Piketon Redstreaks 2010-11

chef_piketon
JV Team

Piketon Redstreaks 2010-11

Post by chef_piketon »

The Chef is optimistic about next seasons Streaks. Always tough to see guys graduate, but its what makes high school basketball what it is. Should have lots of experience and depth with several seniors coming back. Believe 4 senior starters are back with lots of potential starters from the bench. Seems like some of those seniors like Vulgamore - Helton - Legg - Brush have been around for like 7-8 years or so. The Chef thinks the Streaks will be stacked with 6-1 to 6-3 athletic shooters and will probably be running and gunning again this coming season. Keep an eye on some of those younger players to come up big.

Last season was fun, just had a bad game in the Districts against Chesapeake who made it to the States. Believe finished 15-7 coming off the States trip and loss of big scorers and won its 3rd straight Sectional title for the first time in school history.

The SVC should be wide open again with the Streaks having a big say in the title as anyone. Streaks finished second last season just one game behind Zane Trace Pioneers who was loaded with seniors. Streaks return nearly same team plus many younger guys poised to step up.

The Chef is already missing the roundball season with March Madness having come and gone. Gets lonely here in empty Oven. Anyone know what kind of summer Piketon has lined up? The Chef knows the Streaks usually play an aggressive summer plan. The Chef has heard nearly half the players are playing in AAU tournaments.

Let's Go Streaks!

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Re: Piketon Redstreaks 2010-11

Post by trojandave »

With those veterans returning, Piketon will make another run at the SVC title and just might win it next year considering Zane Trace's losses to graduation........the Redstreaks and Peebles will most likely make up the top 2 seeds at Waverly, and PHS will once again be playing at the Convo.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

The Streaks will be scary....barring nothing happens like last season. I really think Coach Lisath should soften that schedule, however once again I hear Zanesville, Columbus Mifflin, Chesapeake, Waverly, Western, Vinton County will make up that Non-Conference Schedule. Zanesville and Chesapeake both Final Four teams return their top players, Mifflin returns almost their entire team, and Waverly and Vinton County are projected to be good.
Based on what I've seen, the Streaks will have a very deep bench, with tons of guards and hands down the best player in the League. I'm hearing a huge Summer Schedule Filled with scrimmages with the top teams in the state. I think the Streaks will be hungry from that embarrassing butt-kicking at the Convo vs. Chesapeake. We will see.....and please no rumors of move-ins or transfers this summer....please!

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Thanks Jimmy for the schedule info. Coach L and Piketon lives by that creed of playing whoever whenever and usually on the road games. Which of those teams mentioned will be visiting the friendly confines of The Oven? The Chef loves rolling out the Red carpet for new teams. Should be another year of making a run at the titles in The Village.

By the way, next weekend is the renowned Dogwood Festival in Piketon. Given the weather holds out, we should have everything in place to welcome everyone into The Village for fun for everyone. Come on out and enjoy the arts, crafts, entertainment, and great food.

Jimmy: Funny you mentioned the rumors about move-ins. The one last summer about the kid from Alabama had the whole Village holding their collective breath. Big bruising 6'2" kid who was a supposed football and basketball player. Didn't the kid end up being 25 yrs old and not even from Alabama?
Wouldn't be surprised that Piketon would get some move-ins with the A-Plant hiring lots of people. Never know.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Chef, I think he was older than that...but it sure sounded good.

Heard a few rumors at the Baseball game the other day....but I will wait to see if there is any truth to them. I will see Coach L. on the golf course today...maybe I can get the facts.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Who did Piketon lose to graduation?

Other than Legg, who do they have coming back?

Thanks.

R-STREAK
Riding the Bench

Post by R-STREAK »

Graduating Southworth,Miller,Lewis,Barker
Coming back is a boat load of talent.....Legg,Helton,Brush,Vulgamore,Moore,Braniff,and many sophmores

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

R-STREAK wrote:Graduating Southworth,Miller,Lewis,Barker
Coming back is a boat load of talent.....Legg,Helton,Brush,Vulgamore,Moore,Braniff,and many sophmores

Piketon will be very strong again. If legg develops a better perimeter game...look out. However, I do think losing Lewis will hurt the team more than most people think.

Did vulgamore graduate also?

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

Vulgie is back

tobiasunderwood
Waterboy

Post by tobiasunderwood »

I anticipate another stellar season for our Redstreaks! I too eagerly await for the return of the roundball season as so eloquently stated in the third person by the Chef. Labor hard during the off season young streaks as hard work will make it's presence felt in time!

hbk2016
Varsity

Post by hbk2016 »

Where will Legg play?

Is he DI, DII, DIII or NAIA material?

Personally, I would think he will be a DII guy?

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

hbk123 wrote:Where will Legg play?

Is he DI, DII, DIII or NAIA material?

Personally, I would think he will be a DII guy?

Legg is a great player and think he would look better in brown...lol

In all seriousness I think as of now he he is NCAA-3 or NAIA, but if perimeter game improves he might go bigger as he has good size for a point guard. I wish him well.

chef_piketon
JV Team

Post by chef_piketon »

The Chef used to do this once in awhile back under the Coreno reign and was a lot of fun, so here goes a capsule on Piketon players as The old squinting-eyed Chef sees it (things are slow right now after getting all the Dogwood stuff behind us). Working off District game program, here goes for some fun:

Vulgamore - "Vulgie'' - he's totally different player than his brother but shares the same knack for making big plays in big games. We'll never forget the shot against Grandview. Ended the season last year with a bum ankle having to sit some games when he was playing really well. Look for him to turn it on this season and hit his stride. Sneaky scorer.

