Re: Best player in the svc EVER!!!

Post by transplant »

Chris Beard- Zane Trace

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

g w mclintock wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:17 pm
hawkeyepierce wrote:JR, since Coach Combs fired you from his staff you have maintained an unhealthy hatred for him. However, looking at your argument logically, you measured the "best player" as the person with the most wins, and I say the "best player" is the most points scored. This is a conundrum. But I submit, that Chris Skaggs was born with a gene that allowed him to be seven foot, he was a seven footer that was nonathletic, who couldn't dunk and missed free throws when they counted most. On the other hand, Combs was six five, athletic, could dunk and made free throws and outscored Skaggs by 227 points which was about ten times more than you had scored. Furthermore, your affinity, no, your unadulterated love for 1980's and 90's hair bands disqualifies your opinion from any significant sports rankings. I would surmise that you are privy to and your catalog of information consist the rankings of Poison, Motley Crue, Ratt, Cinderella, etc and you may have limited knowledge of Disney's Princesses and Dora the Explorer. Leave the sports to the men folk.
Man HP you gots you some big words there...But you misspelled condom.
I lol’d

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Hitchens wasn’t elite great at ZT just a great freshman that you could see wasn’t far away.

Eric Caudill definitely gets a mention from me. He was incredible. I still don’t believe for a minute he couldn’t play small D1 or MAC. Doug Williams also gets a mention. Combs has to be in the consideration. You pick an all-time team and Skaggs is getting a lot of picks. Beard….Unioto has had some recent athletes that would make the team. 6’10 boy from Paint Valley.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Ironman92 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:24 pm Hitchens wasn’t elite great at ZT just a great freshman that you could see wasn’t far away.

Eric Caudill definitely gets a mention from me. He was incredible. I still don’t believe for a minute he couldn’t play small D1 or MAC. Doug Williams also gets a mention. Combs has to be in the consideration. You pick an all-time team and Skaggs is getting a lot of picks. Beard….Unioto has had some recent athletes that would make the team. 6’10 boy from Paint Valley.
When you look at the more recent players, it’s hard to judge on wins and losses. Swackhammer, for instance, never lost an SVC games, scored 1,000+ points and is the league’s all time games, steals and assist leader. But, he likely wouldn’t get pushed on a list like this due to his teammates being so good too

Then, you take Swingle, who is the league’s points and rebounding leader, but never finished higher than 4th in the league. You look at his teammates and he wasn’t able to elevate them, despite playing with 3 other 1,000 point scorers. That would likely take him down to others, while I still think he deserves mentioned

Cam Evans is a 2-time POY and ZT’s all time leading scorer, so he should get a look for recent years.

If you go back through the years, you have players that haven’t gotten mentioned like Dave Hammond, Mick Shoemaker, Bryan Alley, and Jason Cruse, among others who were greats.

Chris Skaggs won…a lot. To me, his coaching is what put him above a Swingle when it comes to his ability to win. Skaggs didn’t shoot or run the floor as well as Swingle, but he was never in foul trouble and shot an absurdly high percentage. He had better teammates too, but was always in the right spot when it mattered for them.

Matt Combs was more than a pure scorer, the dude could really rebound as well. He owned the SVC scoring record for almost 25 years and also led the best team in SVC history (fan voted) to a state runner-up. Yes, they didn’t win the league the next season, but he still was an all-timer.

Chris Beard was awesome, an all around player who could run the show, beat you off the dribble or on the blocks. Probably one of the more overlooked players, simply because he had Cruse win the POY his sophomore/junior seasons. Just a flat out baller.

You would have to look at Aaron Skeens and Mike Adams as possibly the best duo. They combined for over 2,000 points and finished their careers separated by only two points. They reached the final four as seniors and each won an SVC POY

There were some amazing players who only played in the SVC for one season, but would have to get a mention. I don’t think Hitchens fits in there, simply due to only being a freshman. But, if he stayed, he’s an SVC legend to go along with a Chillicothe legend…I think it worked out for him.

Eric Caudill, Doug Williams and more recently, Tanner Perdue, all had monster senior seasons at Piketon. Outstanding all around players who made a major impact in their short time in the SVC

Return to “Boys Basketball”