Who is the best shooter ever played for your High School?

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Who is the best shooter ever played for your High School?

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

I think the best Shooter at South Gallia would have to be David Bayless from 05 and he can still light it up. The records that I know he holds for shooting at SG are the free throw % record on the season that was like 88% not sure on that one but I do know the 3 point record that he holds in 9 in one game. Im sure Jack can clarify his free throw % record when he looks.

Futurebkstar
All State

Re: Who is the best shooter ever played for your High School?

Post by Futurebkstar »

Jason Merrick owns the most 3-point field goals record in South Gallia history. Bayless owns the single game record and the single season record in 3-point field goals.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

There was a guy that played at that school before it was changed to South Gallia that had 12 3-point field goals in a game. Also he hit 90 for that season.....That guy is a nice lookin man too....This is still in the state records books against Reedsville Eastern. I'm not bragging on the shooting just the looks!!!!

flash
JV Team

Post by flash »

Rick Scarberry played at Green 1977-1981 was a great shooter
no three point line back then most of his shots would have
been three pointers. he also played at Ohio U 1981 - 1985.

Interested In All
Riding the Bench

Post by Interested In All »

From Ironton I would have to say in the 50's Ralph Snead,Phil Rice in the late 60's,Charlie Kitchen early 70's,Ty Barnes in the 80's and Dennis Gagai.2000's. Dennis may have been the only one with the 3 pt. line, possibly Barnes. All great shooters.

tigernation
Riding the Bench

Post by tigernation »

Dante Jackson

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

John Milhoan, Gallipolis, still holds most school scoring records he established in 1954-56. Played four years at Marshall University and roomed with Hal Greer.

fasteach
Varsity

Post by fasteach »

milhoan is great but i would not pass on the 2 jimmys, noe or niday.
btw jottings, did john play 4 years? i thought when he played fresmen where ineligible? when did that change? i'm not questioning you, this is me being dumb.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

For Jackson:

Pat Stevens
Matt Walburn

Morgan Dobbins is making his way up the list

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Chesapeake= James Dempsey

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

Belpre- Kyle Holbert or Kent Garrett

BRUTUS IS A BEAST
All Conference

Post by BRUTUS IS A BEAST »

futurebkstar wrote:There was a guy that played at that school before it was changed to South Gallia that had 12 3-point field goals in a game. Also he hit 90 for that season.....That guy is a nice lookin man too....This is still in the state records books against Reedsville Eastern. I'm not bragging on the shooting just the looks!!!!

I think I heard of that a few times. Do you think that guy that hit the 12 3 pointers has that game film of that game?

justlookin
Freshman Team

Post by justlookin »

Belpre: Ryan McConkey late '80's - pure shooter

Kent Garrett mid '90's- free throw making machine; lead team to states

Jordan Thornhill 2000's- flat out score the ball

All three has held the Belpre boys all time leading scoring title. Thornhill holds the record right now.

Cathy Coyner holds the school record. :122246

eaglefan1
Varsity

Post by eaglefan1 »

Kyle Holbert only played two years and i believe came close to breaking the 3-point record (then held by Kent Garrett).

Dr Lou
Riding the Bench

Post by Dr Lou »

Minford notables.

Steve Yeagle
Randy Smith
Chris Banks
Robbie Porter
Brandon Dodridge
Ryan McGraw
Sean Smith(yep Randy's baby boy)

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

South Webster: Eric McClintic...at one point he had the state single season record for 3 point shooting percentage at 53% his senior year (98-99). I'd also throw in Jordan Lower, Justin Lower, Jeremy Kaltenbach, Ty Roberts, Brett Roberts and Mike Rose.*

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Craig Tubbs......Portsmouth Trojans.......Class of 1979......starter on the 1978 State Champion Trojans.......averaged 24.5 PPG without the 3 point line........the best pure shooter in my lifetime that I have seen play for the Trojans........Craig went on to have a fine career at Miami of Ohio with Jeff Lisath and Alphonso Watkins, both of whom preceded Craig at PHS.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed May 27, 2009 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

I think I heard of that a few times. Do you think that guy that hit the 12 3 pointers has that game film of that game?

Yes he does!!!!

mkhhg20
Waterboy

Post by mkhhg20 »

Belpre has had a few really good shooters
Ryan McConkey, early 90s-could shoot from anywhere, very good midrange game

Chuck Garvey, '94- i think he held the record for most 3 pointers in a season with 60 some and in a game with seven. Still a very, very good shooter, tall at 6'3" and 240 lbs.

Kent Garrett, '96-as stated before, could really knock down the free throws, very good shooting mechanics, former leading scorer in boys bball and held the record for 3 pointers in a career. 6'0" tall.

Kyle Bradford, '98 or '99-tall at 6'4", held the single season mark of 76.

Brandon Burnfield, '00-very streaky, quick release, 6'0", tied the record for most three pointers in a game with seven.

Pat Klein,'02-very accurate, very good mechanics, all-around great shooter from anywhere from the 3 point line in. Held the record for most three pointers in a career with around 200, tall at 6'4".

Kyle Holbert, '02-very accurate and consisitent, holds the season mark for 3 pointers in a season with 87 and the most during a two year span with 151. Short in stature at 5'11", but a very quick release.

Nate Eaton, '04- 6'1", would shoot from anywhere, I mean from near half court, but would drain them. Very streaky.

Jordan Thornhill, '07-short, at 5'8" but could really shoot, streaky at times, holds the career 3 point FG record at around 200, beating the previous record held by Pat Klein. Very good all-around shooter. All-time boys scorer. At new record holder for 3 point FG in a game with I think 9 or 10.

Vincent Warren HS
Phil Mayle '80s, Curt Plummer '90, Chad Spence '97, Curt Morris '02, Justin Eichinger '04, Carson Leach '05

Marietta HS
Tyler Lough '04, Ben Howlett '05

Fort Frye HS
Alot of skilled shooters. Probably the best overall shooting program that I've seen other than Worthington Christian.
Clint Hayes '97- 11 threes in one game, 37 ppg senior year
Mitch Hayes '00- Clint's brother, southpaw, pretty stroke
?Richards '00-great shooter
Matt Vess '00
Matt Barton '02
Tyler Engle '07-holds the career 3 point FG record in Ohio with around 320 FGs. Numerous school records. OSU starting shortstop.
?Arnold '09-played this past year, good shooter.

Futurebkstar
All State

Post by Futurebkstar »

Mark Swain from Hannan Trace was clearly the best shooter that came from the Mercerville area. No 3-point line then and the man can still play....

Return to “Boys Basketball”