Athens Basketball

Pol pot
SE

Re: Athens Basketball

Post by Pol pot »

athens78 wrote:I'm an Athens fan and I still think that we have a solid ball club with some very good talent. However that said if we still played in the S.E.O.A.L. I really do feel that we would be around .500 or just a little above. We'd beat Gallia and Logan twice. We may pick off Portsmouth and Chilly at home, but we would not have the wins we have now. I think the bottom line is that Athens is winning again and that's what they needed. It will help get more kids out for all the sports programs in the school and add to school spirit. I do think we need to drop the Easten and Trimble and pick up a couple quality DII schools for non league games such as a Logan Elm or Warren heck play Ironton even. As far as the tournament draw I feel we should have the 2 seed. Do I think we'll get it? No. I think we'll be a 4 or 5 and at best a 3. I think the S.E.O.A.L. teams will stick together and vote Warren the 2 seed and maybe another team above us no matter how many losses they have. Again Athens is winning again it doesn't that we have almost 400 kids we're winning and that's good for the kids and the community.

You are absolutely clueless, and you call yourself a fan of a school yet you even bad mouth and make excusess for a little success. Enough with the jealousy that you kid never saw the field or court once he got to high school and you could not coach him anymore.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

I'm wondering why their are complaints of travel to South Gallia? Most of the Hocking schools already play South Gallia in many of the sports as non-league games anyways. I believe Miller is the only Hocking school that will truly be a "new" opponent for South Gallia. Granted, all the schools haven't played South Gallia in all the sports every year, but still, fans from the Hocking schools should be no stranger to the drive down to South Gallia because you have made that drive many times before.

Even though Wahama is more of a geographic fit for the Hocking than South Gallia, I would think that South Gallia's commitment to being in the TVC longterm would have to be stronger than Wahama's commitment. South Gallia truly had nowhere else to go. Wahama is a West Virginia school and there is no way of knowing what kind of future changes might happen to WV playoff schedules that will potentially conflict with Wahama being in the TVC.

I'm glad Wahama is in the Hocking and think they add strongly needed competition in sports such as football, but we have no way of knowing if a West Virginia school can truly remain committed to an otherwise all-Ohio league for the long haul or if this is just a temporary solution for Wahama, much as was the case with Point Pleasant in their SEOAL days.

Personally, *IF* a school were to leave in the next ten years, I would say Wahama would be more likely to bolt than South Gallia.

NYBuckeye96
SEOPS H

Post by NYBuckeye96 »

Regarding Athens, it looks like life has returned to basketball as it has football. Athens has a packed gym for all their games. I heard the Athens vs. VC game had a HUGE crowd. More proof that the TVC was a good move for the Bulldogs.

It is yet to be seen if the recent success at Athens is a result of playing in the TVC or the result of having a talented group of seniors, but we will find our answer in the coming years. Either way, I do not hear anyone from any TVC schools upset that Athens is in the league. I did not hear one Vinton County fan complain that they lost the league title because Athens is in the league. I've only heard stories of how exciting the two games between VC and Athens were this season. And I have heard excitement in the possibilities of a possible third game at some point in the tournament.

Having Athens in the mix with the league races has really added a new jolt of excitement to the TVC. I still stand by what I have said all along................Athens and the TVC are a good fit for each other. In the coming years, things will all balance out. Sure, Athens will dominate in certain sports, but all of us have our certain sports that we dominate. Overall, things will balance out. Either having a strong Athens team in the TVC will lead to the rest of the TVC playing up to those standards, or Athens will eventually fall to the level of competition that they are playing. Even though Athens is undefeated in basketball, Athens has by no means dominated all of the league games. Athens has had close calls in some of these games that could have gone either way.

I think it is rediculous to still be reading posts bashing Athens for being in the TVC. If Athens is happy and the TVC is happy, what difference does it make to anyone else??? It's time to move on, folks!

Tyler_Durden
Freshman Team

Post by Tyler_Durden »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:Regarding Athens, it looks like life has returned to basketball as it has football. Athens has a packed gym for all their games. I heard the Athens vs. VC game had a HUGE crowd. More proof that the TVC was a good move for the Bulldogs.

It is yet to be seen if the recent success at Athens is a result of playing in the TVC or the result of having a talented group of seniors, but we will find our answer in the coming years. Either way, I do not hear anyone from any TVC schools upset that Athens is in the league. I did not hear one Vinton County fan complain that they lost the league title because Athens is in the league. I've only heard stories of how exciting the two games between VC and Athens were this season. And I have heard excitement in the possibilities of a possible third game at some point in the tournament.

