Final: Portsmouth 66 Ironton 41 from 1/18/11

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Re: Portsmouth @ Ironton - Tuesday, 1/18 (Tripleheader)

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

Ironton (7-3)

W..Ironton.................93.......Ashland (11-3)...........73
W..Ironton.................70.......Blanchester (6-5)........36
W..Ironton.................63.......Russell, KY (7-8).........36
L...Taft (11-0)............83.......Ironton.....................65
W..Ironton.................57.......Memorial (4-5)............40
L...Chesapeake (9-0).....78.......Ironton....................70
W..Ironton.................56.......Gallia Academy (3-8)....33
L...John Glenn (8-2)......52.......Ironton....................45
W..Ironton.................70......,.Dayton Stivers (3-9)....55
W..Ironton..................79.......Dayton HSA.....(???)....15
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:06 am, edited 7 times in total.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

we will definatly be the underdogs going into this one,,for us to win we have to play a nearly perfect game, and have a lot of help from out bench players ,so we can still have our starters in the game late in the 4th for a chance to win.

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

I wouldn't go that far and say we need to play a nearly perfect game!!! I don't even know if we're the underdogs....Maybe we are....but as long as we take the mentality of an underdog and not let Ironton out hustle us I think we have a good chance to come away with the win. Ironton has depth but so does Portsmouth....Ironton probably has a lil more girth down low with their bigs....But our "main" big man (Mckinley) is probably the most skilled of the whole lot, between the 2 teams. Guard play...at least at the starting spots, I think the advantage goes to Portsmouth...As much as I love Carter's game...I think the combo of Evans and Bendolph is better than Morton and Carter. We'll see, as the proof will be in the pudding.

PEAKE POWER
Freshman Team

Post by PEAKE POWER »

Portsmouth is just starting to get their swerve on but this game is at Ironton. That is a difficult place to walk in and get a win. Look for it to be a reasonably close game and if thats the case I would give the nod to Ironton. I think Portsmouth is the better team and if they win this it could be by a decent margin but as I said if its close that favors Ironton. Should be a great game.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

I'll take Portsmouth in this one in a close one. I see that ironton has 1 win against a team with a winning record. Tobias hasnt listed the teams records they have played so I dont know how many teams have a winning record they have beaten. Not that it matters because BOTH are VERY good teams and i'm certainly not putting either down. Should be a very good game. Given the chance I think Mckinley will dominate the game if they get the ball to him down low. If he gets in foul trouble then Fletcher will take over the game for Ironton. Could go either way.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

ovc fan wrote:I'll take Portsmouth in this one in a close one. I see that ironton has 1 win against a team with a winning record. Tobias hasnt listed the teams records they have played so I dont know how many teams have a winning record they have beaten. Not that it matters because BOTH are VERY good teams and i'm certainly not putting either down. Should be a very good game. Given the chance I think Mckinley will dominate the game if they get the ball to him down low. If he gets in foul trouble then Fletcher will take over the game for Ironton. Could go either way.
Here's what I came up with, feel free to correct me.

L...South Webster 54 (5-2)...........Portsmouth 47
W..Portsmouth 67.....................South Point 46.........(3-6)
L...Warren 68 (9-1)...................Portsmouth 64
W..Portsmouth 63.....................Jackson 34..............(1-8)
W..Portsmouth 64.....................Wheelersburg 56.......(7-2)
W..Portsmouth 55.....................Pace, FL 43..............(7-8)
L...Los Alamitos, CA 55 (14-5)......Portsmouth 38
W..Portsmouth 53.....................Spanish River, FL 47 2OT (5-11)
L...Chillicothe 58 (8-1)................Portsmouth 48
W..Portsmouth 49......................Gallia Academy 44.....(3-8)
W..Portsmouth 77......................Waverly 60..............(4-5)
W..Portsmouth 81.......................Logan 53................(1-6)
Last edited by ohbuckeye2 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

ovc fan
Varsity

Post by ovc fan »

Well, it looks good to me...like I said it means nothing about the teams they played but great info. Each team matches up differently. I still think it could go either way. I'll change my prediction to.....no prediction. lol. Good luck to both of you! Gonna be a great game. Hope its a good clean fun game where nobody gets hurt. This Division III battle at the convo this year could be a special one. Strongest I have seen Southeast Ohio in quite some time! Even better than last year. Should get interesting.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

