What ever happened to the good old day's

Coach93
Freshman Team

What ever happened to the good old day's

Post by Coach93 »

With all the coaching changes comeing up in this off season my question to the panel is what ever happened to the good old day's when coaches stayed for more then 1 to 2 years . I mean back in the good old day's Coaches stayed 15 to 20 years at one school building there programs and a since of pride in the community .But now day's if a coach does not bow down to the parents and do as they say they can't coach . How i long for the good old day's . I hope there are more on here that agree with me. :12224 :12224

frank-n-beans
Varsity

Re: What ever happened to the good old day's

Post by frank-n-beans »

I'm with you dude. But, a lot of times a coach blames parents when it is obvious they weren't up to the task to begin with. That's just an easy out for them and everybody seems to believe them. I don't buy it every time and neither should you.

thecinderellapick
Freshman Team

Post by thecinderellapick »

The difference must be that "back in the day" men were men and boys were boys! Lol! I don't think coaches used to be so thin-skinned. I mean, why not just go out and do the job you were hired to do and do it to the best of your ability? If you're lucky, half the people will love you and if you're unlucky, half will hate you. Just do the job you were hired to do. And do it well and whole-heartedly. It seems like the parents are always getting the bad rap on here. But you know, at the risk of sounding like a moron, if it wasn't for parents you wouldn't even have a team. They are the ones supplying you with athletes. They do the running. They supply a lot of $$$. They buy their ticket at the door the same as everyone else. And a lot of the time they pay money to watch their kid sit at the end of a bench until maybe the last three seconds of the game. IF they're lucky enough to see them play 3 seconds. So you know, maybe they get kinda frustrated too. I don't know, it just kinda seems like it's a no-win situation for everyone sometimes...All the adults just need to remember. It's a game. It's not about the coach. It's not about the parents. It's about the kids. But I agree with you guys. I'd like to be able to see the sense of pride like it was back in the old days. That is sadly lacking for the most part these days.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

Coach93 wrote:With all the coaching changes comeing up in this off season my question to the panel is what ever happened to the good old day's when coaches stayed for more then 1 to 2 years . I mean back in the good old day's Coaches stayed 15 to 20 years at one school building there programs and a since of pride in the community .But now day's if a coach does not bow down to the parents and do as they say they can't coach . How i long for the good old day's . I hope there are more on here that agree with me. :12224 :12224

"GOOD"? old days? Do you mean back when there weren't any girls' teams or tournaments at all, and all significant support and funding from the school system were only for the boys' teams? Back when "in the good old days", "coaches" were supposed to be first of all teachers and had to do that job first? - Trust me - that situation never actually happened or existed!!! So much for longing for "Good Old Days"!

BuckeyeFan66
Riding the Bench

Post by BuckeyeFan66 »

It all started with the "everyones a winner, we all get trophies regardless of how bad our team did mindset. Little Jimmy can't finish last, it will hurt his feelings. Now little Jimmy is a Dad, and Jimmy and his wife are helicopter parents hovering over every move Jimmy Jr makes.

In my day if a parent called the coach little Jimmy would get benched, now there are coaches who will actually talk to a parent about playing time. Coaches need to grow a pair and parents need to butt out.

Steven A.
Waterboy

Post by Steven A. »

BuckeyeFan66 wrote:It all started with the "everyones a winner, we all get trophies regardless of how bad our team did mindset. Little Jimmy can't finish last, it will hurt his feelings. Now little Jimmy is a Dad, and Jimmy and his wife are helicopter parents hovering over every move Jimmy Jr makes.

In my day if a parent called the coach little Jimmy would get benched, now there are coaches who will actually talk to a parent about playing time. Coaches need to grow a pair and parents need to butt out.

I agree that to many parents think there kid is better than they actually are. I am a sports parent and parents just don't know there place. Your job is to support your kid not coach the team. Do I agree with everything that a coach does with my kids? No!! But he is there working with them to help them get better. At least I hope so. If you want to coach your kid do it in the off season or go get your teaching license. I work with my kids, but I try not to contradict anything the coach has showed them. I do believe every kid deserves an opportunity, but it doesn't give parents a free pass to complain if other kids take it more serious and are better athletes than their kid.

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

The good old day's probably weren't as good as we like to remember them being. I don't care what year it is, there is always some nonsense happening.

tropical breeze
Riding the Bench

Post by tropical breeze »

O.K., I'm going to be a wise guy here (just to clarify the sarcasim)!
Yea, the good old days got old! I like todays High school sports, where loyality to your school, friends and community always comes first. 1 year contracts never happen, and the school board always hires a coach who's got the school and kids interest at heart (and the school board actually supports the coach "they" hire). I like the fact that todays parents disciplines their kids and respects the coaches decisions. I like the fact that coaches develope their programs instead of assembling them! I like the fact in todays high school sports, no team really blames the Referee's when they lose, and although disappointed in defeat, they show the upmost sportsmanship. I like today's communication avenue's better than the old days. In the old days, you really didn't know how people felt about "how" you were doing your job. Not as many editorials in the papers, no internet (wow, I would've hated that), Parents really never said much to you, no AAU ball in the summer and NO CELL PHONES! YEP, I sure am glad the old days are over!!!!

Champs2006
Waterboy

Post by Champs2006 »

It is amazing the sense of entitlement that many of the kids have these days. They feel as if they are "owed" a spot on a team. That, coupled with the fact that the kids get this attitude from the parents, I think is the biggest reason that coaches leave. Usually the administration, if they aren't parents of current players, hear it as much as the coach does.

Like it or not, basketball, like many other sports, is a 365 day a year commitment, if you want a winning, successful program. Most coaches today just get burned out faster than in the past due to the amount of time and effort it takes to be successful. When you compare the paycheck that they receive to the amount of time spent away from home and the family and THEN factor in the parental issues, lack of desire and commitment from the players, and the pressure to win, pressure from administration, success of other programs, etc....something has to give.

tropical breeze
Riding the Bench

Post by tropical breeze »

Great post, Champs!!!

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

BuckeyeFan66 wrote:It all started with the "everyones a winner, we all get trophies regardless of how bad our team did mindset. Little Jimmy can't finish last, it will hurt his feelings. Now little Jimmy is a Dad, and Jimmy and his wife are helicopter parents hovering over every move Jimmy Jr makes.

Totally agree! Life is competitive to a large extent. I think it all started with that darn "Barney the dinosaur". LOL

SENDEM
All Conference

Post by SENDEM »

I liked the GOOD OL DAYS! Where each kid won their spot on the team in practice. The name games shouldnt happen but it does or the coach hears it from the parents. I know this for a fact that some of the kids that play these day wouldnt make it thru 1 practice with Jack Williams as a Basketball Coach or Mike Smith as a football Coach. If u didnt give them respect then u didnt get respect. An most on the Moms an Dads would have took their kid home. Most of the summer work outs when i was in Jr High an High School was in the " HAY FIELD " or in the "BARN " working.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

I love hearing about the old crackerbox gyms and county tournaments. I talk about them for a long time in the documentary.

Return to “Boys Basketball”