Having Athens in the mix with the league races has really added a new jolt of excitement to the TVC. I still stand by what I have said all along................Athens and the TVC are a good fit for each other. In the coming years, things will all balance out. Sure, Athens will dominate in certain sports, but all of us have our certain sports that we dominate. Overall, things will balance out. Either having a strong Athens team in the TVC will lead to the rest of the TVC playing up to those standards, or Athens will eventually fall to the level of competition that they are playing. Even though Athens is undefeated in basketball, Athens has by no means dominated all of the league games. Athens has had close calls in some of these games that could have gone either way.

I think it is rediculous to still be reading posts bashing Athens for being in the TVC. If Athens is happy and the TVC is happy, what difference does it make to anyone else??? It's time to move on, folks!

outstanding. very well written.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

Trimble did not play SG. Travel was not the only reason, but it is a good one. Miller has played them before, and travel was one of the reasons they stopped. SG is a bad fit for the TVC. They bring nothing now that Wahama is there. As for P.P., I thought they were in the SEOAL for a long while, but I could be wrong. I guess if Wahama does leave, SG being in will make it an even number. So I guess they do bring that to offer. But that is only if Wahama or someone else drops out.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

As for Athens, I haven't seen a lot of bashing. If you think saying they are playing a weaker schedule than they were when they were losing is bashing then you need to rip the AD or whoever schedules the games. Myself and others who point that out are only speaking the truth. So don't shoot the messenger. :122249

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

South Gallia has avoided playing Trimble in football becuase they don't want their athletes getting pounded and not being able to play the next week. I am hoping these two play in the last week of the season so SG fans, coaches, and administrators can rest easy about the health of their team as it won't matter after week 10 anyway. :mrgreen:

Wahama really has no reason to ever leave the TVC. Point Pleasant ran out on the SEO for the same reason Athens took the "cut and run" approach. They couldn't win consistently. Wahama will be in the top 2 or 3 every year in football and will probably win it 3 or 4 teams per decade. Trust me when I say, SG is much more likely to mimic Athens than Wahama is.......

athens78
All State

Post by athens78 »

I think the only schools to play South Gallia recently has been Southern and Eastern. Of course they are a lot closer to them then anyone else.

Pol Pot your lost.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

HowardCosell wrote:South Gallia has avoided playing Trimble in football becuase they don't want their athletes getting pounded and not being able to play the next week. I am hoping these two play in the last week of the season so SG fans, coaches, and administrators can rest easy about the health of their team as it won't matter after week 10 anyway. :mrgreen:

Wahama really has no reason to ever leave the TVC. Point Pleasant ran out on the SEO for the same reason Athens took the "cut and run" approach. They couldn't win consistently. Wahama will be in the top 2 or 3 every year in football and will probably win it 3 or 4 teams per decade. Trust me when I say, SG is much more likely to mimic Athens than Wahama is.......

....and why are you posting this here?

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

HC and 78 you two better watch what you say or some of these cronies will accuse us three of being buddies.

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

NYBuckeye96 wrote:I'm wondering why their are complaints of travel to South Gallia? Most of the Hocking schools already play South Gallia in many of the sports as non-league games anyways. I believe Miller is the only Hocking school that will truly be a "new" opponent for South Gallia. Granted, all the schools haven't played South Gallia in all the sports every year, but still, fans from the Hocking schools should be no stranger to the drive down to South Gallia because you have made that drive many times before.

Even though Wahama is more of a geographic fit for the Hocking than South Gallia, I would think that South Gallia's commitment to being in the TVC longterm would have to be stronger than Wahama's commitment. South Gallia truly had nowhere else to go. Wahama is a West Virginia school and there is no way of knowing what kind of future changes might happen to WV playoff schedules that will potentially conflict with Wahama being in the TVC.

I'm glad Wahama is in the Hocking and think they add strongly needed competition in sports such as football, but we have no way of knowing if a West Virginia school can truly remain committed to an otherwise all-Ohio league for the long haul or if this is just a temporary solution for Wahama, much as was the case with Point Pleasant in their SEOAL days.

Personally, *IF* a school were to leave in the next ten years, I would say Wahama would be more likely to bolt than South Gallia.

I will answer this one for you HC my good buddy. This is why O&B. :lol:

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

Orange and Brown wrote:
HowardCosell wrote:South Gallia has avoided playing Trimble in football becuase they don't want their athletes getting pounded and not being able to play the next week. I am hoping these two play in the last week of the season so SG fans, coaches, and administrators can rest easy about the health of their team as it won't matter after week 10 anyway. :mrgreen:

Somebody was discussing this very subject on a previous page. Unlike you, I have things to say worth reading at times......Why do you care anyway. You guys at Nelsonville have Kevin Meade leading the way and will prolly win your division most years. Don't worry, Be Happy!

