

hitchbone:

The League has an embargo date for Tuesday AM (2/24) release for the Girls All-SEOAL.

I assume the Boys will be held until Tuesday AM (3/3).

Just from the Chilli vs SEOAL games I saw:

South
Ironton - Green & Lamb
Portsmouth - Bendolph & Williams
Did not see Jackson
Gallia - Maybe next year

North
Zanesville - Pratti (POY) & Gibson
Warren - Hebb
Did not see Logan
Marietta - Maybe next year

tiger_pride92
Waterboy

Post by tiger_pride92 »

Marietta: Tabler, Brockmeier, Eschbaugh. They were the key to Marietta's success and deserve to be recognized for it.

cavalierfan95
Freshman Team

Post by cavalierfan95 »

for chilli it would be greg vanvolkenburg and calieb knights

Late 70s Logan grad
Freshman Team

Post by Late 70s Logan grad »

You are correct... the All-SEOAL boys basketball teams will be announced next Tuesday, March 3. They will be sent to area media later this week and will be embargoed for release that morning (Tuesday newspapers).

While a few (hopefully several!) SEOAL boys teams will still be alive in the tournament, we don't want to get into the situation we had a couple years ago when the all-league teams came out after the all-district team and (if I recall correctly) the AP all-Ohio teams. The order should always be league, district and then state!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

^^^^^^

Agree 100%. Let the kids get honored before the season is done and over. It seems anticlimatic to wait as long as they did in the past.

Not many posters on here, so I am going to add my two cents on the Chilly players. As I see the Season Stats, I am at a bit of an advantage, so I try to be objective and look at it that way. Besides the names I mentioned above, here are the Cavs I see deserving mention (in no particular order). Of particular note, the Cavs end the regular season with four kids averaging in double figures and another (Gregg V.) who has scored in double figures in 3 or 4 or the past 5 games.

GO CAVS!!!! 2008/09 SEOAL LEAGUE CHAMPS!!!

Seth Dawes -

Right at 14 ppg and 7 rebounds per game. Team leader scoring, rebounding, in 3 pt F/G %, total 3 pt goals, FT % and second in FT made.

Caleb Knights -

12 ppg and 4.2 assists per game. Team leader in assist and 3rd in rebounding.

Mike Turner -

10 plus ppg and over 47% F/G percentage. Team leader in steals and second in assists (close to 3 per game)

Ron Smith -

10 plus ppg and close to 50% F/G percentage. Second in rebounding at 7 boards per game.

hoopscoop
Waterboy

Post by hoopscoop »

From Portsmouth Williams-Horne have been consistent all year.

lady_oaks_fan3362
JV Team

Post by lady_oaks_fan3362 »

Don't know the SEOAL much but the Newsom kid from Jackson has been consistant and from the newspaper articles I have read his numbers should put him in the running for POY. Considereing the changes at Jackson IMO her deserves consideration for POY and all League and All distric at least, if I'm Not mistaken, isn't he only a junior? Just hoping a fellow Jackson countian gets his due.
Last edited by lady_oaks_fan3362 on Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I agree with hoopscoop about Anthony Williams and Tory Horne of Portsmouth......they have been the two most consistent Trojans this year.........Williams has scored double figures in every game except 1 and Horne has hit double digits except in 2 games.

Williams is averaging around 19 PPG and 12 RPG, while Horne is averaging around 14 PPG.......I don't have his assist total, but he has a good number in that stat.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

trojandave wrote:I agree with hoopscoop about Anthony Williams and Tory Horne of Portsmouth......they have been the two most consistent Trojans this year.........Williams has scored double figures in every game except 1 and Horne has hit double digits except in 2 games.

Williams is averaging around 19 PPG and 12 RPG, while Horne is averaging around 14 PPG.......I don't have his assist total, but he has a good number in that stat.

trojandave,

Where did Bendolph end up at. With Willams and Horne at 33 PPG combined, I would guess he would come in at 10-12 ppg for a very solid 45 ppg for your big three. You know he is one of my favorites (since I saw him in 8th grade).

GO CAVS!!!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Since we are not getting much play for me to add to my thoughts own, I will go ahead and put in my thoughts on POY in South Division.

Based on past history and other leagues, the POY can go to a player off the league champs. I would put up Seth Dawes from Chilly. I would still have him in my top 2-3 even if we did not win. The kid simply did what Coach K. asked him todo. This year he moved back inside due to the loss of Chambers from last years team and Jordan Benson manning the 3 spot. With Jordan going down and our offense struggling from the outside, Seth went back outside and sacrificed his shooting % aloing with offensive rebounding and some D-boards.

With that said, he still went 14 ppg and 7 plus boards per game. In league play he was higher then that. He also shot well over 40% from the field and close to 80% from free throw line. He made many clutch free throws in some big games and also was very realible with the ball (low turnovers and solid assist numbers). Add in the huge 8 steals he had in the DOC game and he jumped up in the top 2-3 in steals on the team.

IMO, Williams is just as deserving but unfortunately the Trojans did not get it done on the court. Williams is a double/double machine. I am not sure what influence he has as a veteran with some of the younger and older guys, but my POY also has a locker room presence. That is another reason I choose Dawes.

It will be interesting to see who wins in the South. In the North, I would say Pratti hands down, simply because of his play and Z-Villes dominance of the North division this year.

GO CAVS!!!

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

I love to watch a kid that plays defense, with that said, Junior Brandon Fivecoait from Warren deserves to be recognized. He drew the opponents top scorer every game and made their night very frustrating. He wasn't always called upon to score points but could put them up in bunches when given the opportunity.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Cap'n Scoop wrote:I love to watch a kid that plays defense, with that said, Junior Brandon Fivecoait from Warren deserves to be recognized. He drew the opponents top scorer every game and made their night very frustrating. He wasn't always called upon to score points but could put them up in bunches when given the opportunity.

Cap'n Scoop - I will have to give you a thumbs up on Brandon Fivecoait. I thought he played an excellent all around game against Chilly. I can't tell you I remember how many points he scored, but I kept seeing him all over the court.

GO CAVS!!!

Cap'n Scoop
All State

Post by Cap'n Scoop »

Hitchbone, that is just Brandon Ball; you get that from him every game. I'll take that every time over a kid that puts up 20 points but doesn't play any defense.

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Cap'n Scoop wrote:Hitchbone, that is just Brandon Ball; you get that from him every game. I'll take that every time over a kid that puts up 20 points but doesn't play any defense.

He would fit well in on the Cavaliers. You don't play D, you don't see the floor. I like that style of player myself.

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

My Vote goes for Caleb Knights. He is not the most explosive scorer and his stats don't WOW you but he plays great defense and IMO was the unquestioned leader for the Cavs this year. The Cavs were such a balanced team though so we could just say... "South Division POY- Chillicothe Defense" because none of the Cavaliers could have won without the other 4. They are one of the most balanced teams I have seen. No one to really take over a game, but all are dependable and can score when called upon.

Return to “Boys Basketball”