John Royster. VC's best basketball coach ever

threesportathlete09
Riding the Bench

John Royster. VC's best basketball coach ever

Post by threesportathlete09 »

If you agree here you go. If not I don't really care but you can tell me why.

Yes coach combs may be the winningest Varsity coach in VC history but if you have noticed like I have since Royster, started his break, respect between players and coaches has gone down hill. Royster earned my respect when he was a Jr. high coach in VC and I was just a young one in the stands watching. There is nothing that stands out in my mind more from HS than when Coach broke down and almost cried tears of joy after we became the first JV team in VC history to go undefeated. If you were not playin the way you were expected to play it was: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 go get em out of there.

CoyDuke
Freshman Team

Re: John Royster. VC's best basketball coach ever

Post by CoyDuke »

Taking nothing away from Mr. Royster and his years of service, but if you think VC basketball is somehow worse since he left, you are mistaken. Since he left, the varsity has rolled right along averaging 17 wins per year, and the JV team hasn't lost a game in nearly a season and a half. Coach Combs has built a great program that continues to have success regardless of the interchangable parts, and the relationship between players and coaches is as strong as ever.

threesportathlete09
Riding the Bench

Say what you want. I played for both coaches and I have never heard anyone who played for Royster say a foul word about him. Combs on the other hand I have seen players tell him to his face they hate him.

Poo Bear
SEOP

Post by Poo Bear »

Agreed!.....Coach Royster was the man, however, VC is still rollin' along. What they have is a "PROGRAM". not a particular coach or player. Are they gonna win the TVC every year? NO, every other year, NO, but they will compete for it every single year and will win there share of titles. Come to the middle school, old high school, or any of they elemetary schools any Saturday morning and watch the future of VC play. Oh and the 6th, 5th, and 4th grade travel teams are a combined 19-0 as of today. The future is bright. and it starts with the youth coaches getting the kids to love the game and continues right up to coach Huntley and coach Eberts in junior high, and then on to coach Sowers, coach Hale, and when they get to Coach Combs theyre ready. VC has its act together when it comes to basketball.

Orange and Brown
SEOPS Mr. Ohio

Post by Orange and Brown »

Way to show your support for your current coach. VC is the class of the TVC-OHIO in Basketball. It wasn't 1 coach or 1 player who biult the PROGRAM.. It was a lot of great coaching starting at the youth level, then the jr high on into high school. It was countless kids who worked hours and hours to get better as individuals and as a team. It was all those parents who made sure jr made it to the weightroom, and to practice, made sure they made it to this camp or that clinic...It's the coaches you never see on the sideline or read about in the paper or programs....A great program needs great coaching but it also needs so much more. The way I see it is you are just trying to stir trouble...

bvmv4life
All Conference

Post by bvmv4life »

Viking96 wrote:Agreed!.....Coach Royster was the man, however, VC is still rollin' along. What they have is a "PROGRAM". not a particular coach or player. Are they gonna win the TVC every year? NO, every other year, NO, but they will compete for it every single year and will win there share of titles. Come to the middle school, old high school, or any of they elemetary schools any Saturday morning and watch the future of VC play. Oh and the 6th, 5th, and 4th grade travel teams are a combined 19-0 as of today. The future is bright. and it starts with the youth coaches getting the kids to love the game and continues right up to coach Huntley and coach Eberts in junior high, and then on to coach Sowers, coach Hale, and when they get to Coach Combs theyre ready. VC has its act together when it comes to basketball.
My boy and his friend played OYB with a team out of Vinton county last summer and I will have to agree with u the future is bright...that team was even OYB State Runner-Ups....my boys team though beat them in the Gus Macker....hope to play with the same team this coming summer.....good luck with your program from Chillicothe....

viking4life
Riding the Bench

Post by viking4life »

OMG... Royster best ever coach over Combs yea right!!! :?:

bengalfan76
SE

Post by bengalfan76 »

I always thought Chris Eldridge was the Brains at Vinton Co.

expert witness
Freshman Team

Post by expert witness »

the fact is, you simply cannot compare a JV coach to a Varsity coach. The game is played at a completely different level against MUCH better opposing coaches. They are both good coaches but what makes VC great is without a doubt their talent level compared to the other TVC schools. They simply have MUCH better talent than everyone else at all levels in the league. If VC would have been in the SEOAL with teams of similar size the past 10-12 years, they would be just another average school struggling to win 10-12 games a year and having very minimal tourny success as they do now.

G.W.A.
All Conference

Post by G.W.A. »

expert witness wrote:the fact is, you simply cannot compare a JV coach to a Varsity coach. The game is played at a completely different level against MUCH better opposing coaches. They are both good coaches but what makes VC great is without a doubt their talent level compared to the other TVC schools. They simply have MUCH better talent than everyone else at all levels in the league. If VC would have been in the SEOAL with teams of similar size the past 10-12 years, they would be just another average school struggling to win 10-12 games a year and having very minimal tourny success as they do now.
Very true statement, except for the seoal part. Tvc is a week league and so is the seoal with the exception of Ironton and chilly when they won the state.

threesportathlete09
Riding the Bench

I am just saying I have played for both coaches, and Coach Combs has it easy as you guys have said, we just have a great program. I don't have to show support for our current coach cause I am out of the system I held my tongue when I was in the system. The way he treats his players, he will never have my respect.