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

HowardCosell wrote:Athens orta go undefeated most years in most sports considering that they are a muskie in a school of guppies...Now it just comes down to where do they go in the tournament cuz they got no competition in the league......

CUT AND RUN!

So Im to assume that you believe Alexander, Vinton County, Belpre, and (as of late) Nelsonville-York are not considered worthy competition? :roll:

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

HowardCosell wrote:
Orange and Brown wrote:

Somebody was discussing this very subject on a previous page. Unlike you, I have things to say worth reading at times......Why do you care anyway. You guys at Nelsonville have Kevin Meade leading the way and will prolly win your division most years. Don't worry, Be Happy!

You have nothing to say worth reading. The only reason you post on here is to start crap. You and only you and god knows how many other user names you have created are nothing but a joke.

The Doughboy
Waterboy

Post by The Doughboy »

Since this is the Athens Basketball thread I found out something interesting that the Athens fans may be interested to know.

Word has it that the Athens Freshman Boys team will not play in their league tournament, after winning just 1 game in the league (Two more league games left). I understand going to Parkersburg two times for the tourny isn't cheap. However they should know that when you enter the league. This isn't a good way to teach your young players to never give up...maybe things like this are to credit why Athens has struggled in the past few years.

just a thought

Gib25
Varsity

Post by Gib25 »

I must be out of the loop. Why would the TVC play their 9th grade tournament in Parkersburg? Is this just a open freshman tournament?

The Doughboy
Waterboy

Post by The Doughboy »

Athens 9th grade is in the Mid Ohio Valley League. The Elite Sports Center hosted the preview games and the tournament this year. This league consists of Warren, Parkersburg, Ripley, Marietta, Parkersburg South and Athens themselves. According to the website Ripley, Marietta and South will all get the bad end of the deal due to Athens not playing, which is unfortunate because I'm sure these teams have worked to put themselves in the best posistion possible.

more information on the league if interested: http://elite-sports-center.ezleagues.ez ... eague.aspx

Howard Cosell
All Conference

Post by Howard Cosell »

....and why are you posting this here?[/quote]

Somebody was discussing this very subject on a previous page. Unlike you, I have things to say worth reading at times......Why do you care anyway. You guys at Nelsonville have Kevin Meade leading the way and will prolly win your division most years. Don't worry, Be Happy![/quote]

You have nothing to say worth reading. The only reason you post on here is to start crap. You and only you and god knows how many other user names you have created are nothing but a joke.[/quote]

I wouldnt know how anyone would have more than one username on here but if you want to tell us all how you did it that would be interesting.....

Spartan
All Conference

Post by Spartan »

Here is a thought.. Nobody at Athens cares what you think doughboy.

trickdawg12
Waterboy

Post by trickdawg12 »

I don't post much on these forums. As a matter of fact, it has been so long that I've forgotten my previous username and password and had to create a new one (or maybe the usernames are reset after a long period of inactivity?). I'm not hiding. I've posted in the past as some form of the username trickdawg or goldspark and I've generally been pretty supportive of Meigs High School and the people I came into contact with during my time there.

With that being said, this mentality that has seemed to take hold in SouthEastern Ohio concerning Athens becoming part of the Tri Valley Conference is a bit disappointing to me to say the least.

First and foremost . . . wasn't Athens voted into the TVC by the member schools? From that question alone, I'm confused about the frustration with their presence.

Secondly, I don't think there was much fear of Athens sports over the past 10 or 15 years. I know when I was in school, we didn't view them as a powerhouse by any means and I'm pretty sure that was the general perception well after I graduated.

Finally, to assume that making comments in regards to the way Athens "should" be better and "should" be winning in the conference doesn't cheapen the effort that the athletes of that school put forth ALONG WITH the effort that the athletes of the neighboring schools put forth would be careless.

You can take this post however you want. I'm not trying to be anybody's "daddy" and I'm definitely not out to make a bunch of enemies. I guess my point is that I feel based on experience, there is too much pride in the schools of the TVC to accept this mentality. A mentality that I personally associate with that of a loser.

Being a huge supporter of Meigs High School baseball, I sure hope Coach Grimm won't be conditioning his players to think that they've been dealt some sort of unfair hand. Instead, I expect him to coach them on the opportunity to compete and succeed just like he does every other year.

There is more at stake in situations like these than season records and conference championships. We should be careful as to the message we are sending our children as it will affect them long after league titles have been awarded.

Return to “Boys Basketball”