Portsmouth Trojans' Coach Eugene Collins

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Portsmouth Trojans' Coach Eugene Collins

Post by trojandave »

As of today, Eugene Collins becomes the 21st person to coach the Portsmouth Trojans since 1916......PHS has named a coach 22 times, but Peg Ellcesser filled the spot twice from 1941-43 and again in 1946.

All those coaches combined since 1916 have compiled a record of 1,271-704, for a winning pct. of around 60%.

Coach Collins is supposed to meet with returning players today and shortly thereafter open gyms will begin.......if I can find out any info on summer shootouts I will post them.......

Congratulations Coach Collins on becoming the new coach of the basketball Trojans.........
Last edited by trojandave on Tue May 19, 2009 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Portsmouth Trojans' Coach Eugene Collins

Post by trojandave »

How the 2009-2010 season shapes up with Coach Collins:

I look for 7 players to form the nucleus of the team, and my projected starting 5 looks like this:

Forrest Johnson 6-0 senior
Patrick Underwood 6-1 senior
London Malone 5-9 senior
Tre Underwood 6-3 junior
Dion McKinley 6-5 sophomore

Two other players figure prominently and could start depending on circumstances: Adam Bray, a 6-3 junior, and Isaiah Reeves, a 5-10 senior.

Look for a number of sophomores to occupy possibly as many as 3-4 varsity slots.......after the first seven I mentioned, it will be very competitive to see who fills out the roster.

The 7 kids above present Coach Collins with a fair amount of athleticism, but are very short on varsity experience, with the exception of Johnson. Defensively, they could be very good and most likely will have to carry the team at least to the middle part of the year. Offensively, Forrest Johnson will be the bellweather, but hopefully he will have enough scoring around him so that teams won't put all their focus on him.

Two other points for the 2009-2010 season is that the SEOAL will begin a double round robin schedule for the first time, and Coach Collins' biggest challenge I think is to change the mindset at Portsmouth in which too many teams play harder than the Trojans. I think Eugene has his share of challenges ahead of him........but I have all the confidence in the world that he can meet those challenges given time......next year, though, may be a struggle and hopefully Trojan fans can understand this.......but I am very excited to have Eugene at the helm of the Men of Troy!!!

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

A short bio on Coach Collins:

He was a 1983 graduate of Portsmouth High School, starting for the Trojans in 82 and 83......both of those years saw the Trojans go 20-4 and reach the regionals, only to lose both times in the semifinals. Martins Ferry beat PHS 61-56 in 1982, while Wellsville ousted the Trojans 65-59 with a huge edge at the free throw line......PHS was outshot 41-6 at the stripe in a game that I still think today was not honestly officiated.

Eugene's most memorable play in my recollection happened at PHS in 1983. Portsmouth was trailing Columbus East 60-59 with just 5 seconds to play and had to go the length of the court to score. The Trojans got the ball to half court with 2 seconds left, then Coach Tom Smith called timeout to set up the winning play. PHS inbounded the ball to Collins, who was positioned on the left baseline.......without hesitation, he caught the pass and heaved up a 15 foot jumper........SWISH!! Portsmouth won 61-60 in a game I will never forget.

Most of Coach Collins' career has been spent at the collegiate level as an assistant at Shawnee State......most of those years were with Jim Arnzen......last year was his first year as varsity assistant at Portsmouth High School under Coach Josh Shoemaker.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed May 20, 2009 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

Coach Collins had his first open gym last night, and about 20 kids showed up which was very good considering there was short notice about it.......quite a few of the sophomores-to-be came, which was very encouraging.......I really do believe that at least 3-4 of them will be seeing good minutes on the varsity.........

Casey Sanders was there last night, and he told me that he is playing next year......he will be a welcome addition to the team.......he's 6-3 and about 250 lbs......and could be a real force on the boards. He played his freshmen year but sat out last season........he is a starting offensive lineman for the football team.

Coach Collins told me that Portsmouth will be playing in the Shawnee State shootout in late June, and he did get a call from Chesapeake to play in their shootout. When I find out the full shootout schedule, I will try to post it.

falconater
Freshman Team

Post by falconater »

will bendolph be back

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

I recall Gene from my baseball days , lefty pitcher I believe ?

Dr Lou
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr Lou »

falconater wrote:will bendolph be back

Bendolph is enrolled and attending Wheelersburg.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

ManitouDan: Yes, he was a lefty.......and a very good baseball player for the Trojans as well........

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

I played a lot of baseball with Gene Collins.
He was a good baseball player.
Also, played Basketball against him in HS.
Good Luck to him.
Good man and he will do PHS proud.

WitnessProtection
All Conference

Post by WitnessProtection »

Gene Collins is a quality guy.
I wish him the best!

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

Bendolph wouldnt last 2 weeeks, with Collins as HEAD coach!

fbnut
SEOP

Post by fbnut »

And he can with barrick?
sportsfan43 wrote:

TrojanBuff
JV Team

Post by TrojanBuff »

fbnut wrote:And he can with barrick?
sportsfan43 wrote:

Can you add? Has he been at Burg longer than 2 weeks? :122249

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

fbnut wrote:And he can with barrick?
sportsfan43 wrote:

did I say he COULD :?:

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Bendolph wouldnt last 2 weeeks, with Collins as HEAD coach![/quote]

Wow Collins must be very tough! Cuz Barrick is as demanding as they come. Bendolph will be fine in Burg.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

nooknook78 brings up a good point about London Malone........I think he will end up being a pleasant surprise for the Trojans.......he's been playing quite a bit this spring, and when I watched him he looked good........With him and Forrest Johnson manning Portsmouth's backcourt, Coach Collins has a nice twosome to work with........

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

The 2009-2010 season will mark the beginning of a new decade for Portsmouth basketball.........hopefully these 10 years can get the Trojans back on the winning side of the ledger........the decade of the 2000's was the first losing decade in PHS history........Portsmouth compiled a 100-121 record, and only 1 Trojan team won the district......the 2001 team beat Warren 65-54 for the D2 district title......the Trojans went on to lose to Cambridge 44-33 in the regional semifinal that year.

The 1 district title for the decade was the fewest ever for Portsmouth in a 10 year period........the 70's and 40's had only 2 district title teams, but the 1978 team won the state title. Portsmouth has won 6 district titles since its last state championship in 1988.......those were in 1989, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1999, and 2001.
Last edited by trojandave on Thu May 21, 2009 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

Out of Bounds wrote:Bendolph wouldnt last 2 weeeks, with Collins as HEAD coach!

Wow Collins must be very tough! Cuz Barrick is as demanding as they come. Bendolph will be fine in Burg.[/quote]

and AGAIN...did I say barick wasnt tough???????????????

if you want me to come out and say it..... I will........I dont think he wil last two weeks with barrick, when its 'go time ' either :!:

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

Very happy to have Eugene at the helm. Great guy and a great fit. I like the youth we have coming back and I think the surprise player on this team will be Isiah Reeves. Great defensive player and very athletic. Could be a great compliment at guard coming off the bench.

Return to “Boys Basketball”