S

Re: Eastern Eagles @ Athens Bulldogs 12/29/09

Post by Bassmaster »

I have to go with Athens and home court advantage in this one. Image

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Dundas is absolutely right - tempo control is the key in this one ... for Eastern to get the "W" they will have to play the dawgs "mano y mano" to force an uptempo game, while the A'town boyz will play some type of zone again to slow down the Eastern attack, forcing the Eagles to try to get inside, funnel everything into the paint where lots more hands/help defense can take away some of that EHS quickness , if EHS can't get inside force them to beat you from downtown ... I was very impressed with Butcher from Athens - quick, hardnosed player, gets to the rim, can take a hit or two , hits the boards hard - Pfaff and Valentour are obviously key but imo Butcher will be the difference in this one at both ends of the floor ... with that said I'm looking forward to seeing Coach Caldwell's boyz in action - looking for the Eagles to push the ball at every opportunity, pressuring the ball all over the court, wanting to score in transition before the Bulldogs can get their D set ... the faster the pace that EHS can create the more forced TOs AHS will have ... on the flip side a key for Athens will be "keeping" their composure , realizing the Eagles will have their "runs" , WILL force a few more TOs than usual - patience at both ends is key to an Athens "W" ... either way this game goes - it will be worth the trip to The Plains to see this one from the Cheap Seats ...

EagleFan2010
Freshman Team

Post by EagleFan2010 »

I agreed with pfloyd/dundas. If Eastern is able to run, it's going to be a long night. We have a tendency to full court press all game and so far it's belittled every team the Eagles have played so far. Waterford had a terrible time getting past half-court in the first canto (19-1 EHS advantage after the first 8 minutes). Pressure is Caldwell's philosophy and if the Dogs stop showing cracks early, then I expect an EHS win. I believe this game will be close for the first two, maybe three quarters, but I foresee my Eagles taking the lead for good in the fourth. Should be a hard fought game and I'm so excited for Tuesday!

Go EAGLES!

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

We aint Miller. Remember these dogs can play fast and have several players who are very good off the dribble. They controlled tempo to win the last two games on the road in very tough environments. I think the Dogs welcome pressure from this Eastern group.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... Spartan - no one compared the dawgs to Miller ... just made a couple observations as to how EHS would be putting pressure on Athens full court for the entire contest ... with that said Athens did a great job taking care of the basketball vs the VC pressure - I only had the bulldogs for 12 TOs for the ENTIRE game which was outstanding - both Pfaff and Butcher took care of the ball ...however VC DIDN'T go man to man for the entire game instead opting for a trapping zone in the half court which Athens handled very well ...

pbuck
All State

Post by pbuck »

Eastern in a close on IMO

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

I know Floyd. The Bulldogs go on the road and beat Alexander and VC in the same week and turn around and have to play a good eastern team. Tough week for the Bulldogs. However unless the Bulldogs fall on their faces and do not come to play, the Eagles will face an opponent unlike any they have faced so far.

classof86
All State

Post by classof86 »

I don't think the Bulldogs should take Eastern lightly either. This will be the best defense they have faced all year and Eastern offense is pretty tough as well. I'm ready for a barnburner

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Who said they were taking them lightly 86? I am sure they arent. Skinner is as paranoid (no criticism intended) as anybody I know when it comes to opponents.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I think at some point the Bulldogs need to play more man to man. Especially when it comes tournament time. This will be a good game.

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

I personally don't understand why everyone thinks that if it is an uptempo game that Athens won't be able to compete. Come on folks, they have the best point guard in the league in pfaff, they have a quick 2 guard in butcher and they have Frank Valentour who can run with the best of them. I don't think many are giving Athens credit with the wins they have. I'd like to see Eastern go into both Alexander and VC and pull out 2 wins. It ain't going to happen.

I'm going with my dogs as always.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

The Bulldogs will be just fine against Eastern. Could be a great game though. A real battle. Probably a big crowd as I have talked to several non- Bulldog fans in the county who are coming to the game. The Bulldogs will show up and compete I am sure.

gh123
JV Team

Post by gh123 »

I like Eastern being the underdog. Obviously AxGrinder hasn't seen Eastern play. Eastern easily has the best point guard in the TVC and their entire team hustles all the way up and down the floor...Run and Gun is their specialty. I've seen both Alexander and Vinton County play and believe me, Eastern could beat both of them. I'm not a high and mighty cocky fan, I'm just saying--these Eagles are the real deal and Athens hasn't faced an opponent like Eastern this year. Athens fans are up on a bit of a high horse...and we're going to finally get to see this game tuesday.

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Athens fans on a high horse? Who, all two of us, me and Ax grinder? Glad you can count that high. If Eastern wins, you will get no excuses from me. But if Athens wins, only about 3 of us on this entire forum will give them any credit, and that is pretty much a fact. We will read about how Athens should win, because they are a bigger school, blah blah blah, that freaking record is broken and the horse has been kicked to death already. You guys should use this as preparation for the Southern game, havent the Tornadoes beaten you about 9 straight times.

gh123
JV Team

Post by gh123 »

If Athens wins, I'll be the first to give them credit. And I have said nothing about how Athens is a bigger school...nor will I. That's an obvious fact, and it doesnt matter anyway. So in that reguard, your incinuations are incorrect. I was just saying that having seen both these teams play, it SHOULD be a close game and I give the slight edge to Eastern. And I mean that in a totally unbiased way. Yes, athens has played some tougher opponents but Eastern had a very impressive win against Hunt Ross and a win against Trimble(in trimble).. and all their other games have been utter blowouts. So, you cant get down on them for having a poor schedule when they win by 30+.

ANYWAY, I'm excited for the game. Period. We can flap our gums when this thing is over. :lol:

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

Butcher is the man that makes Athens go. I have to disagree about having the best point guard in the league. I think Vinton exposed his weakness in that game when they put pressure and jumped two defenders at him. Actually that may be our weakness. I'm saying you'll see more teams start to run traps and pressure to speed up the game. Go dogs.

blubomber89
Riding the Bench

Post by blubomber89 »

I think some of you have hit the nail right on the head, Athens win will depend on it's guard play. I think Pfaf is a good player but best point guard I don't know. If he can cut out on the turnovers and really see the floor a little better then we can talk the best. As far as the Butcher kid, he is as good as it comes. Mr. can do everything in my opinion. If Athens can get production from bench it would be great. I think they have some JV players that should play up, but I think Skinner is doing a great job.

renob
Freshman Team

Post by renob »

Look for Athens to win by 10-12

j9racing
Freshman Team

Post by j9racing »

Look for eastern to win by 2 in a close one

G.W.A.
All Conference