Piketon Basketball...will the below average svc hurt us?

bvarn10
Waterboy

Piketon Basketball...will the below average svc hurt us?

Post by bvarn10 »

Everyone knows the svc is down this year besides Piketon. The Streaks will more than likely be up big in most games and have to put in subs with no press. I think this will hurt the Streaks more than people think. I believe that throughout the season they won't get better because they won't be able to play a full game of "their" basketball. In the postseason this could be something that could hurt them. Any thoughts?

Heavy D
All Conference

Re: Piketon Basketball...will the below average svc hurt us?

Post by Heavy D »

Schedule better non league opponents.

bvarn10
Waterboy

Post by bvarn10 »

we do play Columbus Mifflin, Zanesville, and Vinton County. But is three games enough?

Heavy D
All Conference

Post by Heavy D »

What you are describing is part of basketball, or any sport for that matter. It is also up to the coach to find a way to overcome the issue.

expert witness
Freshman Team

Post by expert witness »

nothing like putting a big target on you teams back!

bvarn10
Waterboy

Post by bvarn10 »

expert witness wrote:nothing like putting a big target on you teams back!
They're already circled on every teams schedule. This is something everyone knows. Your comment is irrelevant, and learn some grammar.

bvarn10
Waterboy

Post by bvarn10 »

Heavy D wrote:What you are describing is part of basketball, or any sport for that matter. It is also up to the coach to find a way to overcome the issue.
That's the reason for my post. What's some ideas to overcome this issue?!

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

There will come a time sooner or later when Piketon will have to win a game against a team who has great guard play and can handle defensive pressure. So I take advantage of some of these lopsided games to work on my half court offense and half/quarter court defenses so that Piketon can feel 100% confident in their offensive sets and not just on transition and points off turnovers.

My goal against some opponents would be to put the game out of reach as quickly as possible and than work on different stuff late in the 3rd and all 4th quarter or get my #7-12 players some valuable experience during the 4th quarter. If practices are intense and competitive I dont think that the starters will be rusty from not playing during the 4th quarter of blowouts.

JIMMY THE GREEK
All Conference

Post by JIMMY THE GREEK »

Are you kidding me! Every SVC Team will bring their best effort and the league although is down will have some surprises. I think they played a tough pre-season schedule, and games with Mifflin, Zanesville, Vinton County, and potentially Waverly will be enough, plus I expect some tight SVC Road games. I think Coach L. is playing 10 guys equally right now, so he will have a lot of guys with real game playing time. Streaks will be ok....its way to early to speculate!

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

I guess that I am not the only person to see this about the league.

Eaglesnest
All State

Post by Eaglesnest »

Jimmy the Greek wrote:Are you kidding me! Every SVC Team will bring their best effort and the league although is down will have some surprises. I think they played a tough pre-season schedule, and games with Mifflin, Zanesville, Vinton County, and potentially Waverly will be enough, plus I expect some tight SVC Road games. I think Coach L. is playing 10 guys equally right now, so he will have a lot of guys with real game playing time. Streaks will be ok....its way to early to speculate!
Sorry Jimmy,

As a whole, the SVC is very weak this season. I have seen 4 SVC teams other than Piketon, and the better SOC1 schools (no powerhouse by any means) can play with and probably beat all but Piketon that I have seen. That will not prepare the Streaks for the tourney...your non-league hopefully will be enough.

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

One way to look at this situation - at least practices are very competitive. Not the same as games, I know but the team is challenged every day in practice as players 6-10 - they are so balanced it's hard to say who that is.
Last edited by tap in bogey on Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onthefence
Freshman Team

Post by Onthefence »

This season Adena didn't have a complaint about the SVC's strength in football. Some could use a dose of humility..

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

justthefacts wrote:This season Adena didn't have a complaint about the SVC's strength in football. Some could use a dose of humility..
True, Adena had a similar issue and it kept them out of the playoffs.

nice guy
Varsity

Post by nice guy »

Adena was out of the playoffs in football because they were 0-3 in their non-league games.

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

crack wrote:Adena was out of the playoffs in football because they were 0-3 in their non-league games.
Perhaps but it could have helped if the SVC opponents had given them some more second level points. I thought they were pretty close to making the playoffs but might be wrong.

eagles73Taylor
SE

Post by eagles73Taylor »

Adena was 11th at 15.9, the 8th place team was at 16.9 so perhaps if others in the league could have picked up some W's in the offseason Adena could have made it, but losing their 3 non league was a bigger issue, IMO.

As for this thread, no need for it our boys will have to strap on their sneakers and play well to win this year as they have had to do since Piketon first played a bball game! lol

R-STREAK
Riding the Bench

Post by R-STREAK »

First of all...I think this is a slap in svc's face and probably the dumbest topic ever....yes the Streaks are Favorites but there will be close games

bman
SEO

Post by bman »

The SVC is down in football and basketball right now, but teams can still get ready for tournaments or the playoffs in football by scheduling and beating some top non-league teams. Since Adena football was brought up, if you can't beat Greenfield then you don't deserve to go to the playoffs. Stop complaining about other schools and do more yourselves.

tap in bogey
Freshman Team

Post by tap in bogey »

R-STREAK wrote:First of all...I think this is a slap in svc's face and probably the dumbest topic ever....yes the Streaks are Favorites but there will be close games
True - and I fell right into it.

Return to “Boys Basketball”