i miss the old svac

roger
Waterboy

i miss the old svac

Post by roger »

I want to know why the topic of i miss the old svac was removed from the forum, i am a gradurate of high school hannan trace high school,with is now south gallia.

athens78
All State

Re: i miss the old svac

Post by athens78 »

It's now called the TVC Hocking Division

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

The SVAC will just have to RIP.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

I remember going to Patriot Southwestern with the New Boston Glenwood Tigers back in the late 80's or very early in the 90's for basketball. It was quite a road trip.

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

a_c_m wrote:I remember going to Patriot Southwestern with the New Boston Glenwood Tigers back in the late 80's or very early in the 90's for basketball. It was quite a road trip.

An hour? Maybe and hour and ten minutes?
Thats no road trip.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

The travel was not bad in the SVAC at all. The travel for both River Valley and South Gallia is a lot more than it was back when the four schools played in the SVAC.

Raiderball-correct-when SG went to Danville in the playoffs in 2006 it was 184 miles one way! Coach Triplett said that when he coached in Montana is was nothing to go 5 hours one way to play a football game. He also said that in the SOC II he can play any school on the road on Friday night and be home in front of the tv before 11:30.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

They do have Southern, Eastern, South Gallia now and they all play River Valley which is made up of several of the other old schools. So it's close.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

roger wrote:I want to know why the topic of i miss the old svac was removed from the forum, i am a gradurate of high school hannan trace high school,with is now south gallia.

A guy from SG getting on here and saying he misses the ole SVAC is like saying we know we cant win the Hocking sure wish we were still in the lamest conference in the state. We at Eastern do not miss the SVAC because we comptete on a state level every year.....KSA!

GrooGruxKing
Waterboy

Post by GrooGruxKing »

BaldEagle....I have one question. You state that Eastern competes on a state level now and they do not miss the SVAC. Is it because they could not win the SVAC? As I recall, when Southern did not win the league it was Hannan Trace picking it up. Eastern only has maybe 3 SVAC titles in 25 or more years. I am not bashing Eastern, only questioning your statement. I do realize that Eastern has 1 trip to the State, but come on.

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

Raiderball wrote:
a_c_m wrote:I remember going to Patriot Southwestern with the New Boston Glenwood Tigers back in the late 80's or very early in the 90's for basketball. It was quite a road trip.

Thats no road trip.

Excuse me for having an opinion Raiderball!

To travel up to Southwestern via Oak Hill over to Rio Grande and then down to SW, when no one had ever been there before turned out to be quite a road trip for our bus and the fans following it. I know you can be at Southwestern in just a few minutes from River Valley! Why the sarcastic remark?

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

It all depends on your prospective. For some the trip from New Boston to Southwestern would not be far if they were use to traveling but if you were not it would seem like a long trip. Back then was there even a school outside of Scioto County in the SOC?

Raiderball
SEOPS H

Post by Raiderball »

a_c_m wrote:
Raiderball wrote:

Thats no road trip.

Excuse me for having an opinion Raiderball!

To travel up to Southwestern via Oak Hill over to Rio Grande and then down to SW, when no one had ever been there before turned out to be quite a road trip for our bus and the fans following it. I know you can be at Southwestern in just a few minutes from River Valley! Why the sarcastic remark?

I guess if you are comparing to your other trips.... sciotoville, south webster, clay and etc... then going to southwestern would be a long trip.
I've gotten use to traveling to Logan, Marietta, Warren, and the Lawrence Co OVC schools... All trips longer than you are talking about.
Sorry about the sarcasm.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

The only sport eastern is on a state level every year is volleyball, and that is pushing it.(regional level is more like it)

a_c_m
SEOPS H

Post by a_c_m »

mtswngrvsg wrote:It all depends on your prospective. For some the trip from New Boston to Southwestern would not be far if they were use to traveling but if you were not it would seem like a long trip. Back then was there even a school outside of Scioto County in the SOC?

Latham Western Pike, Beaver Eastern Pike and Symmes Valley were a part of the SOC. Ironton St.Joseph was in and out of the league.

MTSWNGRVSG
SE

Post by MTSWNGRVSG »

Were Eastern and Western in the SOC back in the 80's. South Western closed in 1992. Symmes Valley could not have been in the SOC I from 85 to 92 because they were in the SVAC then.

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

GrooGruxKing wrote:BaldEagle....I have one question. You state that Eastern competes on a state level now and they do not miss the SVAC. Is it because they could not win the SVAC? As I recall, when Southern did not win the league it was Hannan Trace picking it up. Eastern only has maybe 3 SVAC titles in 25 or more years. I am not bashing Eastern, only questioning your statement. I do realize that Eastern has 1 trip to the State, but come on.

That is ancient histroy and more proof about how much cheating was a factor in the old league. We didnt win because we got homered every where we played especialy in Racine. Now that we have Howie and the stomp, we expect deep tourney runs every year. the TVC has made us step up our game in a way the SVAC never would have permitted. I am glad that league is dead. Zero class and zero credibility in the SVAC. It was the laughing stock white trash trailer park league of the state.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

baldeagle wrote:
GrooGruxKing wrote:BaldEagle....I have one question. You state that Eastern competes on a state level now and they do not miss the SVAC. Is it because they could not win the SVAC? As I recall, when Southern did not win the league it was Hannan Trace picking it up. Eastern only has maybe 3 SVAC titles in 25 or more years. I am not bashing Eastern, only questioning your statement. I do realize that Eastern has 1 trip to the State, but come on.

That is ancient histroy and more proof about how much cheating was a factor in the old league. We didnt win because we got homered every where we played especialy in Racine. Now that we have Howie and the stomp, we expect deep tourney runs every year. the TVC has made us step up our game in a way the SVAC never would have permitted. I am glad that league is dead. Zero class and zero credibility in the SVAC. It was the laughing stock white trash trailer park league of the state.

As is the Southern most teams of the TVC Hocking and we just keep letting them in. :lol:

roger
Waterboy

Post by roger »

The only time that eastern ever came close winning the svac was when howie,playing basketball for eastern without the stomp and that was in 72 when they tie with symmes valley and hannan trace for the league title.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

gahs4ever wrote:Everytime I hear someone complaining about travel it makes me wonder about how teams got around in the 50s-60s-70s.

I believe those doing the complaining are too young to remember when to drive to Columbus from Portsmouth you had to go THRU Chillicothe on Bridge St, and then THRU Circleville on, I believe, Court St. Same thing when traveling from Chillicothe to Gallipolis. US35 was mostly two lane (main truck artery in SE Ohio) and you had to go THRU Jackson and Rio Grande.

It hasnt been that long ago that the App was mostly 2 lane from US23 to Cincinnati, and in the 50s to get to Cincinnati from Chillicothe you had to travel two lane US50 through Hillsboro and every other village. Taking US35 to Dayton was no treat, having to go THRU Frankfort, Washington CH, Jamestown and Xenia.

Face it folks....the distances may be greater but the traveling is much easier thanks to the Ohio state flower (orange barrels)!

Orange Barrels!!! Now thats funny!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They bloom 365 days a year to!

roger
Waterboy

Post by roger »

Also tell me when was the last time that the tri valley had an undefeated team for the year.I want you know that the svac had 4 in a row with 3 different teams back the mid 70's starting with hannan trace going back to back 74&75 then there was north gallia in 76 and not lease there was the southern team in 77. also southern did it couples more times after that and by the way back in 2002 sectional tourament at wellston south gallia not only beat the eastern eagles also the favorite trimble tomcats 2 night later.

Return to “Boys Basketball”