Mid-season POY SOC I - SOC II

-varsity-
JV Team

Mid-season POY SOC I - SOC II

Post by -varsity- »

Who takes the awards mid-year in both divisions?

Bucknut27
Varsity

Re: Mid-season POY SOC I - SOC II

Post by Bucknut27 »

SOC 2, would probably be Ondera from Oak Hill.

1longtimeviking
Freshman Team

Post by 1longtimeviking »

SOC I has to be Kris Tibbs from Symmes Valley.

BasketballFan1
Riding the Bench

Post by BasketballFan1 »

My vote in the SOC 2 is either Ondera or Harrison Martin from Waverly, he is a stud.

SOC 1 could be a toss up. Maybe Thornsberry from Eastern, they are 1st in the league so that gives him a boost. No one else in the league really stands out right now. Tibbs has had a decent year, but nothing special. Coming in the the season he had to be the odds on favorite to win it.

easternclaw
Waterboy

Post by easternclaw »

I don't know about SOC II, I haven't followed them enough. I do have a pretty good idea in the SOC I though. A lot of people may not realize it, but the big man for eastern, Kevin Montgomery should definitely be POY. I think this is kind of funny because i don't think he takes the game as seriously as some of the other players on that Eastern squad. he seems to have much more fun out there, which can be a good thing, don't get me wrong. i've never seen a stat sheet for this kid, but i would guess he has had a double-double in points and rebs more times than not. he's not a monster blocker, but he gets 1 or 2 just about every game. i wouldn't say he's a "better" post player than wheeler, but man this kid can score! i would guess he's the team's leading scorer now, but i could be wrong. haha he even had a 3 ball at western. if that's not POY material, i don't know what is. good luck eagles. i don't know who picks player of the year, but pay attention to this kid. he's not too flashy and doesn't get a lot of attention, he's never had a breakout 30 point game or 20 reb game, but he's consistent!

MightyOaksFan
SE

Post by MightyOaksFan »

Kyle Ondera Oak Hill

claypantherfan
All State

Post by claypantherfan »

I say Jake kretzler from Waverly for SOC2 (sorry for the spelling if wrong)

For Soc 1 it is a toss up hard to say

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

SOC2 Onedera by a landslide

SOC1 McVey or Thornsberry from Eastern, Valentine of Clay, or Tibbs from Symmes Valley.

If Eastern Pike holds on to win the league, it will be very interesting who gets the award with the Eagles having such a balanced team with no clear "star" player that outshines the others. I guess I would have to give McVey the nod for his defense.

halftime
JV Team

Post by halftime »

Cant be Valentine now because of his suspension them to two games he has to miss is going to kill his chances.

5HDbOy
Riding the Bench

Post by 5HDbOy »

Ondera from Oak Hill-soc2
Kris Tibbs from symmes valley-soc1

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

SOC2 - Ondera as of right now. It usually goes to a player on the league championship team.
It would be hard to argue against Martin from Waverly as well. His absence was sorely missed against South Webster.

TripleDouble
JV Team

Post by TripleDouble »

SOC 2, I'll say Ondera from Oak Hill

SOC 1, is harder to decide. I am not usually one who says the best team in the conference has to have the best player, but since Eastern is already 3 games ahead of everyone else right now. I think the mid season award should come from them. It's a tough call between Montgomery and Mcvey, but I'm going with Montgomery. He leads the team in scoring and I believe rebounds as well. He stays pretty consistent from game to game.

Eagle eye
Waterboy

Post by Eagle eye »

I've only seen Ondera play in the previews, but he was Oak Hill's best player then, and I'm assuming he's the best player now. I pick Ondera for SOC II

Kris Tibbs is a good player, but he's not playing anywhere near the level to win POY on a losing team. At this point, whoever wins the league should have the POY. If Eastern wins, I would have to say I have no idea. You never know who is going to step up for them. Scouting reports are almost useless against this team. If McVey is off, Thornsberry knocks down 10-15 points. If Montgomery is off, Wheeler knocks down 10-15 points. If Lawhorn decides to shoot the ball, he could probably score 10-15 points. Also, the pressure defense of all three guards/forwards is great, and the rebounding ability of both big men is great. I have to agree with tripledouble, though, by selecting Montgomery as the mid-season POY.

soc1fan
Waterboy

Post by soc1fan »

if you go by what team wins the league why do we call it poy????? sv has won the league twice and has never had a poy as for tibbs still has great #s

Eagle eye
Waterboy

Post by Eagle eye »

I don't think it should necessarily go to the winning team. However, my post was that no one is playing on a level where they deserve even it if their team loses. It's like winning MVP in a professional sport. It doesn't always have to go to a player on a winning team, but outstanding players on really bad teams usually don't make the cut. I'm not saying SV is a really bad team, they're actually a really good team. I just don't think Tibbs is such a standout that he should win it while not on the team with the best record. This is just my opinion. That's what these forums are for anyway, right? ;-)

5HDbOy
Riding the Bench

Post by 5HDbOy »

Eagle eye wrote:I don't think it should necessarily go to the winning team. However, my post was that no one is playing on a level where they deserve even it if their team loses. It's like winning MVP in a professional sport. It doesn't always have to go to a player on a winning team, but outstanding players on really bad teams usually don't make the cut. I'm not saying SV is a really bad team, they're actually a really good team. I just don't think Tibbs is such a standout that he should win it while not on the team with the best record. This is just my opinion. That's what these forums are for anyway, right? ;-)

how can you say that Tibbs is not a standout he scores about 17 PPG and about 8 RPG. Also he scored 34 points in a non soc game against coal grove. I want to know your definition on the word standout?

TripleDouble
JV Team

Post by TripleDouble »

If I can vouche for Eagle Eye, I believe what he's saying is, it isn't like Tibbs is putting up 25 a game and almost impossible to deny him the award. With the numbers he has now which is slightly above everyone else, and his team is sitting in 4th in the SOC, its hard to argue that he should get the award. I also thought taylor was avg more ppg than what Tibbs is. I know he was at the half way point when they played Eastern. Going into that game Tibbs was avg 14 ppg and Taylor was avg 17ppg. I remember he had more points that game than what Tibbs did as well.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

5HDbOy wrote:
Eagle eye wrote:I don't think it should necessarily go to the winning team. However, my post was that no one is playing on a level where they deserve even it if their team loses. It's like winning MVP in a professional sport. It doesn't always have to go to a player on a winning team, but outstanding players on really bad teams usually don't make the cut. I'm not saying SV is a really bad team, they're actually a really good team. I just don't think Tibbs is such a standout that he should win it while not on the team with the best record. This is just my opinion. That's what these forums are for anyway, right? ;-)

how can you say that Tibbs is not a standout he scores about 17 PPG and about 8 RPG. Also he scored 34 points in a non soc game against coal grove. I want to know your definition on the word standout?

17pts is very good but not quite POY. The only way I can see Tibbs winning it is if SV somehow pulls out an SOC 1 championship. Team success is always a factor in MVP/POY voting so I dont see how this is any different(When Kobe's team was at the top of the league a few years ago he won the award despite better statistics from a couple other players like Lebron James and Dwayne Wade). Until then my bet goes to one of the players on the Eastern Pike team.

Eagle eye
Waterboy

Post by Eagle eye »

Nicely put, guys. Those comments are exactly what I meant in my statement.

SOCFAN1430
Varsity

Post by SOCFAN1430 »

I agree totally Eagle eye. Derek Lawhorn is a very good player on both sides of the ball and could put up very good numbers. It's just such a talented group, one of the most talented in quite some time.

Return to “Boys Basketball”