best officials in southeast ohio?

sparky
All State

best officials in southeast ohio?

Post by sparky »

after reading the thread about officials i thought this would be an interesting topic again. i am sure some people might also list the worst officials as well and some officials will obviously make both lists. everyone has a different point of view. another good list would be the biggest HOMERS.

freethrow
Varsity

Re: best officials in southeast ohio?

Post by freethrow »

Say it ain't so sparky....this could get ugly.

sparky
All State

Post by sparky »

it probably won't last long.

biggdowgg
SEOPS HO

Post by biggdowgg »

we wont be listing any "WORSE" referees.....

4thgoal
SEOPS

Post by 4thgoal »

Unfortunately, most fans just notice the "WORSE" referees and those are the ones more people know by name. If you go to a game that is officiated well, the next day you usually couldn't remember who the refs were.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

sparky wrote:after reading the thread about officials i thought this would be an interesting topic again. i am sure some people might also list the worst officials as well and some officials will obviously make both lists. everyone has a different point of view. another good list would be the biggest HOMERS.
I kinda like Dave Dugan.

moose
Varsity

Post by moose »

Tom Hardy has been a great ref for almost 50 years, or about half :shock: his officiating career.

ManitouDan
SEOPS H

Post by ManitouDan »

brett munn from the limited time i';ve seen him call games is very good.

southernohio13
Freshman Team

Post by southernohio13 »

John derrow is not too bad but his crew is not that good, imo. I'm not sure of his name but the big guy that is with derrow seems like he is more concerned with the fans, coaches, players reactions etc. instead of the game! I like Swartzol (sp) from a different crew.

Ty Webb
All State

Post by Ty Webb »

gahs4ever wrote:John Derrow's crew is as good as Ive seen.
I agree...

Here's just a few that come to mind......

John Derrow
Bub Norris
Lowell Settles
Kevin Swartez
Rod Nichols
John Evans(drama queen, but good)
John Jackson
Brian Phips(don't know if he's still working)
Jared Norris

Ironman92
SEOPS Hippo

Post by Ironman92 »

I don't think Phipps refs anymore.....but he was one of the better one.

I disagree with some of the common names on this thread.

91blue14
SE

Post by 91blue14 »

kevin schwarzel is a big ten football official to. a real nice guy

jervin
Freshman Team

Post by jervin »

I think the crew broerman, Wright and kriesher do a really good job.

OZZIEOHIO
SEOPS HO

Post by OZZIEOHIO »

Agree with Doggie. There wont be any worse officials.

Here's a thought for those who think it so easy to criticize from the cheap seats when you have several hundred other refs helping (agreeing with) you;

Every single game, every single call is criticized by several someones, regardless of if the call was right or not. Every official leaves the gym knowing half the people in attendance think he's the worst ever. That is a given and unfortunately goes with the job.

So why do some officials keep at it for decades and are always somewhere calling a game about every night? Could it be that they are a glutton for punishment? It surely cant be because of the pay. No one gets rich reffing HS games in SE Ohio.

Everytime you see a gray haired ref still calling games it means he has overcome all the negatives and fan abuse, and he is still getting calls from schools to do their games.

Something else to consider is when the tournaments begin. Take a look at who gets the jobs; especially as you advance to the district and regional levels. It cant be a coincidence, sp [erhaps any list should begin with those who have the most experience and are in the most demand.

Just a thought. Fire away at me!
Thats a fact.

Trimble Juvenile
Varsity

Post by Trimble Juvenile »

Hootie Wend

Roy Abrams

Probably the two best I have seen at our games. But I don't know how much that means since they are the only ones I have seen at our games.

easterndtm
Waterboy

Post by easterndtm »

What's the flyin hawaiin's name? You know, the one who makes a father-daughter outing of the night

baller7
Waterboy

Post by baller7 »

Danny Mcdavid, Tom Hardy, Scott Jenkins Scott Lowe, Chris Meenach, Chuck Mcknight, John Blanton, Keith Throckmorton, Ivan Hanshaw, Matt Orin. I have seen all these guys work this year and think they all are top of the line officials If I coached I would take any of these guys on a big game night. We have some real good officials in southeast Ohio.

Regulator
All Conference

Post by Regulator »

Best officials in SE Ohio for me are the ones that are: A. Not Fighting Fans after a game B. Not throwing out every person in the stand for sneezing too loud. C. Not Sitting with fans during a timeout D. In Position to make the call, whether 1/2 the crowd agree or not.

All the above has happened this year. Too many officials are worrying about what is going on around them and not concentrating on the game. Bad thing is, same refs will be working tournamnent games!!!

rockyraccoon
All Conference

Post by rockyraccoon »

easterndtm wrote:What's the flyin hawaiin's name? You know, the one who makes a father-daughter outing of the night
I think your talking about Mr. Curley, and he is Navajo Indian, not hawaiian, and he is also a good ref as far as I have seen. Last nights Clay vs East game had the best crew I have watched all year, but as mentioned before, no one remembers the good refs names.

Trooper
Freshman Team

Post by Trooper »

Which referees from Southeast Ohio will be working the state tournament this year?

Return to “Boys Basketball”