All State

East @ Clay 01-12-09

Post by claypantherfan »

What is your thoughts on this matchup?

my2cents
S

Re: East @ Clay 01-12-09

Post by my2cents »

These are getting easier to predict as the year goes on.

East will press, Clay will turn the ball over. East will press, Clay won't be able to get the ball inbounds. East will press, Clay will take 10 second calls. (Clay won't press because their man to man press only produces lay ups for the other team)

Clay will play man to man defense, giving up multiple lay ups to a much shorter team, East won't have to shoot over the taller defense of Clay, they will just cut back door off a pick and hit the lay up.

Clay's offense will run around the outside of the three point arc, with each player trying to create something on his own until they turn the ball over.

If I sound a little bitter that is because I have wathced Coach T for the past three years and it is the same thing every game. With that said, good luck Panthers, you will have to create and score on your own. Try staying back and helping bring the ball up the court instead of letting one guy get caught in the back court by two defenders. You should be able to win this game and fridays game at Green. A win at against SV at home and you will be back in the hunt.

Waterdog
Riding the Bench

Post by Waterdog »

The captains of the team are going to have to step and say something. Call time outs instead of taking 5 second calls. Suggest "zone" when it is needed and FOR GODS SAKE .... just refuse to do the weave play!!! It hasnt ever worked !!
The Clay boys know how to play. They beat Waverly uncoached and Waverly are one of the best teams in Southern Ohio.
It is such a shame for boys like Lawson and others who could be getting looks from Colleges .... won't get the recongnition they deserve because with Coach T's plays . The team and the players look like the don't know what the heck they are doing out there. It is embarassing and frustrating. I am glad for formats like this one so you can voice your opinion. Does anyone else besides 2 cents feel this way?

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

I sure feel this way after watching them play for 3 years I really do I wish they had a differnt coach then what they do sometimes i feel like he wants the boys to forget everything they have always been coached by some of the antics they get in trouble for when they make good plays

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

I haven't watch Clay play the last 3 years other than against Minford and Eastern a couple of times. ALthough I have never been impressed with Trainer, I can't imagine where all of this "coach downing" is helping your current team. Unless he punches a kid or something, no change will be made during the season.

Were there not any other solid applicants when the job was given to him?

The administration must have thought he was the best that applied.

Goodluck (except against the Eagles)
Last edited by Eaglesnest on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Tartans by 8...

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

I know that Coach Fitch was one of them

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

claypantherfan wrote:I know that Coach Fitch was one of them

That would seem weird now if Fitch was at Clay!

beaverlover
SE

Post by beaverlover »

Glad they didn't hire him.

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

Eaglesnest wrote:
claypantherfan wrote:I know that Coach Fitch was one of them

That would seem weird now if Fitch was at Clay!

Well i agree but I was just saying he was one of them and so was Benji Richards Minfords Jv coach , and I think but not real sure i think Arnold King was one of them but I am not real sure

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

I think this game will be a close one and I think Clay will win this

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

I know there has been a lot of people downing the coach at Clay, but if you had to watch this for 3 years in a row you would understand. If you have seen Clay play one game in the past three years, you have seen all there is. Nothing ever changes. I talk to people all over Southern Ohio and to a person they ask me "What the heck is going on with Clay Basketball". I know they picked him because he has some college experience, but he doesn't have the concept of small high school basketball. He believes every kid can dribble, penetrate and shoot on his own. Maybe in college that is the case, but his plan has never worked and he refuses to change it. A former coach and player told me the other night if he has to watch the dribble and weave, 1 on 5 offense of Clay on more night he is going to explode.

I'll put this out there now, because there is a storm brewing at Clay high school, parents are fed up with it, players are frustrated and fans are non-existant. We suffered thru the first two year hoping he would catch on and learn to adapt, but it is the same old same old every game. I don't even want to hear the line "don't complain and give him a chance, because it only hurts the kids and the program". I don't think the program can sink any lower and the kids don't have confidence or desire to even play anymore. Anyone who thinks he is doing a great job, please speak up an tell us what the problem is, or better yet, trade us coaches. I think the pee wee coaches could do better.

