SHL Scores and Standings Week #11

jchitwood
All State

SHL Scores and Standings Week #11

Post by jchitwood »

What a week in SHL basketball! North Adams turns the table on Whiteoak, a few days after the Wildcats nearly upset Peebles. Fairfield and Manchester played one for the ages, and Ripley finds a way to get it done. The season may be winding down, but we have some of our biggest games this week.

1. The Peebles Indians (15-1, 9-1) have their biggest game of the season Saturday, against Ripley. This game was scheduled for December, but the forces of nature decreed we should wait until now to see the two best teams in the Southern Hills go head-to-head.

2. The Ripley Blue Jays (14-1, 9-0) are four wins away from winning the Golden Ball, but they have to go through powerhouses Peebles and Manchester first. According to our new Ripley posters, the Jays played uneven ball in the first half against Eastern Brown, but played spectacularly in the second half. They played their closest game of the year against Fleming County, as well. It'll be a hot one in the Wigwam.

3. The Manchester Greyhounds (14-3, 9-2) bounced back nicely after their consecutive losses. The Hounds have ripped off three in a row, as they face a very tough week against Ironton (11-5) and Fairfield. Manchester squeaked by the Lions by one point this week, proving its hard to whip a dog in his own kennel. Still, beating the Lions on the road will be necessary if they want to wrestle the small school championship away from Peebles.

4. The Fairfield Lions (6-9, 4-5) stood toe-to-toe against the Greyhounds and fell a foul shot shy. They get their chance again this week as Chris Cox and Blake Blevins have the final regular-season matchup of their careers. Not a game to be missed.

They play 3 games in 4 days...might have rubber legs against West Union on Friday.

5. C'mon Whiteoak Wildcats (6-10, 5-5). You're embarrassing me. I've spent so much time talking you up. Look how tough your schedule is, how well you played against state-ranked Oak Hill. You beat Manchester outright, come oh-so-close to beating Peebles twice, but then you drop two games to North Adams? Bad kitty. Bad! You can redeem yourself by knocking the wind out of Ripley on Tuesday.

6. Eastern Brown (8-7, 3-7) played well against Ripley, putting up a good first half against the likely SHL Big School champs. This week they play D2 non-SHL school Hillsboro, and Lynchburg-Clay. They've only won 30% of their SHL games this season...so look out Hillsboro.

7. Never, ever, never count out the North Adams Green Devils (5-10, 4-6) They'll make you regret taking them for granted. Congrats to the Legendary Dave Young and company for pulling out a quality win. This week they play Northwest and Ripley, as they try to avoid consecutive losing seasons.

8. The Lynchburg-Clay Mustangs (7-11, 6-5) tipped their SHL record to over .500 last week, which means they're technically still competing for the league title. All season long, this team has either been the best of the worst teams, or the worst of the middlin'. They needed an overtime to beat West Union last week...but hey, a win is a win.

9. Dear West Union Dragons (1-15, 0-11). I have decided to take you out of the cellar of these rankings, although you likely will not win a league game. You fought the Mustangs into OT, played Peebles very closely, and every article I have read about you has described your team as "scrappy." You boys play hard, even though you know you're likely going to lose. That takes character--and character should be rewarded. Good luck against Fairfield.

10. The Fayetteville Rockets (2-14, 1-9) are having one tough season. They've had to wait a month in between wins, and have lost all but one of their games by double digits. This week they have a Wednesday matchup against Fairfield, before facing a humbled Whiteoak team with something to prove. Ouch.

This week's BIG GAME: Ripley @ Peebles. The Gold Ball is on the Line, as is the best overall SHL record.
This weeks BIGGERER GAME Manchester @ Fairfield. The Hounds need the league win, and the Lions are playing to not have a losing season.

Your Games:

Tuesday, February 8th
*Whiteoak 51
Ripley 78

*Manchester
Fairfield PPD 2/19

Wednesday, February 9th
Northwest
North Adams

*Fairfield 63
Fayetteville 47

Hillsboro 52
Eastern Brown 42

Friday, February 11th
Ironton 57
Manchester 61

*Lynchburg-Clay 62
Eastern Brown 70

*Ripley 77
North Adams 70

St. Patrick's 82
Peebles 109

*West Union 42
Fairfield 67

*Whiteoak 62
Fayetteville 46

Saturday, February 12th
*Ripley 69
Peebles 79

Southern Hills League Standings

OVERALL:
Team - W/L - GB - SHL - STREAK - PCT.

