Vinton County vs. Logan Elm ..DII Sectional Final @ Logan HS

Dundas
SEOPS

Vinton County vs. Logan Elm ..DII Sectional Final @ Logan HS

Post by Dundas »

Game is set for Saturday night at 7pm. The Braves are coming in after a dominating win over New Lex...VC won a thriller vs Sheridan to advance to the Sectional Final. This is the 7th year in a row for VC being in a Sectional Championship game...I believe they are 4-2 in that span. With wins over Athens, Warren, New Lex x2...and Losses to Gallia and Logan Elm. Logan Elm im sure has a longer streak than 7 sectional championship game appearances. Logan Elm is the team to beat in SEO and a Viking win would definatly be an upset. VC has been in each game they have lost this season and it will take their best effort to uppend the Braves. Lets hear some chatter!!

Space Cowboy
SEO

Re: Vinton County vs. Logan Elm ..DII Sectional Final @ Logan HS

Post by Space Cowboy »

Im kinda interested to read what 93Bulldog and Pfloyd have to post on this game.
Logan Elm is undoubtedly the favorite, going into this one, but the Viking squad can go toe to toe with anyone, when they are hot.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

VC has been in each game thus far this season and I look for the same this Saturday...It will be all about matchups in this one..Both teams have shooters, and a big man down low...I think it will come down to which big man plays the best. VC beat Sheridan with clutch shooting from Ward and Lawhead and Grillo finished it out at the end being the leader that he is. I think if VC can keep it close...they have the weapons to come out on top...but they will have to keep it close first. It should be great! VC probably wont be givin much of a chance to win (and rightfully so). So I think the pressure is on Logan Elm...can they handle it...obviously they can...They have been beaten this year though...anything can happen!

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Dundas, Is Logan Elms center the same young man that was center last year?

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Yes..Hauserman (SP). I caught the second half of their district simi game last season and he is a BIG body kid...Similar to Guthrie...but a bit taller I think. Probably the same speed as Guthrie...so it will come down to position and who gets their turnaround shot going. Guard wise...im not sure what they have..I know they lost Aman and Congrove from last years team (two GREAT players) but its Logan Elm...Im sure they had a stocked pond on the bench last year...LoganElmGrad will have all the info for us im sure! One thing i have noticed about Logan Elm posters is that they are fair and seem to be very informative and knowledgable..This should be a great thread to read up untill the game! VC will have to be ready to play...Hopfully Allen's hip heals up a bit before Saturday..were really missing his rebounding ability. Ward has to step up and knock down some treys and Grillo HAS to be more productive on the offensive end. Lawhead picked up the slack tonight...If VC plays an entire game like they played the 4th quarter against Jackson, they will be fine..and it will be close. The Vikings have the ability to pull this one out...but have been VERY inconsistant this season..Some games they look like they could beat anyone..some not so hot. Listining to their attitudes during the seinors interviews on the radio tonight...they sounded very inthusiastic about getting the chance to play the best (Logan Elm)...they sound up to the Challenge and not intimidated at all..I think the win over Piketon really helped their mental aspect. In recent years VC has been known to fail against the best...Piketon last year is an example...and this year they beat them by a decent margine...I think that was a KEY win for VC this season...VC knows they can win...its just a matter of doing it.

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Logan Elm wins by 10+!

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

bvmv4life wrote:Logan Elm wins by 10+!

Im sure you wont be the last to predict that. Would'nt be a surprise for Logan Elm to win by 10 or more...but I think with VC being a senior lead team that was a ton of tournament experience..it could be close.

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Hauserman has a little more height than Guthrie and their speed matches up fairly even, but I would say that Guthrie is probably more athletic and probably stronger. IMO,Guthrie and Hauserman will probably split rebounds fairly evenly. Allen will be needed for VC, but one thing I have noticed about VC, for the past several seasons, is that it seems if someone is out hurt or sick, somebody else seems to step up and fill the void. Only problem here is that against Logan Elm, everybody has to be ready to step up. I could see VC playing a full court press, this game. Thats something they rarely do, but they need to consider points off steals. If nothing else, this will slow down Logan Elm from dictating the pace of the game.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

Very true..They had a very good press against Sheridan...Although I think VC would be better off if its an up tempo game...I have heard that Logan Elm likes to play zone...VC has had fits with the zone at times this season...but they have seemed to be shooting the outside shot much better as of late...I think VC has a shot, but they have to play their best game of the year to pull it out...I cant wait!! Hauserman is a very good player...Guthrie has been dominate at times this season. I think VC comes in with no pressure as they will be the underdog..That has to help them out somewhat. VC came into the second Athens game as the underdog and took them to the woodshed for the first 30 minutes of the game..only to lose by terrible freethrow shooting...It will be a good one!!

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

Dundas, I should have worded that a little better. I didnt so much mean that VC should slow the game down. Matter of fact, quite the opposite. I meant that the full court press, with the potential that VC has shown for steals would hurt LEs potential of dictating the pace for most of the game.

lostgeneral
Riding the Bench

Post by lostgeneral »

Logan Elm can come at you from behind the arc or inside. I have seen both teams. Vinton will have to show a whole lot more than they did against Sheridan. LE's guards are much better than Sheridans were. They didn't play much zone in the games I saw. It could be close but Iwould be somewhat surprised if it is.

