"The People's Elite 8" week 3 results and updates

datchillicav
JV Team

"The People's Elite 8" week 3 results and updates

Post by datchillicav »

Results for week 3 are as follows:

rank. Team. total points. highest. lowest.
1. Chesapeake. 128. 1st. 4th.
2. Chillicothe. 127. 1st. 3rd.
3. Portsmouth. 99. 1st. 6th.
4. Warren. 94. 2nd. 6th.
5. Piketon. 80. 2nd. 8th.
6. Logan Elm. 47. 3rd. UNR.
7. Peebles. 30. 6th. UNR.
8. Ironton. 27. 5th. UNR.

Also receiving points:
Manchester (8), Oak Hill (4), Marietta (2), Wheelersburg (1), Eastern (1)

Please Post updates throughout the week on any games involving teams on the list or that you feel should be close to consideration. Also, feel free to give any insight into any teams you see play THIS WEEK.

datchillicav
JV Team

Re: "The People's Elite 8" week 3 results and updates

Post by datchillicav »

One team whom I dont feel should be on the list but at least deserves to have games posted for some people to consider is Unioto. I know they lost a couple recently but they started out very strong and some may feel they deserve consideration.

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

Marietta 67 Meadowbrook 29

peeblesfan97
JV Team

Post by peeblesfan97 »

Peebles 84 Manchester 60

Trojan_FB_Alum
All State

Post by Trojan_FB_Alum »

BABYFACE wrote:oh dear, Portsmouth over warren,that big ole crybaby, Portsmouth hater will sure love that one
Seems like more than just Portsmouth fans are enjoying that Kool-Aid. 8) :lol:

independent2012
Freshman Team

Post by independent2012 »

That is pretty accurate imo,lot of shaking up still to do with some head to head matchups,however what ever the order I think these are the best 8.

Big D23
Riding the Bench

Post by Big D23 »

datchillicav wrote:One team whom I dont feel should be on the list but at least deserves to have games posted for some people to consider is Unioto. I know they lost a couple recently but they started out very strong and some may feel they deserve consideration.
consideration? i don"t think a team fighting for svc 2nd's deserves consideration. If they knock off the streaks which is very unlikely if you compare talent.

jimmy chipwood
All Conference

Post by jimmy chipwood »

I think he just wants people to at least take a look at a few other teams that are deserving. Unioto is a top 20 team in the Southeast District and should at least be respected. Some people just look at the first couple of posters and take their 8 teams and change the order around.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

datchillicav - great job on "the People's Elite 8", although I do like the sound of "the Tea Party Elite 8" LOL ... I went to my first game in almost 2 months Tuesday, will be out on the road Friday and Saturday as well... I look forward to contributing to YOUR rankings soon ...

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Big D23 wrote:
datchillicav wrote:One team whom I dont feel should be on the list but at least deserves to have games posted for some people to consider is Unioto. I know they lost a couple recently but they started out very strong and some may feel they deserve consideration.
consideration? i don"t think a team fighting for svc 2nd's deserves consideration. If they knock off the streaks which is very unlikely if you compare talent.
I hope you know that it was a 6 point game at Piketon, in which the Shermans led til about 1:30 left in game(I know, Legg was sick) so it's not like it would be out of this world for them to win, in Frenchtown. Piketon would still be favored, especially with a fully healthy team, but Unioto may have just gotta a lot better after this little bump in their season.

datchillicav, I've seen a lot of Unioto's games this year and one thing I can tell you is that close games won't bother them, as 12 of their 13 games have been decided by less than 10 points. All but 2 of those other games have been a 1 possession game with less than 2 minutes to go as well. Their 4 losses have come by 4, 6, 1, and 4 points respectively. This is the best Unioto team in sometime and I would put them in the top 8 in SE based on the 40+ teams I've seen from the district, but because I haven't seen them all, I'd put them around the 15 or 16 slot, as I haven't seen some of the top teams, but I know how good some of those programs and teams are. That's why I wouldn't vote for them, even being a Unioto supporter. I do like you've mentioned others though. Some others that I think should be mentioned are:
-Washington CH, they have one of the best in the district in Kyle Slone, started off the year 1-3 and have rolled off 7 of 8 since then. If they beat Miami Trace the 2nd time around, they will be the 2 seed at Southeastern.
-Miami Trace, 10-2 in a very good league. The only reason I'd keep them out is the loss to Leesburg.
-Paint Valley would've been thrown in here, but they had a bad loss at Westfall last night where they were outscored 21-7 in the 4th to lose by 5

I'd love to know exactly how far Teays Valley is out of the SE District by. They are a very good team, with a D1 commit in Nate Anderson and a former OSU guard coaching them, in Doug Etzler.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

danicalifornia wrote:
Big D23 wrote:
I hope you know that it was a 6 point game at Piketon, in which the Shermans led til about 1:30 left in game(I know, Legg was sick) so it's not like it would be out of this world for them to win, in Frenchtown. Piketon would still be favored, especially with a fully healthy team, but Unioto may have just gotta a lot better after this little bump in their season.

