Jackson 71 - Vinton County 68 (Final - OT) 2/20

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Jackson 71 - Vinton County 68 (Final - OT) 2/20

Post by Ironman92 »

Any thoughts?

VC seems to be playing very well but have to go to Wellston Friday night.

Jackson has been up and down all year. They have shown a high ceiling and a deep basement. They lost to Chillicothe tonight at Chilly 68-46. Coach Jordan kinda ripped their efforts so he wasn't happy how the game went.

Can Jackson hang with VC on senior night?

Some common opponents:

Wellston.....Jackson barely edged and VC won handily.
Athens.......Jackson defeated handily......VC lost 2 extremely close ones
Logan.......Jackson beat twice by about 10 points and VC lost by about 10 I think.

It appears Jackson isn't going to make up their game with Unioto according to the radio. I certainly have no actual numbers....but in my guesstimation Dylan Newsome of Jackson has to be nearing the magic 1,000 point total. If I'm right I sure hope he doesn't end his career with like 980 points and Jackson not make up their 20th regular season game at some point. I know this is a team thing...but Jackson has only had 4 players reach 1,000 points while about 6 or 7 shoulda, coulda, woulda but things happen.

I'm totally guessing....but I'd say Newsome has around 925-950 career points. 942 if I was playing the pick 3

Anyone know? keyser?

Hitchbone64
All Conference

Re: Jackson @ Vinton County 2/20

Post by Hitchbone64 »

ironman92,

Jackson looked good in spurts tonight and if they play to their potential, they will handle VC. Newsome does not get the credit he deserves. He single handedly kept Jackson in the game tonight. He also opens up things for the others on the perimeter. If your big #25 can play at a 10 pt 10 rebound game, you guys are tough to beat. He can create an inside/outside deal. London was just to tough on the defensive end tonight, but you will not see anybody that good defensively anytime soon.

Good Luck against VC...

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Jackson has played great at times this season and definatly has the potential to beat VC...but to say they will handle them is a bit of a stretch...VC has been beaten 4 times this season and hasnt been handled by anyone. They lost to Athens twice by a combined total of 5 points, Zane Trace by 1 point and Logan by 10 in a much closer game than the score indicated. To the credit of the Vikings, they have been playing their BEST ball as of late, taking down a decent Nelsonville York team, a good Alexander team, and a very good Piketon team. With it being Senior night at McArthur, the Vikings will be ready to play. I think Jackson will have a great chance if they hit their 3's and get the inside game working...but with the seniors playing their final game at VCHS, i think they will come out on top. Not sure on the exact number, but I think this group of seniors have only lost around 5 games at home in their 4 years @VC. Jackson does have a big upside when they play well...I had this game marked as the 5th toughest game going into this season..

My preseason top 5 toughest matchups for VC were...

1.Piketon- VC won 67-53

2.Zane Trace- VC lost 46-45

3.Athens- VC lost 53-51 and 58-55

4.Logan- VC lost 61-51

5.Jackson-???

VC has won every other game not in my top 5.

jottings
SEOPS H

Post by jottings »

Hitchbones...Who won the Jackson-Chillicothe reserve game? thanks.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Hitchbones, Maybe you should have taken the time to look at the posts on Vinton Countys last 4 games. This team is on fire. Dyl Guthrie is playing, IMO, better than he has ever played.
VC by 12+

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

Five super athletes, and better youngmen, will be playing thier last Basketball game as a Viking in the Viking gym Sat. night.
Look for them to be pumped. I wish them all well in thier future edeavors.
GO ANDY
GO TAYLOR
GO STEVEN
GO ETHAN
GO BABY DLY (My "little" nephew
)

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

the last several senior nights I have seen have been rough on the seniors being honored ....being too pumped could cause early foul trouble and poor shooting for sure.

VC will be fine...Jackson will play better or at least more intense than they did Thursday night.

Hey Dundas...see how the wording of things kinda gets to ya! lol I knew as soon as I read that sentence that he was gonna get a comeback.

I still have trouble believing Logan beat you guys more than any other team on your schedule....I guess Jackson actually matched up good with them. Warren, Ironton, Portsmouth all had similar trouble pulling away from Logan.

I think this will be a good game.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Well, Wellston didn't help us by wearing them down much.

VC is at the top of their game right now it appears. Jackson better get up for this game. This game could be a nice tourney momentum gainer for the Ironmen...Waverly lost ugly tonight to Northwest. If we play ugly at VC......I don't see us having much of a chance Tuesday.

93Bulldog
SEOPS HOF

Post by 93Bulldog »

http://trivalleyconference.com/ has been updated after all of Friday's games - and has gone through a few changes ...

All the boys/girls tournament information can be found at http://trivalleyconference.com/Schedules.html

thx ... Nice job Vikings & good luck up in Logan next week!

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

Ironman92 wrote:the last several senior nights I have seen have been rough on the seniors being honored ....being too pumped could cause early foul trouble and poor shooting for sure.

VC will be fine...Jackson will play better or at least more intense than they did Thursday night.

Hey Dundas...see how the wording of things kinda gets to ya! lol I knew as soon as I read that sentence that he was gonna get a comeback.

I still have trouble believing Logan beat you guys more than any other team on your schedule....I guess Jackson actually matched up good with them. Warren, Ironton, Portsmouth all had similar trouble pulling away from Logan.

I think this will be a good game.

When at Logan the Vikes played about as bad as they could possibly play. Like Jackson vs Northwest, maybe.
That was one of the few road games I was able to go to this year.
Could be a good game, but if Vikes combine the offense they been playing lately with thier usually always great defense (1 exception Belpre @ McArthur), they should have little trouble.
GO VIKES

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Jackson led this game 53-43 with about 3 minutes to go. VC began fouling and sending the Ironmen to the line. Jackson missed three straight front ends of a 1-and-1, but was able to hit a few free throws in the final minute. VC trailed by 3 with just 4 seconds left and hit a three to send it to OT. Grillo and Christman have fouled out.

Jackson leads in OT 64-62 with under 2 minutes remaining.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

A questionable technical was called on VC's Ward for "pulling his jersey out and throwing it over his head" according to the radio guys, which I believe led to one made free throw for the Ironmen.

Jackson missing free throws left and right.

Score is 64-64.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Two made free throws for Jackson to make it 66-64.

Dobbins going to the line for two more.

Makes both. 68-64 Ironmen. I have no idea how much time left.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Winchester with the steal for Jackson.

Newsom is fouled ang goes to the line.

Misses the first one, makes the second. 69-64 Jackson.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Chesser nails a three for VC to make it 69-67.

Timeout. Still no clue how much time left.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Steal by VC somehow. Vikings goin to the line for two.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

First one is good.

Second one is no good.

Newsome to the line for Jackson with the Ironmen leading 69-68.

Still no idea how much time left.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

10.3 seconds to go.

Newsom makes the first, makes the second. 71-68 Jackson.

Chesser takes a three...radio guys say he may have been fouled, but no call.

JACKSON WINS IT 71-68.

Newsom had to have had 30 or more for the Ironmen.

ironman02
SEOP

Post by ironman02 »

Congrats to Jackson on the win.

Tough loss for the Vikes on Senior Night. They played a heck of a game though and never gave up, even down 10 late in regulation.

dimedrop4
All State

Re: Jackson 71 - Vinton County 68 (Final - OT) 2/20

Post by dimedrop4 »

Congrats Ironmen

Return to “Boys Basketball”