IRONTON 60 VS Portsmouth 54 - FINAL 1/19

caglewis
SEOP

IRONTON 60 VS Portsmouth 54 - FINAL 1/19

Post by caglewis »

ALMOST GAME TIME
On the radio on WIRO 1230 AM
On the net: http://www.foxsports1230.com/pages/scores.html
Click beside the TIGER face down in the middle of the page.
Last edited by caglewis on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tk421
Varsity

Re: IRONTON VS PORTSMOUTH - 1-19 - UPDATES

Post by tk421 »

Ironton Freshman and JV won their games.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

1ST QTR
TIME - IT - PT
7:30 - 02 - 00
7:06 - 04 - 00 - Twag
6:57 - 06 - 00 - Koch - 3 PT turnovers = points for IT
6:20 - 08 - 00 - Twag ?
5:?? - 08 - 02
5:?? - 08 - 02 - IT Edens misseed 2 FT's - score same
5:00 - 08 - 02 - 6 turnovers by PT
4:?? - 08 - 04
3:44 - 08 - 04
2:40 - 08 - 04 - missed shots
1:?? - 11 - 04 - Travis - + FT coming up - gd
1:?? - 13 - 04 - Koch - missed FT
0:?? - 16 - 04 - Travis - + FT coming - gd
0:?? - 16 - 04 - PT with 6 fouls - + 10 turnovers
0:01 - 19 - 04 - Twag - a 3

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

2ND QTR
TIME - IT - PT
8:00 - 19 - 04
7:?? - 19 - 07 - a 3
6:?? - 21 - 07 - JP Taylor
6:?? - 21 - 13 - 2 quick 3's
5:?? - 23 - 13 - Travis
5:?? - 23 - 16 - a 3
5:?? - 25 - 16 - Twag
4:40 - 27 - 16 - Travis
3:30 - 27 - 16 - PT 13 turnovers
3:07 - 29 - 16 - Travis ?
2:?? - 29 - 16 - timeout - score same
2:?? - 29 - 16 - another PT turnover
2:?? - 29 - 16 - missed shots - time killing
1:45 - 29 - 16
1:?? - 29 - 18 - FT's
0:?? - 30 - 18 - Travis FT x 1
0:?? - 33 - 18 - Twag - + T - so 2 Ft's - gd x1
0:?? - 33 - 18 - IT turnover - END OF 2ND QTR - AT THE HALF

i hate Tues games - it's my favorite TV night.

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

3RD QTR
TIME - IT - PT
7:?? - 33 - 20
7:?? - 34 - 20 - Koch FT
6:20 - 34 - 22
5:?? - 36 - 22 - Travis
4:?? - 38 - 25 - didn't get details
3:?? - 38 - 28 - 3-pointer
3:?? - 38 - 31 - Evans
3:30 - 40 - 21 - Koch
2:?? - 40 - 31
2:20 - 40 - 33 - + FT - no gd
1:40 - 40 - 33
1:?? - 41 - 33 - Travis at line - gd X1
0:?? - 41 - 35
0:43 - 41 - 35 - timeout IT - PT coming back
0:?? - 42 - 35 - Ft - Twag - gd x 1
0:14 - 42 - 37 - FT gd x 2
END OF 3RD QTR - PT HAS CUT 15 PT DEFICIT TO 5

caglewis
SEOP

Post by caglewis »

4TH QTR
TIME - IT - PT
7:?? - 42 - 37 - IT missed FT's
7:?? - 42 - 40 - a 3
6:?? - 43 - 40 - JP at the line - gd x1
6:?? - 43 - 42 - PT at line gd x 2q
6:?? - 45 - 42 - missed FT for IT
6:23 - 45 - 44
6:?? - 46 - 44 - Koch FT
6:?? - 46 - 44 - Malcolm at line - missed
5:40 - 46 - 44 - try by IT no good
4:?? - 46 -44 - missed shots
4:?? - 48 - 44 - Zach FT - gd x 2
4:07 - 48 - 46 - PT Mckinley fouls out
4:07 - 50 - 46 - Koch at line - gds x 2
3:50 - 50 - 49 -
3:30 - 52 - 51
3:00 - 54 - 51 - Koch FT gd x 2
2:20 - 54 - 53 - TO
2:02 - 54 - 53
1:45 - 56 - 53 - malcolm ?
1:00 - 56 - 53 - JP at line
0:47 - 57 - 53 - IT horrible at line - but made 1
0:30 - 57 - 53 - PT missed FT x 2
0:?? - 57 - 53 - IT missed x2
0:18 - 59 - 54- PT FT's coming - gds x 1
0:?? - 60 - 54 - FT - Koch MERCY MERCY - GAME OVER
0:00 - 60 -54 - FINAL - Ironton wins but barely. Congrats to the Ironton Fighting Tigers - but what a great effort by the Trojans.
Last edited by caglewis on Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tk421
Varsity

Post by tk421 »

Good game from the Tigers. Absolutely need to work on FTs.

caglewis
SEOP

Re: IRONTON 60 VS Portsmouth 54 - FINAL 1/19

Post by caglewis »

Ironton was something like 9-24 at the free-throw line. Pitiful!
We had way more free-throw opportunities than Portsmouth, but hit very few. It will probably be called just a lucky "HOMER" win for Ironton, but we DID WIN.

