SE District Div IV Champ

Myra Fleener
Riding the Bench

SE District Div IV Champ

Post by Myra Fleener »

Who will come out of the SE district to play the winner of the central district? Doesn't seem like there's a clear favorite yet. Thoughts?

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Re: SE District Div IV Champ

Post by TribeManiac10 »

South Webster? Manchester? Fairfield? One of the Easterns? Racine Southern?

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Best guesses: Reedsville Eastern and South Webster

Could make a run of things: Manchester, Eastern Pike, Southern, Whiteoak, Fairfield

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

I think Reedsville Eastern can make a nice run this year.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Eastern has to more than likely face at least one of those I mentioned.....any of which they are the favorite

but Manchester with their big guy Blevins won AT Ironton....so they can beat anyone. Fairfield gets at it defensively and plays a tough schedule and have beat Manchester by 10 and Whiteoak just got edged by a very talented HIllsboro team and have already defeated Fairfield @ Fairfield by 22 and are 1-1 vs Manchester.

I think Whiteoak has the highest ceiling of the 3 with Manchester being right with them.

jeepmadness
JV Team

Post by jeepmadness »

Districts will be fun to watch for sure.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

jeepmadness wrote:Districts will be fun to watch for sure.

I agree Jeepmadness. With Lucasville and Wellston only sending 2 teams each to District play, the Sectional finals this season will be as strong as the District semis were in past years.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

I haven't seen the TVC schools Eastern and Racine, but Eastern Pike plays good defense but they have trouble scoring sometimes. Manchester plays very little defense. I like Webster and sounds like White Oak is starting to play some really good ball. Should be some great tournament action. I'm ready, let's go!

arrowman
Riding the Bench

Post by arrowman »

Reedsville is returning several players that have a couple years of district experience. I have not seen them play yet, but I would still pick the Eagles based on what I saw the past two years. Coach Caldwell, has been building this squad for a big run, I would place them as a state contender.

iwearblacknikes
S

Post by iwearblacknikes »

southern or south webster

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

i doubt that racine southern will be able to beat any of the three shl teams, fairfield, manchester, or whiteoak. i would bet that two of these three will meet each other early in the sectional thanks to the number of soc coaches voting.

Out of Bounds
Varsity

Post by Out of Bounds »

Sorry, but I think you guys give Manchester way too much credit. They are a talented team, but to make any type of a tourny run, you gotta play defense. They don't and the Southern team under Caldwell will. I'll take the tornadoes in that match up.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Agree with Out of Bounds.

Manchester has a nice win over Ironton. I bet if they played 9 more times Ironton would win every meeting. The Greyhounds may not make it out of the sectional. I have seen the greyhounds twice and left ot impressed with their use of the talent on the team. Very little defense is played. In the tournament, you may not be able to outscore everyone.

As to all the talk about Southern (I support Coach Caldwell!), they are not world beaters this season. They have a weak conf (other than Reedsville) schedule and an even weaker non-conference schedule(Wahama, S.Gallia, etc.). Southern may or may not make it out of the sectional as they will likely have to beat either E.Reedsville, Eastern-Pike, or Symmes Valley to make the Districts. I am not saying Southern isn't capable of winning but they certainly could lose to any of those teams IMHO.

If you are talking defense, Eastern Pike should be getting some discussion.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

neither beat North Adams

Manchester defeating Ironton at Ironton just keeps them alive versus anyone.

I still believe any of the teams I mentioned can run together enough to make the regionals, sure some have a higher % than others....but come tourney time who knows. Whiteoak hasn't pieced together a lot of wins in a row either, but they've played a solid schedule with great balance of tough games and "should" win games. It's just one at a time.

I still say that Manchester, Whiteoak, Fairfield, Southern, Eastern Pike are the only D4 teams that can knock of South Webster or Eastern.....and probably 4 of those 5 teams will face each other in the sectional....and on given nights thsoe 5 teams could lose to teams like Green, Clay and Symmes Valley.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

and the Manchester losing to Ironton 9 of 10 times....I agree but if you told me that Ironton would be ahead by 14 at home and lose 1 out of 10 to Manchester...I wouldn't believe it....but it's true.

The same Ironton team that was down to Chillicothe by 23 and came back to win.

Wins like those say a lot about "heart"......that can go a long way in tourney as well

celticpride
Freshman Team

Post by celticpride »

Both Easterns would be favorites in the Wellston sectional, but Symmes is talented and Southern can be dangereous, they just have some consistency issues. They have beat a good D3 Federal Hocking team (9-6) twice in their conference. Losing to Wahama was a disappointment after beating them by 35 the first time, but Wahama is 8-6 (according to the paper), so they are not the worst team around. Southern has a make-up game with Symmes yet to be played and is supposed to play Chesapeake Saturday night, which doesn't look good according to weather forecasts. Also Southern beat D3 River Valley twice who played South Point tough last week losing only by 5. They still have to play Trimble twice who has won 9 of their last 11. I've seen Southern play several times and I think they are good, just don't know how good.
South Webster should come out at Valley, but who the other team will be is hard to say. I think those SHL schools could beat anybody and wouldn't be shocked if one of them made it to the district finals or beyond.

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

Will be some real interesting games in D4 sectionals due to only getting one spot at Regionals this year. I think there are 7 teams who could potentially come out of this region with Reedsville Eastern and South Webster being the current favorites.

sparky: yep...SOC I schools in Valley Sectional will match two of those SHL teams as the #4 and #5 seeds ultimately facing #1 Webster (although everybody here knows that no SOC I school should be higher than a #5 seed in that Sectional regardless what the records are).*

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

art,
maybe a couple of soc coaches will get bitten by the integrity bug before the vote and things will go as they really should in the seedings.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

Here is my opinion of the top D-4 teams as of right now.

1.South Webster
2.Reedsville Eastern
3.Eastern Pike
4.Fairfield
5.Manchester
6.Whiteoak
7.Racine Southern
8.Symmes Valley
9.Green/Clay
10.Dont really matter because they wont make it very deep anyway

Return to “Boys Basketball”