SOC 2 Outlook 2016-17

FearTheFlock_25
Waterboy

SOC 2 Outlook 2016-17

Post by FearTheFlock_25 »

Lots of talk surrounding the area with who will be on top of the conference by the end of the year. Any Thoughts???

TrojanBareSkin
Waterboy

Re: SOC II Basketball Outlook

Post by TrojanBareSkin »

I look for the Pirates to be the front runner of this conference. Too much Talent and athleticism for the other teams to keep up with. Only graduating 1 Senior will help the Pirates run the conference this season. Go Trojans though!

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

TrojanBareSkin wrote:I look for the Pirates to be the front runner of this conference. Too much Talent and athleticism for the other teams to keep up with. Only graduating 1 Senior will help the Pirates run the conference this season. Go Trojans though!

Also lost their 6'6" big man due to graduation.. However, Holden/Coleman both return and both are the best two players.

I think the Front 4 will be - Burg - Oak Hill - SW - Waverly (who knows in what order).

Minford is around the middle but has the talent to shake things up at the top for sure.

West-Northwest-Valley round out the bottom 3.

To sum it up, I think it's a 4 horse race with Minford possibly playing spoiler on someone.

Watching SE Ohio basketball
h989
Riding the Bench

Post by h989 »

I look for this to be one of the most competitive conferences around this year. Four teams that could do damage

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

bbjunky81 wrote:Also lost their 6'6" big man due to graduation.. However, Holden/Coleman both return and both are the best two players.
He did not graduate, he is at Ironton.

The addition of Cole Lowery will be big too. He is very athletic and will take the pressure off of Holden by taking care of the ball. Dyer moving up from the JV squad this year will give them another long athletic body to play on the wing.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

Post by Mad-Dogg »

Even though i wasn't ready for the gridiron sport to end. It ended two wks before i wanted it to. I can't wait to see some basketball. This season should be pretty good. When is the previews or have they already happened?

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Previews are Friday at SW. There is another thread about previews.

8332 Granite St
JV Team

Post by 8332 Granite St »

Anyone know or have a link to Burg roster?

Harambe
Riding the Bench

Post by Harambe »

South Webster will be a factor this year. They will get over the hump and compete night in and night out. I do think that the four mentioned above will be in the hunt. I think it will come down to Waverly, SW, and Oak Hill. Norm will have his kids ready to compete for yet another league title.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

4thgoal wrote:
bbjunky81 wrote:Also lost their 6'6" big man due to graduation.. However, Holden/Coleman both return and both are the best two players.
He did not graduate, he is at Ironton.

The addition of Cole Lowery will be big too. He is very athletic and will take the pressure off of Holden by taking care of the ball. Dyer moving up from the JV squad this year will give them another long athletic body to play on the wing.

I meant transfer**.. Sorry, posting while at work isn't always the smartest thing to do!

art_vandelay
SE

Post by art_vandelay »

1. Wheelersburg: Holden, Coleman plus athletes (i.e. football players) that will rebound and lock you down. Will win a lot of games in 40s. Dyer, Bivens, and Lowery will all play. Outside shooting could be a concern.

2. Waverly: decent last year with solid players returning...could easily see them winning league. Surprised a lot of people in football this year by almost winning conference, could easily see them having the same type of season in basketball

3. Webster: good athletes, but see rebounding/interior defense as concerns. Shiloah Blevins/Shane Zimmerman will have first team SOC II seasons. Alek Blevins is the wild card for this team...if he becomes 3rd scorer/threat on offense, they can win it

4. Oak Hill: good core returning from last year plus Norm Persin = pretty good year. Feels like I have them too low, but top 4 hard to differentiate.

