2009-2010 Clay basketball

claypantherfan
All State

2009-2010 Clay basketball

Post by claypantherfan »

What do you think about what they have coming back next year?

Bricklayer
Riding the Bench

Re: 2009-2010 Clay basketball

Post by Bricklayer »

I can't really make any predictions. But its going to be an interesting summer. March 30. is the first open gym.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

We will though will have to wait and see who stays and who goes this year

hempimp14
Freshman Team

Post by hempimp14 »

i think if the coach can get everybody in the gym during the summer clay will do very good next year because they will have a few starters and alot of the kids who played alot were only sophomores
i see clay to do very well next season as long as those kids dont move school
i heard a few of the sophomores want to move schools because of certain reasons

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

hempimp14 wrote:i think if the coach can get everybody in the gym during the summer clay will do very good next year because they will have a few starters and alot of the kids who played alot were only sophomores

If they change schools but don't move into the new school district they have to set out a year, so why change.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

People going in the summer can make a big difference on a team getting better

hempimp14
Freshman Team

Post by hempimp14 »

i kno it doesnt make sense to do it
but some say they wanna play somewhere else and some say they wont play if trainer is still the coach next year

Smart Guy
Waterboy

Post by Smart Guy »

hempimp14 wrote:i kno it doesnt make sense to do it
but some say they wanna play somewhere else and some say they wont play if trainer is still the coach next year

Some of you people at Clay kill me. You have one of the best coaches in the area and you don't even know it. You've done it your way and it hasn't gotten you anywhere. Why don't you just shut up and play. Quit crying. Let the coach, coach. You will never find a finer person/coach then Jack Trainer. If I had a son, I would be proud to have Jack coach him. Great things come at after great prices have been paid. What price have you paid? Shut up and do the work.

Jake Lane
JV Team

Post by Jake Lane »

Smart Guy wrote:

Some of you people at Clay kill me. You have one of the best coaches in the area and you don't even know it. You've done it your way and it hasn't gotten you anywhere. Why don't you just shut up and play. Quit crying. Let the coach, coach. You will never find a finer person/coach then Jack Trainer. If I had a son, I would be proud to have Jack coach him. Great things come at after great prices have been paid. What price have you paid? Shut up and do the work.

AMEN, Smart Guy! I think that Clay has a great future with the upper class of the next two years. The last two were suspect in their off court more than on antics, but at a small school you got what you got to work with. I for one am a big follower of the Jr. high, and can see a "farm club" building at Clay. If people will support, and not bash the program when it's down, Clay will definitely reap the benefits soon.

callingtheshots
Waterboy

Post by callingtheshots »

Burg_Grad_77 wrote:
hempimp14 wrote:i think if the coach can get everybody in the gym during the summer clay will do very good next year because they will have a few starters and alot of the kids who played alot were only sophomores

If they change schools but don't move into the new school district they have to set out a year, so why change.

I heard your nephew was one of them that was going to go to a different school, (portsmouth)

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

If people would quit trashing the coach and support the program and allow the players to gel and stay committed to the program, Clay will be fine the next couple of years.

If not, they will implode and underachieve. Folks have no idea what damage their mouth and keyboard can do to a team!

FaberGrad62
JV Team

Post by FaberGrad62 »

Smart Guy wrote:

I don't think anyone has ever questioned that Coach Trainer is a great man, but as far as coaching, I'm still not sold on him being a HS coach. Some of his substitution patterns was just plain bad, taking players out who were hot or taking out his size (like he did against Paint Valley and there big man killed them during that stretch), leaving players on the floor, even though they had just stolen the ball at midcourt and then stops and pops a three pointer (IMO, the kid should have sat the rest of the game, but he didn't, he played more and kept right on chucking up three's and kept right on missing). His oofense two years ago was on e of the worst I've ever seen run in HS. He had a decent big man in Keaton and they had decent ballhandlers, yet he wanted 5-7 passes before they eve took a shot. It was no wonder that they led the league in turnovers per game. That was asking players to do something that they were't used to doing and they went what, 1-19?

