SOC II Coach of the Year

soccerfix
Varsity

SOC II Coach of the Year

Post by soccerfix »

Although we have a national coach of the year in our midst, I feel the new coach from South Webster deserves it this year. No one picked the jeeps to be where they are now.

dimedrop4
All State

Re: SOC II Coach of the Year

Post by dimedrop4 »

Either Coach Persin from Oak Hill, or Coach Ater from Webster. Both have done marvelous jobs with their ball clubs.

eaglegrad
Riding the Bench

Post by eaglegrad »

If Waverly wins tonight against South Webster, Then you would have to consider Robertson from Waverly as well. They would be ahead of SW in league standings.

Persin and Ater are good choices as well.

Bucknut27
Varsity

Post by Bucknut27 »

With the expectations from last year and what he has done so far this year, Norm Persin is the hands down Coach of the Year. With that being said, there is still alot of ball to be played. SW coach and Waverly's coach both stand a good chance.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

It all depends on how the season ends.
If Waverly wins out you could make a strong case for Robertson, having split games with Oak Hill.
If Oak Hill wins out I'd imagine it will go to Persin, having an undefated league record.
South Webster's Ater could be in the running as well but the Jeeps need to finish strong for him to win it over Persin or Robertson.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

Persin and Robertson are both good coaches but everyone had them winning the league or at least upper echelon of the division. Ater has brought Webster from the bottom of the league to the top. No one predicted this before the season started. I"m not real smart but I think I could take 3 players from a state championship team and win. How much coaching did Fred Taylor do with Lucas and Havilcek? I'm sure he got coach of the year too.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

soccerfix wrote:Persin and Robertson are both good coaches but everyone had them winning the league or at least upper echelon of the division. Ater has brought Webster from the bottom of the league to the top. No one predicted this before the season started. I"m not real smart but I think I could take 3 players from a state championship team and win. How much coaching did Fred Taylor do with Lucas and Havilcek? I'm sure he got coach of the year too.

I would give it to Ater also.

flash
JV Team

Post by flash »

South Webster new Head Coach has done a great job.
and should win coach of the year hands down.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

I would rank the 3 leaders this way (all have done a great job)

1. Ater-nobody expected Webster to be in the conversation this late in the year). Amazing tournaround and makes you think the Jeeps greatly underachieved last season.

2. Persin-lost size and best shooters from last season and yet has really dominated the league.

3. Robertson-greatly improved season, but has more firepower on this team than Webster or Oak Hill.

Again, just my humble opinion. It may come down to who finishes league play strong over the next week.

soc2fan
Riding the Bench

Post by soc2fan »

Eaglesnest wrote:I would rank the 3 leaders this way (all have done a great job)

1. Ater-nobody expected Webster to be in the conversation this late in the year). Amazing tournaround and makes you think the Jeeps greatly underachieved last season.

2. Persin-lost size and best shooters from last season and yet has really dominated the league.

3. Robertson-greatly improved season, but has more firepower on this team than Webster or Oak Hill.

Again, just my humble opinion. It may come down to who finishes league play strong over the next week.

what a great post and could not agree more :aaaaa59

eaglegrad
Riding the Bench

Post by eaglegrad »

Nobody expected Valley to finish like they did last year either, but Villinger did not win coach of the year. Besides, everyone knew that SW was going to be good this year. Would not have mattered if Ater was there or not.

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

If the Oaks remain unbeaten it would be hard to dispute an undefeated conference Championship and National Coach of the Year.

Coach Persin will more than likely add another award to his wall.

jeep80
Varsity

Post by jeep80 »

eaglegrad wrote:Besides, everyone knew that SW was going to be good this year. Would not have mattered if Ater was there or not.

They did?
Who is this "everyone" you are talking about. Is this the same "everyone" predicting South Webster to finish in the bottom 3 of the league?

JohnKnight
Varsity

Post by JohnKnight »

Pretty sure in the SOC, The coach of the team that wins the Conference is almost always the COY.

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

It would be really hard to consider Ater now that the Tigers manhandled the Jeeps tonight. You don't finish 3rd in the league and pick up COY awards.
I agree with Eaglesnest as well, Waverly probably has the most firepower, and is probably the most talented team (player for player) of any team in the league, but due to their hiccup against S.W. Robertson will probably not get the nod.

BigOrangeOne
S

Post by BigOrangeOne »

JohnKnight wrote:Pretty sure in the SOC, The coach of the team that wins the Conference is almost always the COY.

:) :) :)

smurray
SEOPS HO

Post by smurray »

I guess being the National Coach of the Year allows you to set your own schedule as well. Robertson wanted to play the make up game with Oak Hill, AT WAVERLY, tomorrow night (Saturday 13th) but Stormin Normin Persin refused to play it then. Waverly and Oak Hill sitting at home tomorrow night while they both have games to make up. Waverly wanted to get it in before the tournament seeding on Sunday but Norm didn't want the risk of a loss to knock the Oaks out of the #1 seed. The SOC needs to come up with some kind of scheduling rule rather than leaving it up to the coaches. No reason to wait until next Saturday to play it.

soccerfix
Varsity

Post by soccerfix »

JohnKnight wrote:Pretty sure in the SOC, The coach of the team that wins the Conference is almost always the COY.

Why vote?

soc2fan
Riding the Bench

Post by soc2fan »

Yeah why even have a vote

Hoggy
SEOP

Post by Hoggy »

soccerfix wrote:

Why vote?

I believe that is why he used the word "almost".

It would be interesting to see the percentage rate of selection for COY when the team wins the league as compared to a coach that did not win the league.

Return to “Boys Basketball”