5. Minford: Lost a lot, but Dalton and Shepherd still a pretty good combo.

6. Valley: new era for the Tribe, they'll be back before long

7. West: will always be a tough game with their physicality, just need more basketball players

8. Northwest: new coach with below-average talent not a recipe for a good year

Should be a fun year in SOC II as there are no dominant teams but 4-5 good teams that all could potentially win SOC II. Even the teams at the bottom will be in most games and could spring an upset or two. Holden will be a treat to watch next 3 years before he goes big-time D1 and there lots of other players worth watching as well (Zimmerman from Webster will score in bunches this year). As Bart Scott says... "CAN'T WAIT!"*

Westfan
SEOP

Post by Westfan »

I think West may surprise this year. Not really a title contender but they have some nice pieces. Decent team size, but no big center.

JustPlayBasketball12
Riding the Bench

Post by JustPlayBasketball12 »

It just depends on how hot West gets from beyond the arc. We all know they like to shoot the 3, just depends on how well they do against ball pressure.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

It's great to see many posters on this thread already.. hopefully it's a busy thread all year!

West has some athletes but they really seem to lack discipline.. They sit in that zone and jack a ton of 3's so if they get hot perhaps they could upset someone..

Scrimmages aren't always the best indicators, but someone told me Green beat up on West pretty bad in a scrimmage last week. That's not a good sign for West if so.

Sport Fan
JV Team

Post by Sport Fan »

art_vandelay wrote:1. Wheelersburg: Holden, Coleman plus athletes (i.e. football players) that will rebound and lock you down. Will win a lot of games in 40s. Dyer, Bivens, and Lowery will all play. Outside shooting could be a concern.

2. Waverly: decent last year with solid players returning...could easily see them winning league. Surprised a lot of people in football this year by almost winning conference, could easily see them having the same type of season in basketball

3. Webster: good athletes, but see rebounding/interior defense as concerns. Shiloah Blevins/Shane Zimmerman will have first team SOC II seasons. Alek Blevins is the wild card for this team...if he becomes 3rd scorer/threat on offense, they can win it

4. Oak Hill: good core returning from last year plus Norm Persin = pretty good year. Feels like I have them too low, but top 4 hard to differentiate.

5. Minford: Lost a lot, but Dalton and Shepherd still a pretty good combo.

6. Valley: new era for the Tribe, they'll be back before long

7. West: will always be a tough game with their physicality, just need more basketball players

8. Northwest: new coach with below-average talent not a recipe for a good year

Should be a fun year in SOC II as there are no dominant teams but 4-5 good teams that all could potentially win SOC II. Even the teams at the bottom will be in most games and could spring an upset or two. Holden will be a treat to watch next 3 years before he goes big-time D1 and there lots of other players worth watching as well (Zimmerman from Webster will score in bunches this year). As Bart Scott says... "CAN'T WAIT!"*

Well said

Madness
Freshman Team

Post by Madness »

Burgs big kid is at Valley not Ironton.
Oak Hill, South Webster, Waverly and Wheelersburg should be the top 4 in the league.

bbjunky81
SEO

Post by bbjunky81 »

Madness wrote:Burgs big kid is at Valley not Ironton.
Oak Hill, South Webster, Waverly and Wheelersburg should be the top 4 in the league.

Incorrect. He was at Valley, but now is at Ironton. 100% positive.

Mad-Dogg
SEOP
Location: Wheelersburg Oh home of the 2x State Champs, 8x Regional Champs and 34x SOC Div 2 Champs

mad-dogg

Post by Mad-Dogg »

8332 Granite St wrote:Anyone know or have a link to Burg roster?
I found it on the burg website but it don't appear to be updated b/c it don't list lowery. Yet it shows austin and ben marvin. I believe marvin was a senior last yr

It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog. (D Jay on Hustle & Flow)

Fearless Bold Tough
We Are The Storm
Make It Rain
Reach Higher
Power Of One
Respect The W
Be The Best
ItsMyOpinion
Varsity

Post by ItsMyOpinion »

I think it is Burg's title to lose but do not sleep on South Webster and Oak Hill. The S.W. coach (Fenten?) is one of the better young coaches in southern Ohio and Persin is one of the best older coaches. Overall I think Burg's length will cause a lot of problems for SOC teams.

Return to “Boys Basketball”