SHL 2011-2012

TribeManiac10
SEOP

SHL 2011-2012

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Its about that time again. As worthless as preseason rankings are here is how I think most people think the league looks at the moment. Plus my position by position preseason ranking of players.

SHL Big Division

1. Eastern Brown - Return almost everyone from last year's squad. Should have one of the most dominant backcourts in the area with gaurds like Chase Lawson, Jordan Payne, Conner Purdin, and Stout. The Warriors need to develop a consisant post presence.

2. Peebles - Lost a lot to graduation but bring up a strong JV squad and Blake Justice's younger brother Beau to complement two all-district players from last season's varsity squad in Jake Daniels and Trent Arey.

3a. Lynchburg Clay - It was a toss up between the Mustangs and North Adams for me. Lynchburg lost a trio of good seniors last season with Noll, Fawley, and Collins but return solid contributors in Tyler Davidson(one of the more underrated gaurds in the league IMO), Wes Pierson, and 6'4" sophomore Ryan Inman(I look for him to surprise some people this season).

3b. North Adams - Bring a developing core of young players back this season with Kris King, Sheridan Carroll, Seth Sparks, Levi Bales, Caleb Harper, and Quinton Baker.

5. West Union - Have some good individual pieces like Tanner Huntley and Bryce Kramer, but I dont see them getting ahead of any of the aformentioned teams after the transfer of 6'5" Braxton Gaffin to Manchester.

SHL Small Division

1. Manchester - Probably the favorites to win the small division at this point. Return a great backcourt with Travis Combs, Dylan Ricketts, and Dalton West. Also add Braxton Gaffin from West Union who I think will help to solidify a vulnerable post left after the graduation of Blake Blevins and Josh Ross.

2. Ripley - Lost a couple key players in Demarco Washington, Ravye Williams, and Jarrin Tual but return a vast majority of one of the best teams in the league a season ago. They are not weak in any one area. They have a good backcourt with Jordan Mitchell(one of the best shooters in the SE district when hot), Dante Bennett, and Riley Saelens. Plus a solid frontcourt consisting of Logan Perkins(one of the best post players in the league) and Michael Haley.

3. Whiteoak - In a similiar situation as Fairfield. The cats lost their two best players in Joe Michael and Mike Carraher but return a pretty group led by post Doc Seip and Gage Carraher.

4. Fairfield - Lost two of the best players players at their respective positions in the SHL last season with the graduation of Chris Cox and Cameron Rolark. Should finish near the middle of the pack this season being led by junior PG Quintin Williams.

5. Fayetteville - Should only see improvement for the rockets this season after finishing near dead last this past year. Honestly I have little knowledge as too how many/who they have returning from last season's squad. DJ Iles should have a solid year.

Players(supposed to be top 5 but im finding it hard to limit myself to just those 5)...plus this does not take into consideration new players(JV/Freshmen/Foreign exchange students/etc.) who could make a potential impact on varsity ball this season.

PG
1. Trent Arey-5'10"-Peebles-Jr.
2. Dylan Ricketts-5'9"/5'10"-Manchester-Sr.
3. Quintin Williams-5'11"-Fairfield-Jr.
4. Tyler Davidson-5'9ish?"-Lynchburg Clay-Sr.
5a. Dj Iles-?-Fayetteville-Soph.
5b. Tanner Huntley-5'9"-West Union-Sr.
5c. Sheridan Carroll-5'10"/5'11"-North Adams-Jr.
8. Conner Purdin-5'11"-Eastern Brown-Sr.

Wing Gaurd
1. Travis Combs-6'3"-Manchester-Sr.
2. Chase Lawson-6'3"-Eastern Brown-Jr.
3. Jordan Payne-6'1"/6'2"-Eastern Brown-Sr.
4. Jordan Mitchell-5'9"-Ripley-Sr.
5a. Kris King-6'1"-North Adams-Jr.
5b. Riley Saelens-6'1"-Ripley-Sr.
7. Brett Stout-6'0"/6'1?"-Eastern Brown-Sr.
8. Bryce Kramer-5'11"-West Union-Sr.

Forwards
1. Dalton West-6'0'-Manchester-Sr.
2. Wes Pierson-6'1"-Lynchburg Clay-Sr.
3. Michael Haley-6'2"/6'3"-Ripley-Sr.
4. Josh Chandler-6'2"-Peebles-Jr.
5. Caleb Harper-6'2"-North Adams-Sr.
6. Gage Carraher-6'0"-Whiteoak-Sr.

