Best player in the svc EVER!!!

Best SVC player

Total votes: 0

Sports 101
Varsity

Best player in the svc EVER!!!

Post by Sports 101 »

These guys were the first that come to mind....others just name them...

beaverlover
SE

Re: Best player in the svc EVER!!!

Post by beaverlover »

Not trying to start an arguement but I dont think you can put Caudill or Williams on that list....Both only played 1 season in the SVC.Other 3 years in Soc at Eastern.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Kevin Netter

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

I am not sure what Matt Comb's record was as a junior and senior, I am sure it was pretty good. But, he is currently the SVC all-time leading scorer, 1,726.

http://www.svcsportszone.com/boysbask1000pt.html

Plus he played in a state championship game against Haviland Wayne Trace.

And played college basketball.

So I would think he might be deserving of some votes.

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

hawkeyepierce wrote:I am not sure what Matt Comb's record was as a junior and senior, I am sure it was pretty good. But, he is currently the SVC all-time leading scorer, 1,726.

Chris Skaggs was 28-0 in the SVC as a junior and senior. Combs' record wasn't close to that. Heck, his team didn't even win the league when he was a senior. Combs scored a lot, but he shot constantly. Heck, he's a gun in pick up games as a 35 year old. I guarantee Skaggs shot a much higher percentage and averaged a ton more rebounds than Combs did.
hawkeyepierce wrote:Plus he played in a state championship game against Haviland Wayne Trace.

Where he choked.

hawkeyepierce wrote:And played college basketball.

At a D3 college. There's probably at least 10 guys who graduate from the SVC on an annual basis that could do that. That's really not a good argument when you consider there has been a number of guys from the SVC that has played D1. hp, we know your "mancrush" is huge, but in reality Combs is not the best player ever in the SVC. Heck, he wouldn't even be in the top 5 at Southeastern.

hawkeyepierce wrote:So I would think he might be deserving of some votes.

Only from guys in Vinton County who are in love with him:) Now, get back over to the football forum and whine about injuries to your football team some more. :122249

JEFF REISINGER, ZANE TRACE PIONEERS played in the Ross County League, not the SVC.

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

JR, since Coach Combs fired you from his staff you have maintained an unhealthy hatred for him. However, looking at your argument logically, you measured the "best player" as the person with the most wins, and I say the "best player" is the most points scored. This is a conundrum. But I submit, that Chris Skaggs was born with a gene that allowed him to be seven foot, he was a seven footer that was nonathletic, who couldn't dunk and missed free throws when they counted most. On the other hand, Combs was six five, athletic, could dunk and made free throws and outscored Skaggs by 227 points which was about ten times more than you had scored. Furthermore, your affinity, no, your unadulterated love for 1980's and 90's hair bands disqualifies your opinion from any significant sports rankings. I would surmise that you are privy to and your catalog of information consist the rankings of Poison, Motley Crue, Ratt, Cinderella, etc and you may have limited knowledge of Disney's Princesses and Dora the Explorer. Leave the sports to the men folk.
Last edited by hawkeyepierce on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g w mclintock
All State

Post by g w mclintock »

hawkeyepierce wrote:JR, since Coach Combs fired you from his staff you have maintained an unhealthy hatred for him. However, looking at your argument logically, you measured the "best player" as the person with the most wins, and I say the "best player" is the most points scored. This is a conundrum. But I submit, that Chris Skaggs was born with a gene that allowed him to be seven foot, he was a seven footer that was nonathletic, who couldn't dunk and missed free throws when they counted most. On the other hand, Combs was six five, athletic, could dunk and made free throws and outscored Skaggs by 227 points which was about ten times more than you had scored. Furthermore, your affinity, no, your unadulterated love for 1980's and 90's hair bands disqualifies your opinion from any significant sports rankings. I would surmise that you are privy to and your catalog of information consist the rankings of Poison, Motley Crue, Ratt, Cinderella, etc and you may have limited knowledge of Disney's Princesses and Dora the Explorer. Leave the sports to the men folk.

Man HP you gots you some big words there...But you misspelled condom.

Jake Roberts
Freshman Team

Post by Jake Roberts »

Yes, hp, I've been a little bitter since Combs chased off both Royster and myself. Also, my knowledge of Disney Princesses and Dora the Explorer is far from limited. Any topic that interests girls from the ages of 4-6, I can assure you I have a vast knowledge of. I would respond to the rest of your post, but I'm going to have to borrow your thesauraus first.

vchoops
Freshman Team

Post by vchoops »

Keep in mind, not only did Jake get ran off from the boys staff, but Coach Hale had enough of him after just one year of coaching girls. Rumor has it that they are willing to not have a JV coach at all rather than to have to go through another year with ole mister Roberts! :122245

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Eric Caudill....one year or not is more than deserving being on this list.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Ironman92 wrote:Eric Caudill....one year or not is more than deserving being on this list.

Disagree.

Great player, but had minimal impact in SVC by only being there 1 season.

Sports 101
Varsity

Post by Sports 101 »

Who cares if he had an impact...im just saying he was a pretty darn good ball player. He deserves to be on the list...and i think doug williams played more than one season for piketon...

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Sports 101 wrote:Who cares if he had an impact...im just saying he was a pretty darn good ball player. He deserves to be on the list...and i think doug williams played more than one season for piketon...

Doug played 3 years at Eastern and 1 at Piketon.Trust me,I would know.We were in the same grade and him and his brother Danny left the same year 98-99.Piketon went on to have a good season and we went 9-12 that year.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Yeah....Caudill and Williams just had the one year.

But the fact is they played in the SVC and were very talented....they have to be on the list.

Now if it were titled What SVC players had the best careers in the SVC.....that would eliminate them.

And again, IMO, none of those listed were better than Caudill and Caudill played for Piketon

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

I vote for myself! :122246 :122245 :lol: :mrgreen: ;-)

nickle back
Freshman Team

Post by nickle back »

Kevin Netter gets my vote, easily the most athletic kid the SVC has seen.

Gocavs22
Waterboy

Post by Gocavs22 »

Aaron Skeens of Southeastern. He was the Division 3 player of the for the 1989-90 season. That season Southeastern also played in the final 4 at St. John Arena.
Another candidate would be Jeff Reisinger from Zane Trace who was a a top 100 player nationally that played for Clemson in the early 70s

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Hitchens played at ZT a year or two, he deserves to be on that list for sure. Eventually went to Chillicothe and led them to a state title, but still.

The title of the thread is "best player in the SVC ever".. it doesn't say "best player who played more than 1 year in the SVC."

Watching SE Ohio basketball
final4
Waterboy

Post by final4 »

Jerry Mowery - Westfall

Bozo
S

Post by Bozo »

Gocavs22 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:03 am Aaron Skeens of Southeastern. He was the Division 3 player of the for the 1989-90 season. That season Southeastern also played in the final 4 at St. John Arena.
Another candidate would be Jeff Reisinger from Zane Trace who was a a top 100 player nationally that played for Clemson in the early 70s
Zane Trace was not in the SVC when Reisinger played.

Return to “Boys Basketball”