Teams that have never won a league championship

Heavy D
All Conference

Teams that have never won a league championship

Post by Heavy D »

Are there any teams out there that have never won a championship in the league they are currently in? I am talking about teams that have been in a league for at least 5 years. If there are list them here, and maybe tell why you think they have not won the league.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Re: Teams that have never won a league championship

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

The two Southern's, Racine and Miller have never won a basketball championship in the TVC. Miller has won one in football though, while Racine has not. I would say the reason they haven't won one in basketball is that both are football schools. :mrgreen:

Baldeagle
Varsity

Post by Baldeagle »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:The two Southern's, Racine and Miller have never won a basketball championship in the TVC. Miller has won one in football though, while Racine has not. I would say the reason they haven't won one in basketball is that both are football schools. :mrgreen:

I thought Racine was a BASEBALL school.......

Pitchers and Catchers Report......The TVC is lost.....AGAIN. :lol: :lol:

As someone once said Just my Opinions Guys! :mrgreen:

cg 22
JV Team

Post by cg 22 »

Winning a league championship doesn't really mean anything if you don't go any where in the tournament. Some examples I can give are Trimble won the league in football and never played one game in the post season, so what did this really mean? Now when Southern won the league in golf and went on to compete in the state it meant something. Same with when they won in baseball and went on to play in the regionals that year. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GrooGruxKing
Waterboy

Post by GrooGruxKing »

To some, league championships are important. I am sure the folks at Southern would like to get one to shut up some of these posts. However, they could start a post about Sectional titles, District titles, Regional titles, and State appearances that would shut up most of the TVC posters. I may be wrong, but I believe they have more of these titles than 90% of the teams in the TVC. Many of the people on this site believe the TVC is terrible. I for one disagree, but if that is truly so, than who would want to boast about being TVC champs? I guess those that have them.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Well if the league is so terrible how bad does a team have to be that cant even win it? Ever! Trimble has been to the state in golf too. But who cares about golf? They have been to the regional in basketball, and baseball. Probably more times in baseball than Southern. In football, since you brought it up, Trimble is the only TVC team Hocking or Ohio to win a playoff game in last 8 or 9 years, and won more in this decade than any other team except maybe Nelsonville. The only ones who say winning the league is not important are those that dont have a chance to win it. But if and when they do win one that is all you here about. Just like this past football season when all you read on here was how Southern was going to win the league. Then when they got stomped and it was clear they couldnt win it, all you read was who cares about the league. Since you brought all that up... :lol:

But this is about teams that have never won a league title in basketball. Not about which team beat the 4th place team in their league to move on and then get stomped the next game in the tourny. :mrgreen:

GrooGruxKing
Waterboy

Post by GrooGruxKing »

Heavy D, is it hear about or here about? And since you brought it up, I was talking about basketball, not baseball or football. How many titles in the categories that I mentioned does Trimble, Miller, Fed Hock, Alex, Vinton, Meigs, Wellston, Nelsonville, or even Eastern and Belpre have compared to Southern (IN BASKETBALL). You are correct about the post concerning Southern never winning the league in football and in basketball. Everything else is just an opinion.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

GrooKing never knew you was the grammer police. You should wear your badge so I will know that from now on dude. :lol:

I was responding to your post as well as the other cats post. He mentioned baseball and golf. As for you, I would like to stick to the last 20 years or so if you don't mind cause I wasnt even born when Southern almost won the state :lol: . And the thread is about league championships, not who won the district in 1975, or 85 or whatever. If a league title means as little as you and your pal say, then why are you even reading this thread? Why dont you start one about who has never beaten the 4th place team in their league to win the district?

oldmo31
Varsity

Post by oldmo31 »

If wining a league title means nothing,why be in a league?Go independent!!!!!!!!

Purple Tornado
Riding the Bench

Post by Purple Tornado »

Hard to take someone seriously that can't spell moron. Who cares about the TVC it stinks. We were close to two state titles and that is more than anyone else in the TVC. We went to regionals last year in basketball and baseball. That is more than anyone else did. Just wait till this Jr hi team gets in high school and you will see what our new football coach can do to. Southern will dominate in football when those guys are jr and sr mark my words. So make fun now but we will dominate the TVC in the near future and we already do in baseball.

