Athens Basketball

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Re: Athens Basketball

Post by Daniel Larusso »

Logan plays in the largest school league in southeastern Ohio, and have been a member for over 80 years. The OCC talk is ridiculous. Logan is way too far out of Columbus to ever be accepted into that conference. If OCC teams don't want to drive to Chillicothe or Zanesville what makes people think they will drive to Logan.

As far as Athens goes they are having a great season, and I will give them credit where credit is do. However, to think that the schedule does not have something to do with it is just to be in denial. The OHSAA applies divisions to sports for a reason. In an earlier post I said that there are 4 or 5 teams in the SEOAL better than Athens, and I still believe that. Ironton, Portsmouth, Chillicothe, Warren, and Jackson are all better or on par with Athens. They have all also played much better competition than Athens. This will show when tournament time comes, and Athens is forced play schools their own size. I am in no way bashing Athens. I am just speaking the truth, and as Jack Nicholson would say "some can't handle the truth". The Athens administration has set the kids up for failure outside of the TVC.

By the way Athens had better watch out for a pretty good Vinton County squad this evening.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Athens 58
Vinton County 55 ...

... the dawgs are in the drivers seat in the TVC -Ohio ... 32 point 4th quarter for AHS catches and passes VC to get the W ... Valentour 26 pts/12 rbs ... Pfaff 18 points/15 pts in the 4th to lead the charge ... AHS moves to 14-1 ... Congratulations to Coach Skinner and the Dawgs ! ... with Warrens loss/VC's loss - puts the Dawgs in line to get that all important 2 seed in the Logan Section to stay away from Logan Elm ... possible Convo appearance ... lots and lots to play for coming down the stretch ... next up for Athens - Alex visits the McAfee Gymnasium Tuesday night ...

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

^ Good win for the Bulldogs. Agree on the No. 2 seed.

Pol pot
SE

Post by Pol pot »

Daniel Larusso wrote:Logan plays in the largest school league in southeastern Ohio, and have been a member for over 80 years. The OCC talk is ridiculous. Logan is way too far out of Columbus to ever be accepted into that conference. If OCC teams don't want to drive to Chillicothe or Zanesville what makes people think they will drive to Logan.

As far as Athens goes they are having a great season, and I will give them credit where credit is do. However, to think that the schedule does not have something to do with it is just to be in denial. The OHSAA applies divisions to sports for a reason. In an earlier post I said that there are 4 or 5 teams in the SEOAL better than Athens, and I still believe that. Ironton, Portsmouth, Chillicothe, Warren, and Jackson are all better or on par with Athens. They have all also played much better competition than Athens. This will show when tournament time comes, and Athens is forced play schools their own size. I am in no way bashing Athens. I am just speaking the truth, and as Jack Nicholson would say "some can't handle the truth". The Athens administration has set the kids up for failure outside of the TVC.

By the way Athens had better watch out for a pretty good Vinton County squad this evening.

A lot of smack from a program that got beat by Athens this year. Maybe Athens should start toughening up their schedule by dropping the sub .500 Logan Chiefs?

To the person who made the statement that Athens should play people their size and used PORTSMOUTH as an example. Please get a clue, Portsmouth is a smallish 3 in Basketball, was a 4 in football, and is getting smaller, Portsmouth is not even close to being the biggest school in the County, and is easily the smallest SEOAL team with less than half the student population of Logan.

Logan people should probably worry about getting your own house in order first!

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

In the driver's seat. Keep movin' on dogs. Next up Alexander. Messenger had an AWESOME picture in Sat's paper.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Daniel Larusso wrote:Logan plays in the largest school league in southeastern Ohio, and have been a member for over 80 years. The OCC talk is ridiculous. Logan is way too far out of Columbus to ever be accepted into that conference. If OCC teams don't want to drive to Chillicothe or Zanesville what makes people think they will drive to Logan.

what was that Athens should look out for a pretty goo.......... Oh never mind that pretty good V.C. Squad lost to Athens. Does that mean Vinton County isn't any good?

Daniel Larusso
Varsity

Post by Daniel Larusso »

Orange and Brown wrote:

what was that Athens should look out for a pretty goo.......... Oh never mind that pretty good V.C. Squad lost to Athens. Does that mean Vinton County isn't any good?

No, Vinton County is a fine basketball team.

lefty
Freshman Team

Post by lefty »

Athens H.S. left the SEOAL because they couldn't win, that's the bottom line. Now to hear them talk, they could play anywhere. Come back to the SEOAL & see if you can win!

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Looks like Lefty is an idiot also.

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

they all have "little man syndrome", spartan. real self conscious about something. the only way to make themselves feel better about how small and insignificant they are is to point fingers and draw negative attention to the ones that are bigger and better than them.