AxGrinder
Freshman Team

Post by AxGrinder »

This Athens Fan is cheering on VC. Go Vikes

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

This will be a chance for Logan Elm to play four good quarters against a solid Vinton County team. Logan Elm had a really poor third quarter against New Lexington that can't happen in the future.

Should be a good crowd at the Jim Myers Gym on Saturday between two programs who are used to winning.

VIKED_MAN
Varsity

Post by VIKED_MAN »

Logan Elm or Vinton County (especially VC) did not play well Wed. :122246
New Lex has to be one of the worst boys basketball team I have seen in a long time, and they beat Marrietta (didn't watch).
Very weak in all areas of the game. If they knew how to box out and finish underneath, they had a chance to get back in the game in the 3rd qtr.
As for Sheridan, they need a point guard! # 12 is a good player, but a far cry from being a point guard. Everytime the Vikes got two defenders on him he threw the ball away except once which was almost stolen by Ward.
I guess I trying to say, one cannot judge either one of these teams based on the way they played Wed night.
Both teams like to run and shoot. Whichever team plays thier game should win.
GO VIKES

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

GO VIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

Congrats to Vinton County on your win over Sheridan; I'm glad to have them against us in the Championship. Logan Elm can go with a lot of looks both inside and out. LE has a pretty big lineup overall. 6'8", 6'5", 6', 6', 5'11", (bench) 6'5", 6'4", 5'10". Starters can vary, normally being Adam Blake (G), Jake Thomas (G), Corey Whaley (G), Tyler Pritchard (F) and Logan Hauserman (C). Zach Fulton, Nathan Elswick, and Anthony Vaigner can come off of the bench.

Defensively, LE plays a lot of zone with Hauserman inside. A lot of guards have made the mistake to run straight at him and he just stands straight up and lets them take themselves out of the play, often resulting in a turnover. Or, they can go with man (I would love to see the Guthrie/Hauserman matchup in man lol).

If LE plays good basketball, they should win by 10+. That said, VC can hang tough if they play 4 quarters and LE doesn't. I think it can be interesting. Should be a pretty large crowd in Logan.

Eaglepapaw
S

Post by Eaglepapaw »

This Belpre fan with grandkids in the Vinton County schools is pulling for a VC & TVC victory

viking4life
Riding the Bench

Post by viking4life »

Defensively, LE plays a lot of zone with Hauserman inside. A lot of guards have made the mistake to run straight at him and he just stands straight up and lets them take themselves out of the play, often resulting in a turnover. Or, they can go with man (I would love to see the Guthrie/Hauserman matchup in man lol).

Ok I had reply to this post! Houserman is tall thank god because if he wasent he would not even make team. 2nd you right he stands straight up he is glued to floor=LAZY. 3rd he is no threat to score alot on anybody yea yea he get a few but mimimal. 4th when i seen him wed. night he pissed and moaned all game the new lex player #44 I believe was way out height and weight and he did well i think for what the match up was. Le is a great team im not saying that but Hauserman gets lazy at times. :122249

Space Cowboy
SEO

Post by Space Cowboy »

lostgeneral wrote:Logan Elm can come at you from behind the arc or inside. I have seen both teams. Vinton will have to show a whole lot more than they did against Sheridan. LE's guards are much better than Sheridans were. They didn't play much zone in the games I saw. It could be close but Iwould be somewhat surprised if it is.

I agree that Logan Elm is a dangerous team anywhere they are at on the court and they should (rightly so) be considered the favorite. If VC plays like they did against Sheridan and Jackson, the Vikes will be in for a long night. However, if they play like they did against Piketon, this one could go down to the wire. VCs big downfall this season has been freethrows and inconsistantcy. If the Vikings start making misstakes....that would be kinda like bleeding around sharks. But you could still bet money that LE aint gonna look at VC like a pushover. Their coach realizes just how dangerous this game could be.

LoganElm_grad09
Varsity

Post by LoganElm_grad09 »

viking4life wrote:Defensively, LE plays a lot of zone with Hauserman inside. A lot of guards have made the mistake to run straight at him and he just stands straight up and lets them take themselves out of the play, often resulting in a turnover. Or, they can go with man (I would love to see the Guthrie/Hauserman matchup in man lol).

Ok I had reply to this post! Houserman is tall thank god because if he wasent he would not even make team. 2nd you right he stands straight up he is glued to floor=LAZY. 3rd he is no threat to score alot on anybody yea yea he get a few but mimimal. 4th when i seen him wed. night he pissed and moaned all game the new lex player #44 I believe was way out height and weight and he did well i think for what the match up was. Le is a great team im not saying that but Hauserman gets lazy at times. :122249

I was in class at OUC so I didn't get to see the New Lex game. But to say Logan is lazy from watching one game is ignorant don't you think? Did you see Hauserman play ANY this season?

Return to “Boys Basketball”