I've been watching HS b-ball for well over 30 years and I've never seen a team not come out to warmup after halftime and in the games I saw, it hurt Clay as they came out cold in the 3rd and either lost a lead or made a deficit larger. I don't understand the theory behind that. What more could he possibly tell the boys in the lockerrom that is going to make them come out and play better in the 2nd half? I don't care how old you are, you need to be able to come out and loosen up. It's a common fact that muscles will tighten up after doing any kind of activity.

Clay will have a team that should be able to play next year, some quick guards and also have a decent inside game. Graham needed to play more this year on the varsity and I think he will be a force underneath next year. Lawson needs to work on his upper body strength over the summer. If he does, he showed some flashes of being able to play some good ball under the basket. Granted, they need to get out this summer and work on their game, but that shouldn't be a problem as they don't have football at Clay, so they don't have to worry about players not being able to concentrate on basketball. Some play soccer and those that don't should run cross country, if Clay has a team. Clay should have the horses next year to be able to run n gun. If they don't, it will be a travesty. Burchett, Bussler and Valentine all three handle the ball well and should be able to get it up the court with no problems. Graham and Lawson both move good for big men.

Like someone had said before, it all starts with open gyms and just getting out and playing basketball whenever you can. I know there are some pretty nice players down at the life center and there are also some nice players that play at the park by tan lan pool in the Burg. Those five ought to get together and travel around and play as much together that they can. The more you can play together as a team, the more you'll play together AS A TEAM. There is no "I" in team and all it takes is one player to forget that and it could cost you a game here or there.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

callingtheshots wrote:
Burg_Grad_77 wrote:

I heard your nephew was one of them that was going to go to a different school, (portsmouth)

I heard this too and unless my brother moves to Portsmouth he would have to set out his junior year and that just doesn't make sense. I'm sure he'll more then likely stay right where he is.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Smart Guy wrote:

I'm going to call you out on this. I have seen Clay a few times in the past two years and he hasn't impressed me as a coach yet. I have watched basketball at every level for well over 40 years and he just doesn't cut it as a high school coach in my mind.

So, here's my question to you. Since you seem to want to blow smoke up the mans rearend list for me just what you see from him that makes him such a great coach. I know what I have seen and what others have seen and posted, so let's get your take on things. Just exactly what has he done in the past two seasons, where he won only 7 or 8 games mind you, that classifies him as, and I quote, "one of the best coaches in the area".

Enlighten us please.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

More they play together the better they will be during the season when it starts back up b/c they will know each others tendancys better

rosemount rebel
Freshman Team

Post by rosemount rebel »

blzbub, you can't compare trainer to barrick he has about 100 more boys to choose from plus kids move to the burg to play. so you can take barrick to clay and still win 7-9 games this year. and i know all the boys . the ones who don't want to play for trainer would not play for barrick either it's not in thier blood,the don't want it that bad. like i said i know these boys and hard work is something they don't like or don't have to do because you go out for the team and your on it . i'm not picking on the boys. i support them win or lose but some of them will not work hard at it in the off season like the burg kids do. i know i played there. i see it with my own eyes. i try to help the clay kids too. but the soph class is the best class that we have coming in years.how many high school coaches do you see work with the 3rd 4th 5th and 6th grade kids? coach trainer does.
would coach barrick put up with kids missing practice or getting suspended for games all season long. no he wouldn't those boys would be kick off the team. but if trainer kick them off the team he wouldn't have a team to play with.and yes he tried to
coach them but they don't listen. :twisted:

Smart Guy
Waterboy

Post by Smart Guy »

I stand by everything I've said. You people are making my points for me. I will never get into a battle of wits with unarmed people. ;-)

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

Smart Guy wrote:I stand by everything I've said. You people are making my points for me. I will never get into a battle of wits with unarmed people. ;-)

That's all you've got????

That is weak buddy. Evidently you are nothnig but a blowhard who can't back up his statements. You say he is one of the best coaches in the county, but yet you can't back in up with any examples as to why he is great. I have seen pee wee and grade school coaches who do a better job of making halftime adjustments and game time decisions than Trainer does.

Return to “Boys Basketball”