Who It's For

jchitwood
All State

Who It's For

Post by jchitwood »

I love high school basketball. I love my hometown, and my hometown team. I love the kids that put on the uniform and represent my town. I love seeing people at ball games I haven't seen for years, smelling the popcorn and watching little kids run wild outside the gym, while two towns go crazy cheering for their teams on the hardwood.

We all love these things, and sometimes we love the game so much we start to think it's about us, the fans. It's not. It's about the kids. It's all for the kids. Not just the kids that wear the uniform, but the ones in the stands, in the classrooms. It's their school, not ours, and sometimes we lose track of that.

So much nonsense gets thrown around about what players wear, or the music they play at games, or...well the list can go on and on. Then something happens that puts it all in perspective. When a Peebles player's father passed away this week, the outpouring of prayers and sympathy from everyone on SEOP was staggering.

Every single kid on these teams, whether its Peebles or North Adams or Wheelersburg or Ironton (etc.), loves this game. They feel immense pride when they put on the uniform with the name of their hometown written across it. It's not about us. It's about them.

shljunkie
Varsity

Re: Who It's For

Post by shljunkie »

very very well said chitwood!

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

It took a close friend of mine's little boy getting cancer to put it in perspective.

gametime
SE

Post by gametime »

jchitwood wrote:I love high school basketball. I love my hometown, and my hometown team. I love the kids that put on the uniform and represent my town. I love seeing people at ball games I haven't seen for years, smelling the popcorn and watching little kids run wild outside the gym, while two towns go crazy cheering for their teams on the hardwood.

We all love these things, and sometimes we love the game so much we start to think it's about us, the fans. It's not. It's about the kids. It's all for the kids. Not just the kids that wear the uniform, but the ones in the stands, in the classrooms. It's their school, not ours, and sometimes we lose track of that.

So much nonsense gets thrown around about what players wear, or the music they play at games, or...well the list can go on and on. Then something happens that puts it all in perspective. When a Peebles player's father passed away this week, the outpouring of prayers and sympathy from everyone on SEOP was staggering.

Every single kid on these teams, whether its Peebles or North Adams or Wheelersburg or Ironton (etc.), loves this game. They feel immense pride when they put on the uniform with the name of their hometown written across it. It's not about us. It's about them.

NICE POST !!!!!!!!!

cheer 'em on
Riding the Bench

Post by cheer 'em on »

Amen, jimmy. Well said. You are absolutely correct, the kids, both on and off the floor, should be our first priority.

Chieftan
Riding the Bench

Post by Chieftan »

Great post, couldn't agree more jchitwood

Main Man
Freshman Team

Post by Main Man »

darn your on it......How true.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

Outstanding Post!

oldtrojan
All State
Location: Misplaced in Northeastern,Pa rooting for the Reds, Buckeyes, Bengals, and Trojans.

Post by oldtrojan »

A 3 ball at the buzzer Jimmy, VERY NICE POST!!!!!

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

:aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41 :aaaaa41

Return to “Boys Basketball”