Helton - the "Jailer" - cause when Coach L assigns him to a player on defense, he locks the kid up. Good deep ball threat he had some good moments hitting some shots last season. The Chef looks for his game to expand to being an inside and outside threat as the season goes on. Very capable of scoring 20 in any game and a very strong determined player.

Legg - "Ev" - had great season and look for him to smooth out his play this year. Put up SVC/District Player of the Year like numbers. Colleges probably aren't sure where he fits in. He's alot like Kyle Miller was. Both 6'3 yet thin and do little of everything while being excellent dribblers. Miller blossomed when he matured and Legg probably will. Curious to see where he goes.

Brush - "Dark Knight/Batman" - look for a lot of things to come together for him this season as usually happens with big men their senior year. Their ability catches up with their size and feet. Saw him cruising the Dogwood and he's put on some muscle and looked bigger to The Chef. Look for him to put it all together this season for the Streaks and have some real nice games.

Braniff - "Jake the Snake" - kid just keeps growing as The Chef saw him recently and he's probably 6'4. Kid that has become good track runner in his first year of running. One of those players that does a little of everything and other teams aren't sure about him. The Chef looks for him to boom under Coach L's running game and put up some numbers this season.

Moore - "Silent Assassin" - as Coach L seemed to put him in games to shoot the 3ball last year. Saw major minutes as a freshman and had couple games where he hit double digits believe. As with most young players, look for him to round into a more complete player and be able to score some good baskets on any given night. Seems like a solid player with no weaknesses.

Farmer - "Lefty" - having an incredible baseball season and should get votes for SVC player of year. The Chef saw him really light up the bombs in JV games and become a rebounding force. Saw action at varsity time when it was all at the end of the season when it seemed he was hitting his stride and Coach L put him in. Should be a newcomer and shooting threat this season.

Brabson - "Ike" - cousin of Jordan who lit up for Streaks couple years back - young, smooth ballhandler and smart defensive guy who got minutes late in the season in some key games and looks to step up to the big games. Seems to play under control and beyond his years. Another one of the tall thin athletic athletes Coach L has at his disposal.

Others - several others listed, but The Chef doesn't know too much about any of them. Coach L always seems to find some player or sometimes more that no one expects much out of and makes a big hit with him. So The Chef won't be surprised if some player emerges that The Chef hasn't even seen.

The Streaks are loaded with nice blend of players and no one is enjoying this run of good teams more than The Chef. The Chef just asks only one thing each season and that's a trip to the Convo because it's so fun to go over there and watch a days worth of games and see the Streaks out there on the floor fighting it out with some school. It's a blast and The Chef's favorite thing outside of cooking up great food.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Sent Coach L. an email to get the Summer Schedule...I will post, once I receive it.

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

Piketon is in the Portsmouth Summer League, which will start the first Saturday in June with 4 games for all participating teams.........then the league will meet every Monday through June with each team playing 2 games on that night.

Other teams participating besides Portsmouth and Piketon include Russell(KY), Lewis County(KY), Northwest, East(Sciotoville), and a few others.

Coach Kelley
Freshman Team

Post by Coach Kelley »

As it looks for now, Piketon will be playing in the Portsmouth Summer league, Chesapeake shootout, Shawnee State Shootout, and Miami University team camp (which normally is against all D1 & D2 schools). There is also talk of a Bannon Park Classic visit, as well, which should be great over July 4th weekend!

The season schedule, although it not finalized at this point to my knowledge, will be once again a VERY tough schedule which should make us stronger throughout the season. (Columbus Mifflin, Vinton County, Zanesville, Holiday Tourney (Waverly, Eastern) and possibly a matchup in the Chesapeake tourney (not confirmed to my knowledge).

As for off season notes, open gyms have been good with those not playing other sports attending. Legg, Brush, and Moore have all looked pretty good and very strong. Piketon has had several underclassmen in attendance who have looked good, as well. There have been many past Redstreak players visiting providing great competition. I believe the biggest surprise so far has been the size of the kids; there are several guys who've grown a lot since season. Redstreaks should have a team full of players well over 6 ft next season...Of course, it's hands-off time for now.....June is just around the corner, and Redstreak basketball will get into full force...BELIEVE...THE TIME IS NOW!!!! Go Redstreaks!

R-STREAK
Riding the Bench

Post by R-STREAK »

Coach....Is got too be please with the talent and the hard working boys for next few yrs..Go STREAKS

Jeff Lisath
JV Team

Post by Jeff Lisath »

We have a lot of work to put in between now and November. We must be stronger, tougher, and a lot more mature than we were last year; The key will be our leadership from this senior class and the maturity of the underclassmen....we have a nice mix, however the kids will have to buy into their roles and understand if you don't put in the work...someone will take your place...we must approach every game with a "sense of urgency"...if we can do these things and stay healthy....... providing that nothing goofy happens, we will be a very good basketball team! Our schedule will be very challenging and should give us an idea early just how good or bad we are....for now....we concentrate on getter better in June & July!

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

Basketball player like baseball players are made in June and July. If you wait until season starts then you are way behind. Like I told the baseball kids on Wednesday. Next year starts tommorrow. What are you doing today to prepare for the season.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

The Greek is told Piketon and Portsmouth has been very impressive in the Portsmouth Summer League, ( 1-1 ) head to head.....looks like a nice little rivarly starting to brew!

Return to “Boys Basketball”