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I'm an Athens fan and I still think that we have a solid ball club with some very good talent. However that said if we still played in the S.E.O.A.L. I really do feel that we would be around .500 or just a little above. We'd beat Gallia and Logan twice. We may pick off Portsmouth and Chilly at home, but we would not have the wins we have now. I think the bottom line is that Athens is winning again and that's what they needed. It will help get more kids out for all the sports programs in the school and add to school spirit. I do think we need to drop the Easten and Trimble and pick up a couple quality DII schools for non league games such as a Logan Elm or Warren heck play Ironton even. As far as the tournament draw I feel we should have the 2 seed. Do I think we'll get it? No. I think we'll be a 4 or 5 and at best a 3. I think the S.E.O.A.L. teams will stick together and vote Warren the 2 seed and maybe another team above us no matter how many losses they have. Again Athens is winning again it doesn't that we have almost 400 kids we're winning and that's good for the kids and the community.
Last edited by athens78 on Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

M0TIVAT0R
All Conference

Post by M0TIVAT0R »

athens78 wrote:I'm an Athens fan and I still think that we have a solid ball club with some very good talent. However that said if we still played in the S.E.O.A.L. I really do feel that we would be around .500 or just a little above. We'd beat Gallia and Logan twice. We may pick off Portsmouth and Chilly at home, but we would not have the wins we have now. I think the bottom line is that Athens is winning again and that's what they needed. It will help get more kids out for all the sports programs in the school and add to school spirit. I do think we need to drop the Easten and Trimble and pick up a couple quality DII schools for non league games such as a Logan Elm or Warren heck play Ironton even. As far as the tournament draw I feel we should have the 2 seed. Do I think we'll get it? No. I think we'll be a 4 or 5 and at best a 3. I think the S.E.O.A.L. teams will stick together and vote Warren the 2 seed and maybe another team above us no matter how manner losses they have. Again Athens is winning again it doesn't that we have almost 400 kids we're winning and that's good for the kids and the community.

Finally a voice of reason from an Athens fan. I bet you are not very popular with the folks who say size doesn't matter. :lol: If Athens wants to be assured of a higher seed in the tournament they do need to drop the D 4 teams like you said. But then they will risk not winning as many games. I think the OHSAA needs to get rid of all this division crap anyway and put everyone in the same divisions. After all, the size of the school matters little when it comes to basketball, right? :lol:

hardrock21
JV Team

Post by hardrock21 »

well said athens78, Athens will pull together some winning seasons and get the numbers up and get some enthusium back into the athletic programs at Athens... but now you have to upgrade the competition slowly

WangoZTango
Freshman Team

Post by WangoZTango »

I am curious - how many of the current Athens players started their basketball careers in The Upwards Basketball Program at The Plains United Methodist Church?

Any info would be appreciated....

Upwards Basketball is a fun program that gets the kids and community involved at a young age....

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

So, the main argument is how good would Athens record be if they were still in the SEOAL. No one really knows or can even say that they know due to the fact that you cant compare this squad to the Athens squads of the past. This team, no matter how you want to judge them, are a new and improved team that is no longer playing havoc ball and have gelled quite well. And this is comming from a Vikings fan.

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

Congrats to Coach Skinner and the Athens boy's team. We gave then our best shot twice, twice they beat us. I am not going to belittle anyone from Athens, just because they beat us. They have a good team, we have a good team. Good luck to Coach Skinner & boys the rest of the way. Except if they are paired against the Vikings in post season. Coach Skinner should by all rights, at least be the districts coach of the year. He is a great coach and even better person. He has done an excellant job of turning this program around.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

Space Cowboy/1974Viking - two classy posts - well said gentlemen ...

1974Viking
Varsity

Post by 1974Viking »

Thanks pfloyd. Is it me or does it seem like that all most people want to do is bash each other's team?? I can see if the parents do not show some sportsmanship, how do you expect their boy/girl to act any different. Don't get me wrong, play hard and give it your all. When the games over shake hands and move on. I like seeing a program that has been down, make moves to make themselves better and to be able to compete again. Athens has done this, and the biggest piece of the puzzle has been Coach Skinner.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

1974Viking wrote:Thanks pfloyd. Is it me or does it seem like that all most people want to do is bash each other's team?? I can see if the parents do not show some sportsmanship, how do you expect their boy/girl to act any different. Don't get me wrong, play hard and give it your all. When the games over shake hands and move on. I like seeing a program that has been down, make moves to make themselves better and to be able to compete again. Athens has done this, and the biggest piece of the puzzle has been Coach Skinner.

They should have never gotten rid of coach Skinner in the first place.

turntwo
Waterboy

Post by turntwo »

Orange and Brown wrote:
1974Viking wrote:Thanks pfloyd. Is it me or does it seem like that all most people want to do is bash each other's team?? I can see if the parents do not show some sportsmanship, how do you expect their boy/girl to act any different. Don't get me wrong, play hard and give it your all. When the games over shake hands and move on. I like seeing a program that has been down, make moves to make themselves better and to be able to compete again. Athens has done this, and the biggest piece of the puzzle has been Coach Skinner.

They should have never gotten rid of coach Skinner in the first place.

That is a fact !!!!!

Return to “Boys Basketball”