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

Tobias wrote:WIRO said it was 19 for 38 at the FT line for Ironton, but I could be wrong...

...stark contrast to Portsmouth who didn't get to the line as much and was 9 for 13...

:roll:

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

You arent going to the line when you take 90% of your shots outside of 15 feet. I know coach Clifford is a master at teaching lineman to hold, so he must have been teaching the Trojans this week.
Portsmouth is probably the most athletic team i have ever seen. If a stranger walked in and watched the game, he would have been dumbfounded by the outcome of this game. The trojans SHOULD be a team to be reckoned with come tourny time.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

caglewis wrote:Ironton was something like 9-24 at the free-throw line. Pitiful!
We had way more free-throw opportunities than Portsmouth, but hit very few. It will probably be called just a lucky "HOMER" win for Ironton, but we DID WIN.

you look to be the only one "suggesting" it :mrgreen:

we had a terrible first period and it cost us the game, we was down 15 at halftime,and still made a game of it,,,was within 1 point in the last period and had plenty of chances to take the lead, but missed shot after shot.....

congrtas on the win to the Tigers,and to Portsmouth kids, way to play to the end,and not fold the tent when you was down by 15.

we missed trey Underwood tonight, way to many easy layups underneath for Ironton.

this Trojan team will bounce back,and Im looking very forward to the rematch of this one, down here

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Congratulations to the Fighting Tigers on the win.........Ironton has a VERY GOOD basketball team.......

VERY PROUD OF THE TROJANS FOR THEIR COMEBACK!!!.......we had Ironton on the ropes.......getting the lead down to 54-53 with the ball, but just couldn't make the go-ahead shot.

Not having starter Tre Underwood available was HUGE.......his 13+ PPG and 10 RPG were sorely missed.......I don't think the Fighting Tigers would have had nearly as many putbacks with his presence in the post. Tre is supposed to be back for the Warren game.

Still, down 1 starter and outshot at the FT line 38-13, Portsmouth gave IHS all they could handle.......and while it was Ironton's 16th win in the last 17 games vs. PHS, I have a feeling that their number is coming up........soon.

Tory Horne was sensational for Portsmouth, with 27 points.......and sophomore Dion McKinley played a fine game, and stayed out of foul trouble for most of the game.......the future is exciting with this kid.........the Trojans started 2 sophomores last night, McKinley and Wayne Evans.

I feel good about our Trojans despite this loss.......our best basketball is still ahead of us.
Last edited by trojandave on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Ironton's freshmen class is UNBELIEVABLE!!.......In my 40 years of watching high school sports, I have NEVER seen a better freshmen class of athletes........one starting on the varsity, most playing JV, and the rest playing on the freshmen team.......with one injured and out for the year........I just can't believe how good they are!!.......

Fighting Tiger fans are in for some good times on the gridiron and the hardwood the next 3 years.......I would say a state championship in something will come out of this incredible class.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

trojandave wrote:Congratulations to the Fighting Tigers on the win.........Ironton has a VERY GOOD basketball team.......

VERY PROUD OF THE TROJANS FOR THEIR COMEBACK!!!.......we had Ironton on the ropes.......getting the lead down to 54-53 with the ball, but just couldn't make the go-ahead shot.

Not having starter Tre Underwood available was HUGE.......his 13+ PPG and 10 RPG were sorely missed.......I don't think the Fighting Tigers would have had nearly as many putbacks with his presence in the post. Tre is supposed to be back for the Warren game.

Still, down 1 starter and outshot at the FT line 38-13, Portsmouth gave IHS all they could handle.......and while it was Ironton's 16th win in the last 17 games, I have a feeling that their number is coming up........soon.

Tory Horne was sensational for Portsmouth, with 27 points.......and sophomore Dion McKinley played a fine game, and stayed out of foul trouble for most of the game.......the future is exciting with this kid.........the Trojans started 2 sophomores last night, McKinley and Wayne Evans.

I feel good about our Trojans despite this loss.......our best basketball is still ahead of us.

I certainly agree with that statement. This is going to be quite a rivalry the next 4 years. I agree that you missed Underwood. However, will too many cooks spoil the pot? Underwood was very valuable before Horne and Mckinley were eligible. With just one ball, will this team bve able to play "team" basketball? If PHS can do that, their tourny run will be a long one. Extremely athletic.

trojandave
SEOP

Post by trojandave »

85inside: For the first time all season, in the Logan game, we saw what Tre and Dion could do being in the game at the same time......with Tory now in the starting lineup, we will get along fine......this team does not resemble the dysfunctional group of last year......we have played excellent team basketball.........Coach Collins has changed the mindset to the team concept........anybody who watched the game last night has to admit that Portsmouth played team basketball.......you don't come back from a 15 point deficit against a very good Ironton team without playing team basketball.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

Dave, those of us that go to and see each and every Trojan game, knows that these kids play TEAM ball

I did not see anything in last nights game that would say other wise either.

we will be ok, like you said not haveing Tre hurt us in a bad way, you spot a team like Ironton 14 or 15 poiints in the first period,and then have a chance to win in the 4th, you have to be playing some pretty good ball in about 3 periods.