2. Logan Perkins-6'3"-Ripley-Sr.
3. Doc Seip-6'1"/6'2"-Whiteoak-Jr.
4. Braxton Gaffin-6'5"-Manchester-Sr.
5a. Ryan Inman-6'4"-Lynchburg Clay-Soph.
5b. Seth Sparks-6'4"-North Adams-Jr.
Last edited by TribeManiac10 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Re: SHL 2011-2012

Post by Ironman92 »

I think Whiteoak will be better than most think.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Ironman92 wrote:I think Whiteoak will be better than most think.
Honestly I debated the NA/LC and Fairfield/WO picks for a while. Do you know if the Cope kid is playing this season? If he does I would definitely move them ahead of Fairfield.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I think the Cope kid is playing. They'll also have Zach Docter back after missing last year with a knee injury. Luke Taggert will help assist in the loss of offense from Michael and Carraher. Seip could have a big year.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Ironman92 wrote:I think the Cope kid is playing. They'll also have Zach Docter back after missing last year with a knee injury. Luke Taggert will help assist in the loss of offense from Michael and Carraher. Seip could have a big year.
Thanks for the info. Im going to switch them.

JayBruce
Waterboy

Post by JayBruce »

I'd seen the Cox kid from Fairfield who graduated last year play a couple times over the years in high school. Did he go anywhere to play college ball? Did I hear Shawnee State for him?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

JayBruce wrote:I'd seen the Cox kid from Fairfield who graduated last year play a couple times over the years in high school. Did he go anywhere to play college ball? Did I hear Shawnee State for him?
Yes, he signed with Shawnee State this past season.

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

Seems like Kris King played more point guard for North Adams last season than Sheridan Carrol did.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

I think NA could be a sleeper this year, I think Coach Copas will have them playing a lot harder than the NA teams of the past couple years...

streetballer
Varsity

Post by streetballer »

i would have to disagree with arey over ricketts...ricketts was one of the tops in d-4 in the state in assists...hes probably the biggest pace changing player in the shl with his speed...arey is a good player but id have to put him a close 2nd behind ricketts

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

streetballer wrote:i would have to disagree with arey over ricketts...ricketts was one of the tops in d-4 in the state in assists...hes probably the biggest pace changing player in the shl with his speed...arey is a good player but id have to put him a close 2nd behind ricketts
Trent Arey's stats compared to Ricketts..

Arey Ricketts
6ppg > 5.8 ppg

7.9 assist > 5.1 assist

4.5 reb > 2.5 reb

2.5 steals > 1.9 steals

led the state in all divisions in assist with 7.9.......Ricketts was at 5.1.

Arey is a better rebounder, and a better defender

When you talk about speed, I think its obvious that Arey is also faster

that being said,,,they are both nice players, but the Edge is clearly with Arey

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

boomer633 wrote:Seems like Kris King played more point guard for North Adams last season than Sheridan Carrol did.
I didn't really know how to classify those two because they both switch responsibilities so often. I'm not sure you could really peg either of them as one or the other.

boomer633
Varsity

Post by boomer633 »

TribeManiac10 wrote:
boomer633 wrote:Seems like Kris King played more point guard for North Adams last season than Sheridan Carrol did.
I didn't really know how to classify those two because they both switch responsibilities so often. I'm not sure you could really peg either of them as one or the other.
That's true. That's a really good preview by the way. Find myself agreeing with about all of it.

ty.stephens
Freshman Team

Post by ty.stephens »

SHL Big Division
1. North Adams
2. Eastern
3. Peebles
4.Lynchburg
5. West Union
Small Division
1.Manchester
2.Whiteoak
3.Ripley
4.Fairfield
5.Fayetteville

Grinder
Freshman Team

Post by Grinder »

I have to go with Manchester in the small division. Everyone seems to be high on Eastern Brown but I can't really comment haven't seen them play since early last season.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Grinder wrote:I have to go with Manchester in the small division. Everyone seems to be high on Eastern Brown but I can't really comment haven't seen them play since early last season.
I watched them a couple times this offseason at scrimmages/aau tourneys and the looked pretty solid. Eastern does not have much of a post presence. They will probably start 4 guards and their tallest player will be 6'2"/6'3" in Chase Lawson but a similar makeup didn't stop Peebles from going 21-2 and being ranked 7th in the state a couple years ago.

streetballer
Varsity

Post by streetballer »

ricketts is faster than arey..them stats dont mean that arey is faster and u ask anyone and they will tell u ricketts is the best pg in the shl

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

The stats have to mean a little.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Ironman92 wrote:The stats have to mean a little.
They mean a lot. Any player who leads the state in assists will get my vote for best pg in the league.

theuglytruth
Varsity

Post by theuglytruth »

streetballer wrote:ricketts is faster than arey..them stats dont mean that arey is faster and u ask anyone and they will tell u ricketts is the best pg in the shl
Maybe if you ask anyone in Manchester, but from a non-bias point of view and having heard the opinions of most coaches in the area its hands down Arey. Numbers don't lie, and I'm sorry but Arey gets the nod in speed also. and rebounding and passing and ballhandling. Arey is one of the fastest players i've seen from coast to coast. If I start a team he is my PG... bottom line.

Them numbers dont mean he is faster, but they do mean he is better. I think stats are a little more reliable than word of mouth down in manchester.

I would also put Jordan Payne of Eastern Brown in front of Ricketts. Started since he was a sophomore, and is a very good scorer. Not as fast but a better scorer, rebounder, and defender.........

Return to “Boys Basketball”