Final: Chesapeake 63 Ironton 47 -- Regional Championship

Steely Dan
SEOP

Re: Chesapeake vs. Ironton - Reg'l Championship - 3/20 @ 7:30PM

Post by Steely Dan »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:looks as if the peake will be making their first ever trip to the final four......

NORM leaves and look what happens !!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^LMAO!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ FOS, I always enjoy your candor!

Congrats to the peake on this big win. Good luck!

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

Chesapeake 63 Ironton 47 - Final

FANOSPORTS
SEOPS

Post by FANOSPORTS »

biggdowgg wrote:have to be honest,I really thought Ironton would be playing in the state Championship game, they have so much talent on that team....

With all those freshmen and other underclassmen who played this year they'll be OK for the next couple years !!!!!

Chesapeake
JV Team

Post by Chesapeake »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:looks as if the peake will be making their first ever trip to the final four......

What he did with Oak Hill last year opened the door for Chesapeake imo.

Made them believers!

chspanthers72
Riding the Bench

Post by chspanthers72 »

Chesapeake wrote:
FANOSPORTS wrote:

What he did with Oak Hill last year opened the door for Chesapeake imo.

Made them believers!

Maybe Persin winning it last year broke the curse. I had Coach Persin in school and have great respect for him as a basketball coach. Chesapeake isn't playing Thursday without the foundation that Persin laid in the youth leagues. He was very hard worker and probably missed out on a lot in his personal life to make the Peake winners.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Congrats to Chesapeake on winning the Region, good luck in the Final Four. I'll be rooting for you to win it all.

Congrats to Ironton on a great Season. Look forward to next Season, should be another great Season for the Tigers.

chspanthers72
Riding the Bench

Post by chspanthers72 »

I wonder if popcornPhil will ever show his face on here again....lol.

I believe tonight was a rough night for Coach Lafon. He really wanted to win, but as a Chesapeake alumnus he was probably happy for his friends in purple and white.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

FANOSPORTS wrote:
biggdowgg wrote:have to be honest,I really thought Ironton would be playing in the state Championship game, they have so much talent on that team....

With all those freshmen and other underclassmen who played this year they'll be OK for the next couple years !!!!!

if they all stick around and continue to play, you are correct...

shaynew
Riding the Bench

Post by shaynew »

Sorry PANTHERS 72 NORM never spent a minute in the Chesapeake youth leauges other than the 1 week camp every year where he was non existant.If you want to credit Chesapeake leauges then credit Tom Curry and all the parents that have coached and put in there time.

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

Peake still playin the karma.

Norm left.......for greener ground.....obtained 2 stars from Jackson....won state championship......loses in sectional final @ JACKSON of all places and now Peake has ran the table to make it to the state for the 1st time.

Congrats Peake

chspanthers72
Riding the Bench

Post by chspanthers72 »

I honestly don't know much about the talent level of the other teams left in the tournament. However Ironton is a good basketball team and we held them in check for most of the game. The team just needs to play with the same energy and get after the ball like they did tonight.
By the way does anyone know who the Peake will be playing on Thursday yet.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

Anyone questioning a man who won 600 games and a state championship needs to check themselves into a hospital. If you want to thank someone for the youth league then start with Rusty Marcum and Tom Curry, then go thank Cannonball and Dave Jordan. Norm was present in the youth leagues despite what anyone has to say---speaking from my own experience.

This thread should be a celebration of the current Chesapeake team, and a celebration of the foundation that Coach Persin laid, and a time for all former players to reflect and celebrate what they were able to accomplish.

I will say this about the tournament this season. This has been one of the weaker District/Regionals I have seen in a long time, and that is not taking anything away from Chesapeake or Ironton, but just all the more evidence that the tournament is all about match ups and luck.

We should all have some class and thank everyone who has had a hand in helping Chesapeake finally get to state.

chspanthers72
Riding the Bench

Post by chspanthers72 »

I just wish I could be there on Thursday. I should play hookie from work and make the three hour trip down to Columbus. I don't know if it can be arranged on short notice. It would be nice if the community could get some charter buses for the trip up there.

avalanche
JV Team

Post by avalanche »

IF we win when t we play?

chspanthers72
Riding the Bench

Post by chspanthers72 »

If we win Thursday the championship would be 10:45 am Saturday morning.

rico suave
Freshman Team

Re: Final: Chesapeake 63 Ironton 47 -- Regional Championship

Post by rico suave »

ovc ovc ovc the little boy underdogs did it. when ironton beat cg in sectionals the student section was chanting ovc ovc. so tonight they got a taste of the best of the ovc, the regional champion chesapeake panthers. congrats to the peake.

osumufan
SE

Post by osumufan »

rico suave wrote:ovc ovc ovc the little boy underdogs did it. when ironton beat cg in sectionals the student section was chanting ovc ovc. so tonight they got a taste of the best of the ovc, the regional champion chesapeake panthers. congrats to the peake.

Karma always comes back and bites you in the a$$!!!! :razz: :razz:

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

CONGRATS PEAKE!! Hopefully you'll roll thru the final four and put the SEO JINX TO REST!!! Great game in giving my tigers a HUGE SLICE OF HUMBLE PIE!!! they've got some talent
coming up
Many battles await on the river!!! BUT WIN THIS STATE DEAL SO THEY CAN BE EXPECTING US FOR YEARS TO COME!!!! proud of ya tigers!!!!