I was told that the Ironton radio already had us wrote off,and siad after the first querter this was headecd to a very ugly slaughter fest , or something of that nature...may want to see how the game unfolds before making them statements :mrgreen:

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

trojandave wrote:85inside: For the first time all season, in the Logan game, we saw what Tre and Dion could do being in the game at the same time......with Tory now in the starting lineup, we will get along fine......this team does not resemble the dysfunctional group of last year......we have played excellent team basketball.........Coach Collins has changed the mindset to the team concept........anybody who watched the game last night has to admit that Portsmouth played team basketball.......you don't come back from a 15 point deficit against a very good Ironton team without playing team basketball.

Better than last year? I will say yes. Anything was better than last year as far as team ball goes. Portsmouth came back last night because Ironton could not execute free throw shooting. IOt was the 4th quarter before ironton was able to execute two straight free throws. That game was a 10+ point game for anyone who saw it. Reason number two was 3 point shooting. When you take that many (and make them), you dont get to the charity line. You all are probably right about an inside presence. Your big guy scored the only 4 points of the first quarter and then the inside game was abandoned.
I truly believe that PHS can play a more rounded game. IF they find that game, i doubt they lose very many, if any at all the rest of the way. IMO, the most athletic team i have seen in southern ohio in over a decade.
PHS really needs to get Evans off earlier in the game. Ironton folks know very well how good he can be.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

[quote="biggdowgg"]Dave, those of us that go to and see each and every Trojan game, knows that these kids play TEAM ballI did not see anything in last nights game that would say other wise either.

we will be ok, like you said not haveing Tre hurt us in a bad way, you spot a team like Ironton 14 or 15 poiints in the first period,and then have a chance to win in the 4th, you have to be playing some pretty good ball in about 3 periods.

I was told that the Ironton radio already had us wrote off,and siad after the first querter this was headecd to a very ugly slaughter fest , or something of that nature...may want to see how the game unfolds before making them statements :mrgreen:[/quote]

You must have missed the botched dunk attempt, down by just 4 points, with a little under two minutes to play. i dont think that displays much of a "team" mentality. However, as i said earlier, it is much better than last year. We will see if everyone can be happy with others getting scoring chances. From what i have seen in the past, it is very hard to keep a team as overwhelmingly athletic as Portsmouth, happy.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

85inside wrote:[quote="biggdowgg"]Dave, those of us that go to and see each and every Trojan game, knows that these kids play TEAM ballI did not see anything in last nights game that would say other wise either.

I was told that the Ironton radio already had us wrote off,and siad after the first querter this was headecd to a very ugly slaughter fest , or something of that nature...may want to see how the game unfolds before making them statements :mrgreen:[/quote]

You must have missed the botched dunk attempt, down by just 4 points, with a little under two minutes to play. i dont think that displays much of a "team" mentality. However, as i said earlier, it is much better than last year. We will see if everyone can be happy with others getting scoring chances. From what i have seen in the past, it is very hard to keep a team as overwhelmingly athletic as Portsmouth, happy.[/quote]

your kidding right?

you had a JV player miss a dunk, so that means hes not a team player?

Ironton has a lot of talent, so if they can play team ball,Im sure Portsmouth can to.

85inside
S

Post by 85inside »

biggdowgg wrote:
85inside wrote:[quote="biggdowgg"]Dave, those of us that go to and see each and every Trojan game, knows that these kids play TEAM ballI did not see anything in last nights game that would say other wise either.

You must have missed the botched dunk attempt, down by just 4 points, with a little under two minutes to play. i dont think that displays much of a "team" mentality. However, as i said earlier, it is much better than last year. We will see if everyone can be happy with others getting scoring chances. From what i have seen in the past, it is very hard to keep a team as overwhelmingly athletic as Portsmouth, happy.[/quote][/quote]

your kidding right?

you had a JV player miss a dunk, so that means hes not a team player?
Ironton has a lot of talent, so if they can play team ball,Im sure Portsmouth can to.[/quote]

No, I am not kidding. Yes, Ironton's player missed a dunk and yes i feel it is a very selfish play in high school. I also believe the ironton player was pulled out of the game, immediately following his move.
Like it or not, that play was a selfish play. The game was a 4 point game. Make the layup and set up your full court defense. You are down just 2 points. Instead, the dunk was missed and the Ironton kid then hit two free throws on the other end. A four point swing.

Return to “Boys Basketball”