Chillicothe 83 - Northwest 38

Bronc21
All Conference

Chillicothe 83 - Northwest 38

Post by Bronc21 »

cavs started out slow, but the press killed the mohawks. cavs took 68 shots to NW 31.....northwest just couldnt get it past half court. you could tell the cavs had their legs back, and were flying all over the place.....chilli's 2 starting guards combined for almost 40 pts. and by the sound of the post game, the kids are chompin at the bits to get warren, and get them big time. also, southeastern does a great job of hosting tournaments.

sig
Waterboy

Re: Chillicothe 83 - Northwest 38

Post by sig »

How deep into the game did Chillicothe press?

Dshanton3
JV Team

Post by Dshanton3 »

middle of the third quarter

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

sig wrote:How deep into the game did Chillicothe press?

Please add before people jump all over this (like every year at this time), the Cavs played 10 deep through those 1st 3 quarters. I will say, Coach K. is pretty good about clearing the bench and not running up scores in the regular season. However, in Post Season you want these kids to not lose any energy. He will keep the defensive pressure on the opponent whether it is scrimmage area, 1/2 court, 3/4 or full. The kids played with tremendous intensity on the defensive side tonight. As Bronc21 says, the kids had there legs back.

GO CAVS!!!

sig
Waterboy

Post by sig »

So in order for the kids "to not lose any energy" you have to continue to press deep into the game?

That's got to be one of the most bizarre statements I've ever read on this site.

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

oh please.....so chilli should stop their style of play to please a few of you? defense is what got chilli a state championship, and their not gonna quit playing it....they pressed full court for 2 1/2 qtrs. geesh

sig
Waterboy

Post by sig »

Oh 2 1/2 quarters is not a big deal.

But I am amazed at some of the silly reasons people give trying to justify pressing late in games when they have big leads. Good luck to the Cavs.

CHS Fan
Waterboy

Post by CHS Fan »

Congrats to the Cavs for another sectional win. Nice to see all of the young boys get some playing time. I'd like to see #20 get some more floor time in games like these. He is a senior who has worked very hard to be a part of this team. He played hard tonight and did a great job while in the game. No reason he should have to come off the bench so far down the line. Hopefully, we'll get to see more soon!

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

Nice win for the Cavs. One thing Coach K. has done since he has arrived at Chilly is get the teams ready for the Post Season. This is an experienced club and they had their legs back tonight. The game was over once we got our defense set.

First for Northwest, Hank Leslie is a special player. He does not get the recognition he deserves, because he does not have a whole lot of help. Their kids do play hard, but our backcourt just destroyed their backcourt. In the 3rd quarter, I believe Leslie scored all of Northwest's point. He had 20 plus of the 30 plus they scored.

For the Cavs, the trio of Dawes, Knights and Turner lead the offensive onslaught. Dawes hit two huge threes in the first half that told me his legs were back. Turner and Knights shot layup after layup and both hit some nice range jumpers. I believe the 3 of them combined for close to 50 points in probably 3 quarters of play each.

Defensively, our kids all played excellent. Even though Leslie got 20 plus he had to work for everything. His skill in the post allowed him to score even when guarded closely. Gregg V. played outstanding D once again. Ron Smith was all over the floor and on the boards. The guards again just took NW out of their game with the pressure. NW had over 30 turnovers to Chilly's 6 or 7.

The bench also had a nice game. It was good to see the young soph Brandon Beverly get in the game in the 2nd qtr. I believe that is the earliest he has saw action all year. The young Freshman Malik London looked good in the second half as he dominated the boards and hit some nice shots. He missed a few early (probably nerves) but is coming along well. Thomspon, Landon Beverly, James VanVooris and all the others all contributed nicely.

It was a great way to start tourney play. I am only looking at Warren. Technically we are the higher seed, but they beat us just a month ago. The Cavs have that look in their eye and we love the Convo. However, Warren is no stranger there either. I look for a serious battle on Thursday. However, if we play D like we did tonight, I like our chances. Over the past 2 years, we are a combined 7-1 in Athens. I am not sure there are two many other teams (maybe the Burg) that have had a stretch like that.

GO CAVS!!!

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Congrats Cavs.......

Bronc21
All Conference

Post by Bronc21 »

good luck to your tigers........go seoal!

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

I didn't miss my prediction by much.I think I had it 73-42.Oh well...A blowout is a blowout right..?? It was a forgone conclusion either way....lol :lol: Good Luck the rest of the way...
Last edited by Black Panther on Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

bitbucket
Freshman Team

Post by bitbucket »

bitbucket
Freshman Team

Post by bitbucket »

#24 is a kid that alot of youngsters can look up to. Such talent. If he gets a touch of the ball there's a good chance that he will score. Enjoyed watching hm play.

bitbucket
Freshman Team

Post by bitbucket »

gymratt
Freshman Team

Post by gymratt »

Despite the score I didn't think the Cavs played their best game last night. They didn't play bad but you could tell at the beginning of the game that the intensity wasn't as high as it could be. They did a great job on defense and when they weren't on the run, did well in setting up in the half court. Overall it was about what I expected. Northwest was worse then I thought but that happens early in the tourney. Cavs need to crank up the intensity and keep this run goin. Let's go Cavs. Beat Warren.

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

Northwest does not to be in D2...I mean defending state champs--decent soc 2 team, what did we think would happen....I know it's the size of the school, (we went over by a whopping 2 boys last year) but as long as NW is in D2 this will continue to happen

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Post by Hitchbone64 »

all-time athlete wrote:Northwest does not to be in D2...I mean defending state champs--decent soc 2 team, what did we think would happen....I know it's the size of the school, (we went over by a whopping 2 boys last year) but as long as NW is in D2 this will continue to happen

all-time athlete,

Give Northwest some credit. They know they are D2 and what they were up against. I thought they played very hard yesterday. They just ran into a buzzsaw. Had the Cavs hit more of their shots in the 1st half, they would have probably reached 100 yesterday. I have saw some teams just flat out not play in games like that. The Northwest kids competed from the beginning to end. In the end I think the Cavs defensive pressure was just way to much.

GO CAVS!!!

Black Panther
SEO

Post by Black Panther »

D2,D3,It dosen't matter..NW would have had their head handed to them by somebody.excuses...excuses...

all-time athlete
JV Team

Post by all-time athlete »

Black Panther wrote:D2,D3,It dosen't matter..NW would have had their head handed to them by somebody.excuses...excuses...

Geez bro you must have got beat up a lot when you went to northwest...because you never miss a chance to bag on them!

Return to “Boys Basketball”