I know,,it wont take a perfect game,,I was just throwing that in there..like posted above Ironton plays very well at home,and it is always hard to go in there and come away with a win, if our kids play well,they can beat anyone on the schedule, Ironton is no doubt, one of the toughest games on our schedule,so we are gong to have to play 4 good qtrs of smart baskeball

jgordon0315
JV Team

Post by jgordon0315 »

biggdowgg wrote:I know,,it wont take a perfect game,,I was just throwing that in there..like posted above Ironton plays very well at home,and it is always hard to go in there and come away with a win, if our kids play well,they can beat anyone on the schedule, Ironton is no doubt, one of the toughest games on our schedule,so we are gong to have to play 4 good qtrs of smart baskeball

True...True.....

bvmv4life
All Conference

Re: Portsmouth @ Ironton - Tuesday, 1/18

Post by bvmv4life »

Portsmouth by 5.....

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I know Protsmouth is talented, but why is everyone drinking the trojan kool-aid?

1st---The best player on the court will be Zac Carter. I love Dions game and I think he will have more success going outside then inside, but Zac is the best player in this game and it's not even close.
2nd---Portsmouth always seems to have talent, most of the time they are not well coached. Mark will out coach 99% of the coaches in this area, same applies.
3rd---Return of key players for Ironton. With Trevor coming back it will be even more difficult to score on Ironton in the post.
4th---If Wayne is the PG for Portsmouth I think he will turn it over a lot. Wayne is a ncie player and a good 2 guard, but if he is asked to play point he can easily become a turnover machine.

Ironton 64
Portsmouth 52

trojan7
JV Team

Post by trojan7 »

peake wrote:I know Protsmouth is talented, but why is everyone drinking the trojan kool-aid?

1st---The best player on the court will be Zac Carter. I love Dions game and I think he will have more success going outside then inside, but Zac is the best player in this game and it's not even close.
2nd---Portsmouth always seems to have talent, most of the time they are not well coached. Mark will out coach 99% of the coaches in this area, same applies.
3rd---Return of key players for Ironton. With Trevor coming back it will be even more difficult to score on Ironton in the post.
4th---If Wayne is the PG for Portsmouth I think he will turn it over a lot. Wayne is a ncie player and a good 2 guard, but if he is asked to play point he can easily become a turnover machine.

Ironton 64
Portsmouth 52
I think this will be a great game and I think some people are saying Portsmouth basically because of the jumpstart they received when AB made his return to the Trojans.

1st --- Zac is good but I think Trey Fletcher is better for Ironton. IMO, the best player on the court will be AB for PHS and Trey for Ironton.
2nd --- You are very right there however I think since Gene has taken over last year the Trojans have played much much better and even beat Ironton last year at PHS.
3rd --- How many players are returning? You said Trevor which is just one guy and he may be tough in the post From when I saw him announced at Wellston he maybe was 6'1 or 6'2. Tre is a much stronger and bigger player in the post.
4th --- Wayne isn't the PG for PHS that is now AB. I think the best PG in SEO. Since Andrew has taken over the point Wayne has really picked up his scoring and is getting much more open looks. When he was running the point he still wasn't a "turnover machine".

Don't mean to pick at your post peake and Im just countering your opinion with my opinion. I think Ironton is a great team and both teams sort of mirror each other.

Fletcher and McKinley both BIG men, can score, lefties, can step back from the basket.
Evans and Carter Scorers, good defenders,
Bendolph and Morton FAST and great defenders. Morton can score but isn't as big of a threat as Andrew.
Elliott and Underwood both scrappy players and do whatever is asked of them. Size and strength goes to Tre.
5th man for both teams is what can be a factor. PHS uses Whitley, Collins, Bratchett, and Jordan to fill their 3 spot and each brings something different to the Trojans. For Ironton I saw their 3 played pretty good defense but didn't really see them go deep in their bench so it may be factor if the Trojans wear down the Tigers. Both teams have GREAT talent can easily see each other later in the season. Safe travels by all.
Prediction
Portsmouth 71
Ironton 64

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

peake wrote:I know Protsmouth is talented, but why is everyone drinking the trojan kool-aid?

Ironton 64
Portsmouth 52

last I checked we was alowwed to drink what ever flavor kool aide we like :lol: :lol:

how many games have you seen Portsmout and Ironton play ?
if Portsmouth is as bad as you say, then Ironton should win by an Avelanche :lol: :lol:

I was planning on going but since it wont be a game,Im staying home :lol:

sportsfan43
JV Team

Post by sportsfan43 »

by the way,I thnk Andrew Bendolph is a better all around player then Carter

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

I have yet to see Portsmouth play, and this is jmo, but I saw both Dion and Wayne play plenty of AAU ball last year.

