#2 Vinton County vs #7 Gallia Academy

bettis
Varsity

Re: #2 Vinton County vs #7 Gallia Academy

Post by bettis »

Let's go boys how about alittle run and gun. I know that is not GAHS style of ball, I guess I will have to go to Jackson to the girls game to stimuli my brain. Then hopefully on to Logan to see the Blue Devils.

Goodluck boys leave it all on the floor.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Good luck guys, like bettis said, leave it on the floor. I totally agree bettis that this group is much better when forcing the issue. I don't know if the mid-range game is a lost art but Meigs and Jackson both had alot of success in that area, come to think of it so do most basketball teams including everyone GAHS has played this year. With us it seems to be either 20 feet or 2 feet or don't shoot. Dribble drive guys, better spacing, get guys on your hip or better yet playing d from a catch-up position and elevate and shoot or dish for bunnies. Offensive basketball is a simple game. GAHS has a couple guys that can get guys on their hips and elevate quickly for uncontested shots or take it to the rim and finish strong, it shows but only in small spurts when we are in a "have to" situtation. 4ever made reference to #20 from NL throwing himself into defenders and drawing fouls? I saw it as a guy that had defenders out of position and took advantage of that by pulling up to shoot knowing that all we could do was commit fouls or let him shoot. Or simply playing basketball to win rahter than playing not to lose. We could do the same and probably finish those opportunities and turn them into 3 pt plays. We fight too hard to get the perfect 3 pt shot or a highly contested close look in a very congested area of the floor.

On a side note I saw 4 basketball teams last night and one had far superior talent to the other three and much better fundamentals (offense aside) but after the dust cleared nobody could be convinced that the more talented team was actually superior in talent. Don't wait, create!!!!!

GAHS seniors need to take charge and play like it may be your last chance, create opportunities for yourselves and your teammates. Then do what you do on defense and the rest will take care of itself.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Good luck to the Blue Devils and Coach Osborne from this Portsmouth Trojans fan.........

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Good points 4ever and I was certainly there last night. You make my points for me, simply this, create better spacing, utilize screens and even backside defenders to get freed up from the defense and quit passing the ball around in the "trapping zones" and the to's will eliminate themselves. In other words move on offense and make the defensive guys move their feet, help each other get open and most importantly dribble drive then dish or pull up for shots rather than all the perimeter passing that creates self inflicted turnovers and makes an average defense look solid. The ball has air in it for a reason more that keeping it's shape and size. We look for the perfect shot rather than a makeable shot, these kids are much better than their record indicates and as 4ever stated, our league has alot to do with our record. Even the perfect shot is missed 50% of the time or so. Mid-range game is lost, period! Harrison scored most of his points from the mid-range, Tony Moore, Dustin Deckard, Donnie Johnson and then it stopped, cold turkey.

GAHS will play solid d for Oz and be prepared for what the other team is going to try to utilize, that is a given but we can play solid d and still attempt to score the ball. Don't get me wrong about the strengths of our coach b/c he is a master at certain skill sets. O doesn't sacrifice D. No we may not hold every opponent to 8 at the half or 2 at the end of one but our leads may be bigger at those intervals of the game than the 5 pt leads we had. No offense to our opponent last night but that should not have been a ballgame. These kids are capable of more than they are put into position as far as offensive execution.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

At Logan Wednesday evening, GAHS coaches kept shouting all night for Blue Devils to go north and south, not east and west.

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Jottings, do you have any series info on GAHS-VCHS??

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

VC by 10...

JChipwood
All Conference

Post by JChipwood »

Thanks 4ever

Wffan
JV Team

Post by Wffan »

Good luck V.C.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

GO VIKES

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

VC by 13

Johnny Quest
Freshman Team

Post by Johnny Quest »

Gallia by three 41-38.

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

Good luck to the Vikings. Vikings by 10......

theassassin
All State

Post by theassassin »

ga will control the tempo and give themselves a chance to win.

BLUEGRASSVIKE
Varsity

Post by BLUEGRASSVIKE »

If Galia has problems with turnovers, as a few posters pointed out, they will have a LONG night. VC will plays a 9 man rotation and before the end of the 1st quarter all 9 will see action. They will put constant pressure on the ball handler which will result in several easy buckets. I see VC winning this one by at least 15.

Fun in the Sun
Freshman Team

Post by Fun in the Sun »

V.C. by 20 .................

BBallin fool
SEOP

Post by BBallin fool »

GA has no O !!!VC in this one.

Who9Dey
JV Team

Post by Who9Dey »

Good Luck GAHS

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Vikings averaging 58.8 points per game and giving up 49.6 with 17-3 record. VC has scored 1177 points in 20 games and given up 993 while winning the TVC crown.

Blue Devils averaging 44.8 and giving up 48.9 with 7-14 overall mark. GAHS has scored 942 points and given up 1037 in 21 games, finishing 8th in the final SEOAL standings.

If averages hold true, Vikings favored by at least 15 points.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

theassassin wrote:ga will control the tempo and give themselves a chance to win.

GA probably will set the tempo..... for about the first 3 minutes. VC will then begin setting the tempo and will out rebound GA. GA will also see 3 or4 defensive schemes.

Return to “Boys Basketball”