GrooGruxKing
Waterboy

Post by GrooGruxKing »

Never said I was the grammar police. Just could not understand some of your post due to the grammatical errors.
I am also aware that this thread is about league championships and not about district titles in '75 or '85. However, I wanted to state my opinion as to why many at Southern do not feel slighted about not having a TVC title. When Southern was in the SVAC ( old enough to remember?) they won the league title 12 out of 15 years. Do you think they or anyone else cared? No, it was about the tourney. Southern has a rich basketball tradition that has seen its years of being down. Tradition is not what you have done in the last year, but what you have done over your existence (like the last 40 years). As for you not knowing some of my facts due to not being born yet, maybe you should do a little research before trying to mock another basketball program.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

How about we keep the history to the the time period since a team has joined the League! In other words Southern hasn't done crap in Basketball since they joined the TVC. If Southern is so great and by far the best Basketball school in the entire League then how can they not win a league title? If they are the best then at some point they would have accidentally won a league title even though they don't really matter in Racine. Being so great I figures you all would have stumbled across a TVC Hocking title by now!
But hey what do I know?? With all that History and Tradition of almost winning state titles I bow down to Southern Basketball!

GrooGruxKing
Waterboy

Post by GrooGruxKing »

GoBucks, look at my posts and read them carefully. I never said league titles "mean nothing". As a matter of fact, I stated that Southern would like to win it to put it to rest. However, those kids that played last season would not trade cutting down the nets at the Convo (against their rival) for a TVC championship.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

River Valley I would say in the OVC boys. But they might have shared one. i could be wrong though.On the girls I saw at the Peak's gym that the girls have only won 1 league title in like 50 years

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

I have had friends tell me that Southern use to chant S-V-A-C when they played in that league and they were about to end a game that assured them a league title. Also that it was very important to them to win those titles. So by those accounts it was important to them when they knew they could win it. Like O and B said, if Southern is so rich in tradition why can't they win the lowly TVC Hocking? Oh that's right I almost forgot, it's cause no one cares about a league title. That is why posters from all the other schools are on here saying that it is not important. :lol:

GrooGruxKing
Waterboy

Post by GrooGruxKing »

Your are correct about the chanting. Let me ask you this....would your fans cheer for a title they were about to wrap up?
These friends will also tell you that they cannot name the all the years Southern won the SVAC, but they can tell you when they lost in the sectionals.

Look, I am not bashing any school and I did not say the league title is nothing. However, for some to mock Southern basketball crazy. At least to me. It's like me trying to mock Trimble's football tradition. That would be crazy.

As for Southern not being able to win the TVC, that is due to other teams being better in that given year. 1994 was the first year they entered the TVC. It is sad that they have not won the league. However, it does not change all they have done in their school history.

They are in the top 10 for school wins in the state. They have the record for the most consecutive sectional titles (23). They have two state tourney appearances. I think that most level headed minds would agree that that is pretty good for a school their size. I would also like to know if another TVC school can say they have done more.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Jackson hasn't won the SEOAL since 1990-91....and I think just 1975-76 since the mid 60's

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

M0TIVAT0R wrote:The two Southern's, Racine and Miller have never won a basketball championship in the TVC. Miller has won one in football though, while Racine has not. I would say the reason they haven't won one in basketball is that both are football schools. :mrgreen:

Racine not a basketball school? Didn't Carl Wolfe coach there at one time and I remember one player by the name of Kent Wolfe that might beg to differ with you.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Again, hard to believe a basketball school has never won their league. For those of you who say I am bashing the tradition of Southern basketball I would like for you to go back and read my first post. I simply asked a question about what teams have never won a league championship. Then some of you came on here and first said a league championship means very little, and claimed I was bashing Southern for what I posted. Fitst of all, if a league title means nothing to Southern then how is saying they never won one bashing them? Even though I am not the one who said they hadnt won it. Secondly, you bring up the tradition of Trimble football. Trimble won in the past, but they still win league titles. So there is no comparison.

I smell bad
Varsity

Post by I smell bad »

Since other sports besides basketball have been discussed on this thread I will give you what I know about Trimble sports. These numbers may not be exact, but they are close. In boys basketball Trimble has been to the regional tournament 6 times, including one time in I think 91 when they beat Southern in the District final. In baseball they have been 5 times, maybe 6 to the regional. In golf they have been to the state twice, maybe 3 times and have sent individuals at least 10 times. In track they have had numerous individuals compete in the state meet. In wrestling they have sent two to the state, and numerous to the district. In girls sports they have had 3 regional appearances in basketball, 2 in softball sent several to the state in track and golf. I believe they have had several qualify for the state cross country meet in boys and girls. They have had one state champion in powerlifting, and he set a state record while winning it. These numbers are I am sure not complete, but this gives an idea about the how Trimble has done since that was brought into question. Along with all the above, Trimble has won numerous TVC championships in the various sports. While others in the Hocking division may have indivdual sports that have done better, none have done better overall than Trimble has. As for the importance of league championships, Trimble expects to win the TVC every year in some sports. When they do not it is considered a bad year. The goals include, TVC championship, doing well in the tournaments, undefeated season in that order.

Return to “Boys Basketball”