As has been said many times "He is the nicest guy you'll ever meet" and that is true, but nice guys finish last.

dimedrop4
All State

Post by dimedrop4 »

Clay should Win this on paper, but I see east coming in and making it a good game...

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

Both schools are out today, but roads should be clear by game time. Post if you know that they playing tonight.

live4sport
JV Team

Post by live4sport »

Man if Clay would have got Fitch when he was available I think they would also be a front-runner in the league. He seems to be able to get alot out of his players and Clay has some good players.

WWH
Riding the Bench

Post by WWH »

Waterdog wrote:The captains of the team are going to have to step and say something. Call time outs instead of taking 5 second calls. Suggest "zone" when it is needed and FOR GODS SAKE .... just refuse to do the weave play!!! It hasnt ever worked !!
The Clay boys know how to play. They beat Waverly uncoached and Waverly are one of the best teams in Southern Ohio.
It is such a shame for boys like Lawson and others who could be getting looks from Colleges .... won't get the recongnition they deserve because with Coach T's plays . The team and the players look like the don't know what the heck they are doing out there. It is embarassing and frustrating. I am glad for formats like this one so you can voice your opinion. Does anyone else besides 2 cents feel this way?

Misery, wanting some company ??? Can I suggest counseling. Maybe two for the price of one ?!?!

WWH
Riding the Bench

Post by WWH »

my2cents wrote:I know there has been a lot of people downing the coach at Clay, but if you had to watch this for 3 years in a row you would understand. If you have seen Clay play one game in the past three years, you have seen all there is. Nothing ever changes. I talk to people all over Southern Ohio and to a person they ask me "What the heck is going on with Clay Basketball". I know they picked him because he has some college experience, but he doesn't have the concept of small high school basketball. He believes every kid can dribble, penetrate and shoot on his own. Maybe in college that is the case, but his plan has never worked and he refuses to change it. A former coach and player told me the other night if he has to watch the dribble and weave, 1 on 5 offense of Clay on more night he is going to explode.

I'll put this out there now, because there is a storm brewing at Clay high school, parents are fed up with it, players are frustrated and fans are non-existant. We suffered thru the first two year hoping he would catch on and learn to adapt, but it is the same old same old every game. I don't even want to hear the line "don't complain and give him a chance, because it only hurts the kids and the program". I don't think the program can sink any lower and the kids don't have confidence or desire to even play anymore. Anyone who thinks he is doing a great job, please speak up an tell us what the problem is, or better yet, trade us coaches. I think the pee wee coaches could do better.

As has been said many times "He is the nicest guy you'll ever meet" and that is true, but nice guys finish last.

Stay home.

BeAWarrior
Riding the Bench

Post by BeAWarrior »

I could have told you they made the wrong decision three years ago. Trainer had a good bunch of athletes his first season, won 2 games, a good bunch of athletes his second season, won 5? and then this season?

I remember the kids coming home from school telling me that The JV whooped them up and down the court when they played in practice (this was Trainer's first season) But that's a whole nother' story! ;)

I think they need a young coach who knows the game, but has the patience to work with them, while also challanging them!

Who this is though is the question?

Let me also add, I will fully support Coach Trainer! I have nothing but up most respect for the man, great man, great coach. Just not a good fit for him at Clay High School, I believe he could take a team like Waverly or even Valley and win 15+ a season, just not Clay High.

my2cents
S

Post by my2cents »

BeAwarrior, you are the voice of common sense. That is what I have been saying all along. Nice guy, probably could coach a bigger school program and coach some small college ball, but doesn't know how to adapt from game to game or year to year with what talent he has available. I have no grudge against him. I really hoped he would learn to adapt, but I don't think it will happen.

dimedrop4
All State

Post by dimedrop4 »

Anyone have a final score from this game????

Return to “Boys Basketball”