PEB / 17-1 / - / 10-1 / W13 / .944
RIP / 16-2 / 1 / 11-1 / L1 / .889
MN / 15-3 / 2 / 9-2 / W4 / .833
ESB /9-8 / 7.5 / 4-7 / W1 / .529
FRD / 8-9 / 8.5 / 6-5 / W3 / .470
WHK / 7-11 / 10 / 6-6 / W1 / .389
LYN / 7-12 / 10.5 / 6-6 / L1 / .368
NAD / 5-12 / 11.5 / 4-7 / L2 / .294
FAY / 2-16 / 15 / 1-11 / L15 / .111
WU / 1-16 / 15.5 / 0-12 / L14 / .058

DIVISION 1
Team - SHL - PCT. - GB - W/L - PCT. - STREAK

RIP / 11-1 / .916 / - / 16-2 / .889 / L1
LYN / 6-6 / .500 / 5 / 7-12 / .368 / L1
ESB / 4-7 / .363 / 6.5 / 9-8 / .529 / W1
NA / 4-7 / .400 / 6.5 / 5-12 / .294 / L2
WU / 0-12 / .000 / 11 / 1-16 / .058 / L14

DIVISION 2
Team - SHL - PCT. - GB - W/L - PCT. - STREAK

PEB / 10-1 / .900 / - / 17-1 / .944 / W13
MN / 9-2 / .818 / 1 / 15-3 / .833 / W3
FRD / 6-5 / .545 / 4 / 8-9 / .470 / W3
WHK / 6-6 / .500 / 4.5 / 7-11 / .389 / W1
FAY / 1-11 / .083 / 9.5 / 2-16 / .111 / L15

*League Game.
+Awaiting Scores
Last edited by jchitwood on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:40 pm, edited 13 times in total.

BlueJayDad
Riding the Bench

Re: SHL Scores and Standings Week #11

Post by BlueJayDad »

You're missing one game on Tuesday. Ripley is hosting Whiteoak. That seems to have been skipped on a lot of the schedules, but it's their one meeting (non preview) this year!

sinjinian
Freshman Team

Post by sinjinian »

Fairfield destroyed Adena on Saturday night while Cameron Rolark broke the single game 3 point record at Fairfield with 11 three pointers and scored 43 points. I look for Fairfield to ride that momentum to a win at home over Manchester on Tuesday.

peeblesfan97
JV Team

Post by peeblesfan97 »

If Peebles wins -vs- Ripley Saturday will it be enough to get the #1 seed in the DIII Waverly Sectional over Piketon or will the Indians get the #2 seed regardless? Anyone have any thoughts or answers?

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

1st off, I'd like to say that behind pfloyd's rankings, this is easily my favorite thing to read on here every week. You do a great job organizing it and it's a lot of good information.

peeblesfan- It may be enough. Piketon has 2 very tough games this week(@Unioto, who they beat by 6 in Piketon and vs. 12-3 Vinton County) and could drop either one. If they have the same record, I would think Piketon would get it due to S.O.S.(D2 teams galore) but if not, Peebles deserves it. I think Peebles deserves consideration for it regardless, as someone's who has seen both play. Plus, the #2 seed has an easier road to the District Finals, IMO.

TribeManiac10
SEOP

Post by TribeManiac10 »

danicalifornia wrote:1st off, I'd like to say that behind pfloyd's rankings, this is easily my favorite thing to read on here every week. You do a great job organizing it and it's a lot of good information.

peeblesfan- It may be enough. Piketon has 2 very tough games this week(@Unioto, who they beat by 6 in Piketon and vs. 12-3 Vinton County) and could drop either one. If they have the same record, I would think Piketon would get it due to S.O.S.(D2 teams galore) but if not, Peebles deserves it. I think Peebles deserves consideration for it regardless, as someone's who has seen both play. Plus, the #2 seed has an easier road to the District Finals, IMO.
True, but then the 2 would ultimately have to play Chesapeake for a shot at regionals. Its kinda tough to say which is better....#1 and play two good teams or #2 and play a decent team and and probably the best D3 team in the southeast.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

BlueJayDad wrote:You're missing one game on Tuesday. Ripley is hosting Whiteoak. That seems to have been skipped on a lot of the schedules, but it's their one meeting (non preview) this year!
Sorry about that...I even wrote the game on my paper but forgot to type it out.

Pepsiman
JV Team

Post by Pepsiman »

Answering.....your own....questions again? :lol: :

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

samuelk wrote:Fairfield destroyed Adena on Saturday night while Cameron Rolark broke the single game 3 point record at Fairfield with 11 three pointers and scored 43 points. I look for Fairfield to ride that momentum to a win at home over Manchester on Tuesday.
Ah, thanks for mentioning it! I forgot to. Do you think the Lions will have a low tournament seed? What's their sectional look like? I pity the teams that meet them in the bracket.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

Pepsiman wrote:Answering.....your own....questions again? :lol: :
Does anybody have any idea what he's laughing about?

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

An update on the race for the SHL title:

Contenders:
Ripley (9-0)
02-08-11 WHITEOAK
02-11-11 NORTH ADAMS
02-12-11 PEEBLES
02-18-11 MANCHESTER

They need one win to win the big school, and four to take home the gold ball. They have to get through Whiteoak, Peebles, and Manchester first. Prediction: 12-1.