datchillicav, I've seen a lot of Unioto's games this year and one thing I can tell you is that close games won't bother them, as 12 of their 13 games have been decided by less than 10 points. All but 2 of those other games have been a 1 possession game with less than 2 minutes to go as well. Their 4 losses have come by 4, 6, 1, and 4 points respectively. This is the best Unioto team in sometime and I would put them in the top 8 in SE based on the 40+ teams I've seen from the district, but because I haven't seen them all, I'd put them around the 15 or 16 slot, as I haven't seen some of the top teams, but I know how good some of those programs and teams are. That's why I wouldn't vote for them, even being a Unioto supporter. I do like you've mentioned others though. Some others that I think should be mentioned are:
-Washington CH, they have one of the best in the district in Kyle Slone, started off the year 1-3 and have rolled off 7 of 8 since then. If they beat Miami Trace the 2nd time around, they will be the 2 seed at Southeastern.
-Miami Trace, 10-2 in a very good league. The only reason I'd keep them out is the loss to Leesburg.
-Paint Valley would've been thrown in here, but they had a bad loss at Westfall last night where they were outscored 21-7 in the 4th to lose by 5

I'd love to know exactly how far Teays Valley is out of the SE District by. They are a very good team, with a D1 commit in Nate Anderson and a former OSU guard coaching them, in Doug Etzler.
Teays Valley played in the game before Peebles at OSU last Sunday. I agree they would be one of the better teams in our district but they are also D1 and we only really have one school in our section of the state that compares to them in size(Logan). Nate Anderson has the potential to be a great post player but he needs to realize the biggest advantage he has over other teams in the area is his size(6'8"/6'9"), and use it accordingly. Too often does he resort to heaving up a three instead of making a living in the post(which he could pretty easily if he made that his priority). Ashville is about 15 miles from Circleville(Logan Elm) so I dont thinks its too big of a stretch to mention them.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Seems like most of the bigs in our area would rather knock down 3's then dominate a game on the inside. It can definitely be frustrating to watch, especially if they do have the strength to be able to bang inside. Not that being able to shoot the long ball is ever a bad thing for a man with size, but being able to do both is a great thing.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

danicalifornia wrote:Seems like most of the bigs in our area would rather knock down 3's then dominate a game on the inside. It can definitely be frustrating to watch, especially if they do have the strength to be able to bang inside. Not that being able to shoot the long ball is ever a bad thing for a man with size, but being able to do both is a great thing.
Exactly, I have no problem with the occasional three but Anderson took about 10 and may have hit 1. The biggest factor I think for him doing it against Roger Bacon was the fact that they had a guy matching up with him with a very similiar size and skill set in the post(Jared Bryant) and it was a much simpler task to throw up a three than bang inside with him.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... I totally agree with both daniC and TribeM10 ... the "bigs" in our area seem to be perimeter oriented - it might be just me AND I would like to hear others take on this thought ... THE THOUGHT: I'm not convinced that there are many "coaches" who can coach a big to be a legitimate "post" player ... I'm no hoops coach by any stretch BUT I see post play that tells me that the bigs inside haven't been coached as to how to "find" the defender, "ask" for the ball in positions where they can score, I guess I'm saying that the "bigs" aren't or haven't been coached as to the nuances of playing as a "big" ... so many times the "bigs" - especially at the non-varsity levels are allowed to rely on their size, athletic ability alone to "get it done" when in my opinion THAT is the time to teach them how to be a "big" for the future ...

datchillicav
JV Team

Post by datchillicav »

I don't think it's just our area. Bigs in general now are moving farther away from the basket at all levels. Look at the higher levels. In the NBA and NCAA the traditional "Big Man" is extinct. There are very few Dwight Howard, Zydrunas Ilgauskus, Alonzo Morning type players anymore. Everyone wants to be cute and shoot threes and fadeaways. It's the current sports culture everywhere.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... good point datchillicav ...

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... now this also brings to the surface the question : "Do you prepare the bigs for HIS future(as datchillicav version) or do you as coach do what it will take for the TEAM to be successful in the present (having a dominant post man) ?" ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

I agree with datchillicav.......more and more the "bigs" of the game present a higher skill package today........which is, being able to take your defender to the basket off the dribble, knock the 3 down, and when necessary, post up in the paint. Many of today's bigs are not just limited to playing with their back to the basket.

6-5, 6-6, and 6-7 kids are a dime a dozen in today's basketball.......kids that size may be considered "bigs" in our area, but in a more populous region it wouldn't be uncommon to see some of them playing a guard position.

Today's basketball is definitely more perimeter oriented........and as a result you don't see that many true centers who can dominate inside.

pfloyd
SEOPS HOF

Post by pfloyd »

... all good points trojandave ... the point that you brought up about size in "our area" - am I wrong in thinking then that because a BIG in our area is anyone from 6-2 to 6-8 that teaching THOSE 6-2 to 6-4 bigs the nuances of playing as a TRUE BIG is important to the success of teams in league, sectional,regional , state play ... just thinking out loud here ...

trojandave
SEOP
Location: Portsmouth HS--15 State Appearances in Boys Basketball--4th All Time in Ohio

Post by trojandave »

pfloyd: I think as a coach you have to coach a player to fit your system, yet at the same time try to expand his skill package........not an easy thing to do, but I think it's the best thing to do for a team and the individual.

Return to “Boys Basketball”