I have also seen Zac Carter play and him putting 35 on Chesapeake tells me all I need to know about who the best player on the court is.

Fletcher had I want to say 12 on Chesapeake, and was far less effective when matched with another post player his size.

To sportsfan, I am just throwing out my opinion, so you don't like it oh well. I have seen the Protsmouth faithful build their argument for being better then their record says on, well we played two Florida squads, well I just took a look ath their record and they are both pretty bad. So....

I may be wrong, and I have no problem with that.

I can tell you after seeing Bendolph play several times in the past few years that he may be a better distributor of the basketball then Carter, but there is no comparison between the two skill wise imo. If AB is your best player, then I think you don't evaluate talent very well. Dion is without a doubt your best player.

I believe Trevor and Dion are back, not 100% sure on Dion, but Trevor White can play. He played on the same AAU team as both Wayne and Dion. He is a very physical presence that will mix it up in the paint.

After Chesapeake destroyed Gallia and you beat them by 10-15 range, I have a very hard time believing Portsmouth is really "that" good. Again, I could be wrong.

Ironton by 10+

PEAKE POWER
Freshman Team

Post by PEAKE POWER »

I believe you did beat the Panthers last year. I couldn't remember maybe you can help was that before or after you fell victim to Lucasville.

ohbuckeye2
SEOPS HO

Post by ohbuckeye2 »

peake wrote:I have yet to see Portsmouth play, and this is jmo, but I saw both Dion and Wayne play plenty of AAU ball last year.

I have also seen Zac Carter play and him putting 35 on Chesapeake tells me all I need to know about who the best player on the court is.

Fletcher had I want to say 12 on Chesapeake, and was far less effective when matched with another post player his size.

To sportsfan, I am just throwing out my opinion, so you don't like it oh well. I have seen the Protsmouth faithful build their argument for being better then their record says on, well we played two Florida squads, well I just took a look ath their record and they are both pretty bad. So....

I may be wrong, and I have no problem with that.

I can tell you after seeing Bendolph play several times in the past few years that he may be a better distributor of the basketball then Carter, but there is no comparison between the two skill wise imo. If AB is your best player, then I think you don't evaluate talent very well. Dion is without a doubt your best player.

I believe Trevor and Dion are back, not 100% sure on Dion, but Trevor White can play. He played on the same AAU team as both Wayne and Dion. He is a very physical presence that will mix it up in the paint.

After Chesapeake destroyed Gallia and you beat them by 10-15 range, I have a very hard time believing Portsmouth is really "that" good. Again, I could be wrong.

Ironton by 10+
1. Carter had 36 against Chesapeake and 30 against Cincinnati Taft (2 of the top Teams in D3).
2. Fletcher had 14 Points and 9 Rebounds against Chesapeake and He had 11 Points and 11 Rebounds against Cincinnati Taft (2 of the top Teams in D3).
3. Trevor White 6'4 is back and yes He can play, this adds alot of depth underneath with Fletcher 6'5, Elliott 6"2, Culbertson 6'4 and Murphy 6'4.
4. Dion won't be back until the 25th, He is a great player and will add depth out front.
5. Ironton 56 Gallia Academy 33---------Portsmouth 49 Gallia Academy 44 (before Bendolph).

I think it's going to be a great game no matter how you look at it. I hope both Teams brings their "A" Game, if so it's going to be a Classic nail biter.

GO TIGERS...........

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

What does last year have to do with this one?

I am not trying to start trouble and maybe I should have choosen my words a little better with the kool-aid comment, but my opinion is my opinion.

If you noticed I said I could possibly be wrong, and I just may.

I am not trying to be rude but Chesapeake beat Gallia by 50+ and you struggled to beat them, I am not putting Portsmouth in the same class as Chesapeake yet.

As I stated before, I think Zac Carter will be too much for Portsmouth. I feel he is the best scorer in SEO that I have SEEN in person. Bendolph is a very solid player, but he's not even the best player on is own team. I think it will be a very interesting matchup between Fletcher and DIon, but I think they are two very different players. Dion is much better when facing the basket and Fletcher is better with his back to the basket. Should be fun to watch the two.

Ironton by 10+

Peake
SEOP

Post by Peake »

and Tobias....how fun was it while Chesapeake was going to the final four and you were sitting at home?

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Isnt he alloud to go watch the peak play????/ :lol:
and Tobias....how fun was it while Chesapeake was going to the final four and you were sitting at home?

Return to “Boys Basketball”