Peebles (9-1)
02-12-11 RIPLEY
02-15-11 NORTH ADAMS
02-18-11 LYNCHBURG-CLAY

Peebles needs to win two of their last three to at least tie for the small school title. The Ripley game will be one of their hardest of the season, and you never know when a Green Devil can sneak up and spoil your fun. Prediction: 12-1.

In the Hunt:

Manchester (9-2)
02-08-11 FAIRFIELD
02-18-11 RIPLEY

After eking out a win against the Lions, the Greyhounds are still on the hunt. If they overcome Ripley and Fairfield and Peebles loses a game, they tie. If Peebles sweeps their final 3, the Greyhounds are a 2nd-place squad. Prediction: 9-4

Longshots:

Lynchburg-Clay (6-5)
02-11-11 EASTERN
02-18-11 PEEBLES

Ripley has to drop four games, Lynchburg needs to beat Eastern and Peebles. No other path to victory. Prediction: 7-6

Whiteoak (5-5)
02-08-11 RIPLEY
02-11-11 FAYETTEVILLE
02-18-11 WEST UNION

After the North Adams loss, I'm goign to have to alter my prediction from 8-5 to 7-6. Also, the loss means they're officially eliminated from contention, and the small school is a two-horse race. Sorry Kitties. Prediction: 7-6

Fairfield (4-5)
02-08-11 MANCHESTER
02-09-11 FAYETTEVILLE
02-11-11 WEST UNION
02-18-11 EASTERN

The loss to Manchester means they can't win the division title, but they can close the gap. I'll stand by my earlier 8-5 prognostication. Prediction: 8-5.

Pepsiman
JV Team

Post by Pepsiman »

jchitwood wrote:

It is against.....the rules to come out.....and say it.Funny thing though......you call for Ripley posters....and 2 magically appear........that is what is funny......it is not....hard to figure....out........... :lol:

sinjinian
Freshman Team

Post by sinjinian »

In Fairfield's sectional, I believe the top six seeds only have to play one game in Lucasville to get to Athens. I would think they will be a top six seed, but with 7 SOC schools and 3 SHL schools in the sectional, you never know what you're going to get. I wouldn't mind seeing them play 2 games in Lucasville to get to enjoy the experience a little more, I think they go to Athens and possibly further regardless of their seed. Big game at home against Manchester tomorrow.

danicalifornia
SEOPS HOF

Post by danicalifornia »

Pepsiman wrote:
jchitwood wrote:

It is against.....the rules to come out.....and say it.Funny thing though......you call for Ripley posters....and 2 magically appear........that is what is funny......it is not....hard to figure....out........... :lol:
Could...be....right...but...two...people...can't...be...on...line...o....n...t...h...e...s...a...m...e...computer...like...j...chit...wood...and...Blue...Jay...Dad...were...a...lit...tle...while...a...go... :lol:

BlueJayDad
Riding the Bench

Post by BlueJayDad »

Pepsiman wrote:
jchitwood wrote:

? So, you think I'm jchitwood under another name? Or am I just misunderstanding you? Sorry, you're wrong. I recently found the site through a google search and was reading around. Saw a LOT of Peebles love and nothing at all for Ripley, which was annoying. Saw the comment made about having someone from Ripley post and nominated myself. I'm funny that way. :roll:

Pepsiman
JV Team

Post by Pepsiman »

OK.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I love a....good cover..... :lol: :lol:

Pepsiman
JV Team

Post by Pepsiman »

danicalifornia wrote:

It is against.....the rules to come out.....and say it.Funny thing though......you call for Ripley posters....and 2 magically appear........that is what is funny......it is not....hard to figure....out........... :lol:[/quote]

Could...be....right...but...two...people...can't...be...on...line...o....n...t...h...e...s...a...m...e...computer...like...j...chit...wood...and...Blue...Jay...Dad...were...a...lit...tle...while...a...go... :lol:[/quote]

Yeah they can............................ :lol:

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

samuelk wrote:In Fairfield's sectional, I believe the top six seeds only have to play one game in Lucasville to get to Athens. I would think they will be a top six seed, but with 7 SOC schools and 3 SHL schools in the sectional, you never know what you're going to get. I wouldn't mind seeing them play 2 games in Lucasville to get to enjoy the experience a little more, I think they go to Athens and possibly further regardless of their seed. Big game at home against Manchester tomorrow.
I don't think an extra game would hurt them, but I'd still loike to see them get to Athens as quick as possible.

jchitwood
All State

Post by jchitwood »

We're glad to have you BlueJayDad...the Western end of the SHL is under-represented here, and news travels slowly up from the river. Now if only we can get some other Brown County fans to join the SEOP train...

Pepsiman
JV Team

Post by Pepsiman »

There will be....a couple of...Brown County fans....be showing....up soon...... :lol:

Return to “Boys Basketball”