Tjhtygeverve
SE

Post by Tjhtygeverve »

Karma has about as much to do w/ a sporting
event, as whether the home team has good concession EATS!!! Peake was superior!!! Let go of karma & N - joy the 4 best teams atmosphere!!! Nothing like it, especiay if u advance! At that point karma is back in the hot dog sauce!!!

AND YOUR STATE CHAMPIONSHIP CHANCES ARE ALL ABOUT HAVING ONE OF YOUR BETTER SHOWINGS OF THE YEAR!!!! rock on peake!!!
Last edited by Tjhtygeverve on Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... the Purple Hippo T-Shirt was safely out of harms way during tonights Regional final lol - in Pfloyd's usual Cheap Seat location ... GREAT GAME by Coach Davis and the Peake vs river rival Ironton ... Congratulations to the Purple and White as the tourney shirt that Coach Davis gave to me indicates - what started in Jackson, moved on to the Convo in A'town is NOW headed to "THE SHOW" - the final four - at the Schott in C'bus ... after the buzzer sounded to end the game, pfloyd stuck around to see the pride, the excitement that the Peake TEAM brought to their fans ... the boyz accepted the Regional Championship Trophy, cut down the nets and took to the stands to share the moment with the Panther faithful ... pride, feeling of accomplishment ... congratulations to the Panther fans, players, coaches ... Peake 63 Ironton 47 a final ...

... I knew going into this one that Ironton was going to put pressure on the Peake 24/7 - they did "starting as soon as the Panthers came out for warmups" lol ... full court, making both Peter Hintz and Nathan Copley work for 32 minutes to get the ball up court - kudos to the CHS duo in handling the pressure - only 14 turnovers under that kind of pressure is outstanding imo ... interesting napkin stat Coach Davis' boys led this one from start to finish - Ironton never saw the lead ... quarter breaks - the Peake 19 Ironton 12 after one ... the Peake 35 Ironton 22 at intermission ... the Peake 45 Ironton 38 after three ... Chesapeake 63 Ironton 47 the final ...

... Chesapeake seemed to always have an answer to any Ironton push ... give this one to the Peake front court hitting the boards all night on both ends of the floor - Trent Saunders and Colin Kennedy had multiple put back baskets in the first quarter to stake the Panthers to that first quarter advantage, 6 of the Peakes' first 8 field goals were from the block in ( 2 putbacks included on the offensive end) ... Ironton's big freshman Trey Fletcher flexed his muscle in the second quarter with putback baskets of his own, but not enough to slow the Peake as Peter Hintz/Nathan Copley and Austin McMaster kicked in from the perimeter as CHS hit 2 three balls and a couple of KEY in the paint buckets by Colton Lindsey stretched the CHS lead to 13 after two ... not sure how you can apply MORE pressure BUT the IHS perimeter people (Carter,Morton) did just that in the 3rd - forcing the Peake into 7 third quarter TOs , the turned up pressure , 8 points from Fletcher down low all combined to shrink the Peake lead down to 7 points at the end of three 45-38 ... the closest the Tigers could get was 5 points as Austin McMaster and Nathan Copley took over on the offensive end - McMaster put up 10 points and Copley 8 in the final frame to put this one out of reach ... Chesapeake 63 Ironton 47 a final ...

... Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Ironton ...

Scoring ... Trey Fletcher 12, Zac Carter 10 (both freshmen) ... Travis Elliott 9, Tim Kochendoerfer 7, Taylor 5, Morton 2, Edens 2 ...

3-pointers ... 3/15 ... Elliott 1, Carter 1, Taylor 1 ...

FTs ... 6/9

TOs ... 17

... the size inside for Chesapeake hurt Ironton all night , changed shots, out rebounded IHS stopping the "put back" buckets - size does matter ... the inability for Tim Kochendoerfer to "go off" (7 points) was key to Ironton being unable to open up the inside game ... a key napkin stat on the night for Ironton - as much pressure as the Tigers put on the perimeter folks for the Peake - forcing 14 TOs - IHS was only able to capitalize with ONE basket in transition ... great season for the Tigers, loads of talent returning next season - look for I'town to return to regional play next season ...

... Pfloyd Napkin Stats - Chesapeake ...

Scoring ... Austin McMaster 19 , Nathan Copley 15, Trent Saunders 9, Colin Kennedy 8, Colton Lindsey 6, Peter Hintz 6

3-Pointers ... 2/10 ... Copley 1, McMaster 1

FTs ... 13/15 ... 6/8 in the 4th quarter ...

TOs ... 14 ...

... Coach Davis had a great game plan that his TEAM executed , the Purple and White never got rattled under the pressure onslaught - 14 TOs for the game BUT 7 of those came in the 3rd quarter alone with the remaining 7 being spread out over 3 qtrs/24 minutes of IHS pressure - OUTSTANDING ... this one was a total TEAM effort imo as DIFFERENT individuals stepped up at key times in the game - Trent Saunders/Colin Kennedy in the first on the boards with key buckets down low ... Colton Lindsey 3 "among the trees" baskets in the 2nd and 3rd ... Austin McMaster in a stretch of 4 straight possessions in the 4th answered IHS baskets ... Nathan Copley's 6/8 from the line in the 4th and last but not least Peter Hintz running the show for 4 quarters, hit 3 key fgs going into the paint in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd periods ... adds up to TEAM ... adds up to a 63-47 Peake W ... as was told to me by one of the key supporters of Chesapeake sports/hoops - he's been waiting for 28 years for this moment ... Chesapeake moving on to the Show , the Final Four ...

Return to “Boys Basketball”