Portsmouth Daily Times...Commits Another Foul

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Portsmouth Daily Times...Commits Another Foul

Post by socsportsfan1 »

I waited nearly a week to post this. How does any credible source of sports information fail to cover a sectional final game that will likely produce the county's only boys representative at the Convo. The PDT covered nearly all of the sectional semi-final and final games for the county teams and even covered Western's sectional final game, yet didn't send someone to cover the New Boston v. East game last Monday.

By last Monday only three boys teams in the county were still alive; New Boston, East, and S. Webster. S. Webster played the following night against the favored Manchester and eventually lost. PDT covered the game. That Monday night, in a game that guaranteed that Scioto County would have at least 1 sectional winner and Convo rep. this year the PDT does.......nothing. What did they cover that night? That same night Minford's girls won their District semi-final game and guess what...no PDT.

I guess it's okay though, they were with Portsmouth's boys and New Boston's girls every step of the way though (Both certainly worthy of attention, but so are others). East is the last boys team left in the county and plays in a District semi-final on Tuesday at 8. What are the chances the PDT would cover the game? I guess since Western plays the 6 p.m. game that it is possible (since they will certainly cover the Western game).

PDT Sports - Ridiculous.

Tartanblue
SEO

Re: Portsmouth Daily Times...Commits Another Foul

Post by Tartanblue »

they covered the game, but it was only a paragraph basically....instead of give the Minford girls a nice article and the East-New Boston game a nice article they dropped the ball and just put two articles into one which both were very small.

Burg_Grad_77
SEOPS HO

Post by Burg_Grad_77 »

They did the same thing with Wheelersburgs win over Rock Hill in the sectinal semis. There was never anything in the paper about the game. I know they probably didn't have anyone at the game to cover it, but I'm sure one of the coaches from the Burg called it in and PDT just never ran the story.

On a side note, did anyone notice that they just ran the stroy about Portsmouths FOOTBALL Homecoming Court in last weeks paper along the story about the basketball Homecoming Court. I guess better late than never, so maybe we'll see the Burgs win over Rock Hill sometime this spring during baseball season.

favabeans
Varsity

Post by favabeans »

I know the PDT sometimes does not have the best coverage but I really think they are trying to do their best. They can not have someone cover every game. I am just glad things are better than they were for fall sports. Somebody is always going to be mad because their team did not get coverage. It's a thankless job but at least they are out there trying to get stories written about some team. We should be glad that we at least have a paper that comes out everyday and don't have to wait for 3 or 4 days as some counties do.

As for the homecoming article, maybe it wasn't turned in from the school util now. I don't know if that is the case but it could have been what happened.

Tartanblue
SEO

Post by Tartanblue »

digger wrote:I know the PDT sometimes does not have the best coverage but I really think they are trying to do their best. They can not have someone cover every game. I am just glad things are better than they were for fall sports. Somebody is always going to be mad because their team did not get coverage. It's a thankless job but at least they are out there trying to get stories written about some team. We should be glad that we at least have a paper that comes out everyday and don't have to wait for 3 or 4 days as some counties do.

As for the homecoming article, maybe it wasn't turned in from the school util now. I don't know if that is the case but it could have been what happened.

Can't have someone at every game.....East was the only local boys team playing that night against another local team in New Boston and they can't make it to Valley, but the next night they can for Western at Valley is a bunch of BS. The Daily Times is terrible and thats why I dont get it.

kahn
Freshman Team

Post by kahn »

kahn wrote:Sorry if there was any confusion about Monday night games. The switch to this early deadline started a month ago. Every Monday we have run at least one ad or info box explaining the change.

Our website will have all the games that were called in published at 11 a.m. and the scores and writeups will run in Wednesday's edition just as we've been doing for a month now.

Again, sorry if there was any confusion.

John Stegeman
PDT Sports Editor

This has been the situation for nearly two months now.

Coach93
Freshman Team

Post by Coach93 »

The Portsmouth Daily times is horrible when it comes to covering sports in scioto county sorry it's true .They have droped the ball on basketball this year there coverage was bad and don't even get me started on soccer. So the next time the Times wants to raise the subscription price for home devliver and folks say no !!!!!!!!! Think back to the coverage of the sports :122246 :122246 :122246

alabama mike
SE

Post by alabama mike »

We DO NOT need featured stories on Waverly, Eastern or Western in the PDT unless they are playing one of the teams FROM Scotio county.

socsportsfan1
Freshman Team

Post by socsportsfan1 »

kahn,

How does that change the fact that there were no reporters to cover the East/N.B. game? A game that produced the the only boys sectional winner for the entire county. If the coaches hadn't called the game in then there would have been no mention at all. What other sports stories were covered that night.

I understand that all the games cannot be covered, but what other sectional games involving local teams were not covered by a PDT sports reporter? Why was Western-Paint Valley covered or Waverly-McClain and not the previously mentioned game. Also, there does seem to be some bias in choosing which teams are covered, whether anyone will admit it or not.

You would have thought that there would be special lead-up coverage for the SW-NB girls game or for the upcoming East-Southern game... or not. I guess there is a big game involving a team from Pike or Adams county that needs covered or perhaps more featured articles on coaches resigning (one who has coached at the school for all of four years and the other for a whopping two).

jumpman
Freshman Team

Post by jumpman »

alabama mike wrote:We DO NOT need featured stories on Waverly, Eastern or Western in the PDT unless they are playing one of the teams FROM Scotio county.

I agree the game should have been covered, but not with this statement. First, why only the Pike Co. schools? Why not Oak Hill and Symmes Valley? Second, you may not consider them Portsmouth area schools (although many do) but they play in a Portsmouth area league, AND buy a Portsmouth area paper. If they want to sell papers in these areas they have to cover them. And these programs have had some success as of late (Eastern and Western have combined for at least 3, maybe 4 boys bball titles in the last five years, Eastern volleyball, Waverly football, Oak Hill basketball).

sportsfan_1959
JV Team

Post by sportsfan_1959 »

They were at the Valley -vs- West Union game after the Portsmouth -vs- Minford game at Waverly. These games were on a Monday night, which according to them -they have an early deadline. Granted, but on Wednesday there was a story on the Trojan victory and never was a story on Valley's win over West Union. In Tuesday's paper, it stated that a story that did not make it to print would be on their website. You guessed it - never was or never has been.

fbbacker
Riding the Bench

Post by fbbacker »

I agree alabama mike. No coverage of Pike County or even Lawrence County schools until they can cover ALL of the Scioto County schools. How often do you see a New Boston-East basketball story (for example) on the front page of the sports section in the PDT? I know it has to be hard to cover all games that happen on Friday and Saturday evenings, but kids from all of our Scioto County schools deserve coverage no matter what their team records are or WHERE they are located in the county. IMO.

The Gloaming
Freshman Team

Post by The Gloaming »

I've seen a few of these threads about this newspaper and how much you guys hate it....why not just pick up a different paper if it makes you this mad?

Return to “Boys Basketball”