viking4life
Riding the Bench

Post by viking4life »

threesportathlete09 wrote:I am just saying I have played for both coaches, and Coach Combs has it easy as you guys have said, we just have a great program. I don't have to show support for our current coach cause I am out of the system I held my tongue when I was in the system. The way he treats his players, he will never have my respect.
Coach Combs has it easy and we have a great program huh???? I think coach Combs does not have easy by far its tough every year. And the great program was built by him. He was not handed a team like he has now when he took over he built it. Like they say love him or hate him he gets job done! Oh yea how can you even compare a JV coach to a varsity coach apples and oranges???
Last edited by viking4life on Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Im All In
Waterboy

Post by Im All In »

I am just saying I have played for both coaches,
Are you sure you played for both coaches, or did you just play some JV as a junior and not go out as a senior because you knew you weren't good enough to play?

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

threesportathlete09 wrote:I am just saying I have played for both coaches, and Coach Combs has it easy as you guys have said, we just have a great program. I don't have to show support for our current coach cause I am out of the system I held my tongue when I was in the system. The way he treats his players, he will never have my respect.
You are an idiot.

Most schools would be grateful to have a 160-52 record over ten years. Apparently you are merely jealous and resentful because you weren't good enough to play varsity ball.

By the way, comparing a JV coach and a varsity coach(in any program) is ludicrous.

Ted Striker
Freshman Team

Post by Ted Striker »

Boy oh boy, it appears someone had a little too much eggnog.

The way he treats his players? Not sure what is meant by this but I was a player of his and I was and still am treated with the utmost respect. I think the difference between you liking John and disliking Matt is that you played for John, out of necessity, and apparently saw the writing on the wall and didn't come out to play for Matt. Wise decision, by the way, we won the district that year without you.

Dundas
SEOPS

Post by Dundas »

I played under Combs. Not in basketball but a real sport (golf). He was and always has been very respectful to me. I'd like to think it's because he's just a good guy but I guess it could be because he knew I would smoke him on the links!

Ted Striker
Freshman Team

Post by Ted Striker »

The Razor hit it on the head.
In JV basketball, you can get away with being a mediocre ball handler, below average shooter, and decent defender. VARSITY basketball under Matt not only demands better skills, but better human beings and team mates.

viking4life
Riding the Bench

Post by viking4life »

Im thinking you should of held that tongue A little bit longer maybe till Matt has the bottom fall out of it? Saying that stuff on here after the stats Matt and his staff has put up over the years really dont do much for your case dude! From what I have read you liked Royster because he let you play A little since its JV and you could not cut it on Varsity level so you had sit. That not Matt fault that your problem. Did your pee-wee coach treat you good with respect more than Matt to or would you rank that coach above Matt to??

viking4life
Riding the Bench

Post by viking4life »

bengalfan76 wrote:I always thought Chris Eldridge was the Brains at Vinton Co.
I agree with that also!

hawkeyepierce
S

Post by hawkeyepierce »

Ok, I could not hold my tongue any longer. As someone who knows both Coach Combs and John Royster personally and have worked for both, I might be the best one to offer insight on TSA's opinion.

First, John Royster. Coach Royster has always been liked by more than 95% of the student-athletes that has played for him. The reasons may vary. However, lets break it down to two aspects, character and coaching. Royster's character is admirable, he is charismatic and approachable. His wit seemed boundless, he had certain genuine affection for all of his players which they seemed to reciprocate. Royster's coaching style was however, old-fashioned. His philosophy of inside-out style seems a little archaic, and relentless full-court pressure was a substitute for sitting down and playing defense, but his constant team philosophy and his charisma and wit resonated with the kids that played for him. However, Coach Royster never scouted an opposing team, never really game-planned against an opponent, and always had more talent than his opponents. So his success is relative.

Secondly, Coach Combs has the respect of his past players, and those reason may vary. First, keeping to the same standards; character and coaching. Coach Combs's character, as most of his friends know, is a hard man to relate to during the months of November through March. The reasons for this is simple; he is a competitive, he is focused (like Tiger Woods), and driven. These characteristics are often misunderstood and mistaken for being disingenuous. However, when it comes to the business of teaching the game, representing Vinton County with class and with respect, and doing the intangibles to prepare the team for competition, it is all business. For this Matt Combs is a professional and his work ethic and competitive level is second to done. So during the months of November through March, during the schedule practice times, and on game days, Coach Combs is all business. Now this does not always resonate with players; the levity and jocularity is left to coaches like Coach Eldridge and Coach Miller. As for Coach Combs's coaching philosophy, he is diligent in being the best prepared team; which means, looking at film at all hours of the night, scouting opponents religiously, and game-planning for said opponent. Coach Combs has also been flexible in his team's playing style, coaching and implementing to the talent that may exist for that given season. He constantly fund-raises, and he puts a very good product of a radio show on Thursday nights. In fact, from November through March, besides being a new parent, he has a second or in some cases a third job and still manages to be a successful basketball coach.

Furthermore, the work that Coach Combs does in the off season is often under appreciated; individual workouts, scrimmages, team camps, fundraisers, and commitments to supporting other coaches and programs. These things, Coach Royster never had to do, nor volunteered to do them. Therefore, to compare them, is simply unfair.

Return to “Boys Basketball”